Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 17th 2013 Contents A28
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, August 17, 2013
NEW DELHI---Divers have found the bodies
of four sailors who were on board an Indian
naval submarine that was badly damaged
by a fire after an explosion, but it was
unlikely any of the 14 other crew members
would be found alive, the navy said yes-
The explosion in a weapons store in the
forward section of the Russian-built INS
Sindhurakshak on Tuesday night caused a
fire so hot, it melted steel as the vessel lay
berthed in Mumbai, resulting in the navy s
worst loss in more than four decades.
"The bodies are severely disfigured and
not identifiable due to severe burns. The
bodies have been sent to INHS Ashiwini, the
naval hospital for DNA identification,"
spokesman Narendra Vispute told reporters.
In an earlier statement, the navy said the
heat of the exploding weapons made it unlike-
ly anybody inside could have survived.
The sinking of the diesel-powered sub-
marine is the biggest blow for the navy, both
in terms of lives and the loss of a vessel,
since a frigate was sunk in the 1971 war with
It has turned the spotlight on the navy s
ageing submarine fleet even as it spends bil-
lions of rupees on aircraft carriers to counter
the rising influence of the Chinese navy in
the Indian Ocean.
The Sindhurakshak is a Kilo class vessel,
built in former Soviet and later Russian ship-
yards for the Indian navy from 1985 to 2000.
The navy has ten of the submarines and four
German HDW boats. (Reuters)
India navy: 4 bodies found in submarine
'No chance of survivors'
MARIKANA---Opponents of President Jacob
Zuma turned the anniversary of South Africa s
bloodiest post-apartheid mine violence into an
attack on his failure to tackle poverty and inequal-
ity yesterday after his government shunned a
memorial event for slain miners.
In a decision highlighting the ruling African
National Congress (ANC) s loss of support among
many mineworkers, Zuma s government backed
out of the ceremony commemorating 34 striking
platinum workers killed by police at Lonmin s
Last year s so-called "Marikana massacre" was
the deadliest incident of its kind since the 1994
end of white-minority rule. It shocked South
Africans and the world and drew attention to
growing workers dissatisfaction with Zuma and
the ANC s rule.
Instead of attending the Marikana memorial
event, Zuma flew to a regional summit in neigh-
While seats reserved for cabinet ministers at
the memorial remained empty, leading critics of
Zuma who plan to challenge him and the ANC
in elections next year pilloried his government s
handling of labor unrest and popular protests
against widespread poverty and unemployment.
Addressing thousands of miners gathered at the
rocky outcrop where their colleagues died last year
in hail of police gunfire, former ANC Youth League
leader Julius Malema told the president and his
party: "You ve got blood on your hands!" (Reuters)
Zuma draws fire on
South Africa mine
HARARE---Zimbabwe s opposition MDC yesterday
withdrew a court challenge against president Robert
Mugabe s re-election through a vote the party had
denounced as fraudulent, saying it was being denied
crucial evidence by election officials.
Mugabe, 89, and his ZANU-PF party were declared
winners of the July 31 election but the Movement
for Democratic Change (MDC) led by outgoing prime
minister Morgan Tsvangirai had filed a motion for
the constitutional court to overturn the result.
A hearing on the MDC challenge, which had alleged
widespread vote-rigging and intimidation by ZANU-
PF, had been planned for Saturday.
"I can confirm that we have withdrawn the pres-
idential election petition. There are a number of rea-
sons, including the failure by the Zimbabwe Electoral
Commission to release critical evidence in this matter,"
MDC spokesman Douglas Mwonzora said.
The decision appeared to end any hope of further
action by MDC through the courts, which Tsangirai s
party have said are dominated by ZANU-PF along
with other state institutions in the southern African
nation that was formerly known as Rhodesia.
Mugabe, Africa s oldest leader, who has ruled since
independence from Britain in 1980, this week told
critics of his re-election to "go hang", making clear
he would brook no questioning of his disputed victory
either from the West or his MDC rival.
Pointing to flaws in the July 31 vote cited by domes-
tic observers, Western governments---especially the
United States---have questioned the credibility of the
election outcome and are considering whether to
prolong sanctions against Mugabe.
But Mugabe is drawing comfort from African elec-
tion observers who endorsed the elections as largely
free and orderly and have urged Zimbabweans to
move on peacefully. Western observers were barred
from observing the vote. (Reuters)
drops court challenge
to Mugabe re-election
Links Archive August 16th 2013 August 18th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page