Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 17th 2013 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
From Page A1
It stated: "We refer to your refusal to report for
work and carry out duties on August 14 and 15
along with other employees, while on the plant...In
this regard, you are suspended with full pay with
effect from August 16 pending completion of our
Defining what she meant by suspension "pending
an investigation," she said: "As far as we are con-
cerned, the work stoppage was an unlawful one.
This happened since Tuesday...who were suspended
today were gone for the entire three days, there are
varying persons who have been affected differently,
so all these things have to be taken into consid-
But Gilbert denied yesterday that 60 employees
had been sent home, saying that the figure was
Describing the protest as "unlawful," Gilbert said
every attempt would be made to ensure that the
company s operations were not affected.
NP has indicated that the action did not affect
the country s fuel supplies, but workers yesterday
suggested that while it was not their intention to
disrupt supplies, shortages could result soon.
Responding to the allegation that attempts were
being made to privatise NP s operations, Gilbert
said that was not so.
"The training of NP management and staff in
the operations at the Point-a-Pierre bond was in
no way intended to replace permanent employees,"
"NP s network of dealers and franchises has been
clamouring for a more efficient distribution system,
which the company sought to provide by training
additional members of our management and staff
to meet the shortfall in staffing," Gilbert said.
She added that it was not the first time that
training had been done in gantry operations, so "it
was not something out of the ordinary, it was
explained (to the workers)."
Gilbert said there were no untrained workers
operating the gantry.
Regarding workers demand to meet with man-
agement, Gilbert said NP s management was yet
to decide on that.
Talks between the union and management were
ongoing up to last evening.
Saturday, August 17, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Moodie on Nido reassignment:
Leader of the Highway Action Committee
Edward Moodie says he will not be silenced
even though his employer, the National
Infrastructural Development Company
(Nidco), has relieved him of his duties as a
liaison for the South Oropouche residents
who will be affected by the Solomon Hochoy
Moodie, a community outreach consultant
with Nidco, made the comment yesterday,
after he met with his employers to discuss
his new job at the proposed San Fernando
to Princes Town highway, another phase of
the highway project which has not yet been
He was reassigned to the San Fernando to
Princes Town highway phase on Thursday.
Yesterday, however, he admitted to being
confused about whether he could say much
to the media in future, since part of his new
contract stated that his work must be kept
"I don t know if I can tell you anything
because one of the clauses is that it is highly
confidential and I feel if you print anything,
they will have an avenue to say Moodie
breached confidentiality so we will have to
fire you, " he said.
Despite accepting the new position, Moodie
insisted it was in effect a gag order by Nidco
after he led Monday s protest by residents of
south Trinidad who are affected by the con-
struction of the San Fernando to Point Fortin
Residents of Debe, South Oropouche and
Mon Desir claimed Nidco was offering unfair
compensation for their property and threat-
ened that if they refused sign an agreement,
their homes would be broken down without
"At the end of the day, it is just a strategy
to keep me busy and keep me away from the
people," Moodie said yesterday.
He said he was given two weeks to complete
his new project, but noted he felt it would
actually take between three and six months
to be completed.
He said he did not know what resources
were being allocated to him, but said he was
not interested in the project while there was
much work to be done on the San Fernando
to Point Fortin Highway.
Saying that Nidco was aware of the level
of work being done in the communities, he
said their real intention was to get him out
of the area.
"I will continue to stand with the people
and will continue to do what I have been
doing. After all, I am the president of the
Debe to Mon Desir Highway Action Com-
mittee," he said.
"I was asked basically to do a proposal for
some social services along the new highway
to Princes Town. One must bear in mind that
we have so many problems on this highway.
"It is hard to understand why a stakeholder
like me, they will want to move me right now,
away from the issue when we can even sit
and solve it in a few days time."
Moodie said residents would continue to
hold off protest actions as they await word
from Works and Infrastructure Minister Dr
Surujrattan Rambachan and Nidco officials,
on when a meeting would be held with res-
idents to discuss the current impasse.
I will not be silenced
He walked without
crutches but Minister
of the People and
walked toward the
shelter at La Vega
Estate, Gran Couva,
to exchange vows
with Arlene Maharaj
KRISTIAN DE SILVA
GLEN SAYS 'I DO'
in critical talks
Acting Corporate Communications Manager of NP
Rae Gilbert at yesterday's press conference. PHOTO:
Links Archive August 16th 2013 August 18th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page