Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 4th 2013 Contents B14
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Continued on page 15
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. It is always important that parents or
guardians assist and encourage their children
as they prepare for their S.E.A Examination.
Write a letter to your parents/guardians, de-
scribing to them at least three (3) ways in
which you think they can help you.
2. Have you ever had to assist a close relative in
an emergency? Write a story beginning with
the following line:- "I knew that the situation
was very serious but (name the person) des-
perately needed my help."
3. During your most recent vacation, you may
not have been able to do some of the things
that you wished. Write a story that begins
with the following line: "I tremendously en-
joyed my recent vacation but I really wished
that I had the opportunity to...." (name at
least three (3) things that you were unable to
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write the name of the Part of Speech of
each underlined word.
(a) Besides Jason, Eden and Alex will (b) also
accompany us. (a) Preposition (b) Adverb
1. (a) Oh my gosh! It is really not smart being a
(b) late riser. (a) ___________ (b) ___________
2. We'll (a) certainly make the decision (b)
when you arrive. (a) ___________ (b)
3. He (a) shall soon know whether he's still a
member of (b) their team. (a) ___________
4. Be careful, (a) some of you are walking too
(b) near that huge ditch. (a) ___________ (b)
B. Put in the Past Tense or the Past Participle
of the verbs on the left to complete each of
the following sentences.
BURN (S1) The victim had been badly burnt
in the recent fire. (Past. Part)
SLIP (S2) Rufus slipped as he was climbing
down the coconut tree. (Past
5. BRING Delia has _________ some delicious,
ripe mangoes for her grandmother.
6. HIDE The boys ____________ among the
bushes during the game.
7. STING The wasp had ______________ her
on her left shoulder.
8. TEACH Miss Simone _____________ us a
most interesting Science lesson,
C. Circle one (1) of the words in the brackets
to complete each sentence correctly.
He is one of the persons who were involved
(with; in) the accident.
9. You can always rely (towards; on) either of
them to assist you.
10. The coach definitely blamed him (for; with)
the blunder that occurred during the match.
11. The girls will be attending the show, once
their parents approve (about; of) it.
12. The doctor advised the patient to abstain
(from; against) all citrus fruits.
D. Write, in the brackets, the shortened form
of each set of underlined words in the fol-
We have (We've) only arrived here this
13. Why should she not (___________) be se-
lected to be on the team?
14. I will not (___________) be able to attend the
15. Were you not (___________) there when they
16. People are not (___________) expected to
speak loudly in a library.
E. Write in the brackets, the singular form of
each underlined word to complete the fol-
These farmers love to plant crops in the val-
17. We usually listen to the seven p.m. news.
18. Janine's sisters in law (___________) will visit
19. The oranges had been cut into halves
(___________) for the dessert.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Underline each error then rewrite only
the correction in the brackets provided.
On Saturday, we had curry chicken for lunch.
20. The driver had used up all the gasoline for the
long trip. (___________)
21. The lost dog was wandering outside of the
house in the forest. (___________)
22. Mrs. Maraj, with her two children are visiting
the museum, today. (___________)
everyone, at $19.50 each. How much money
did they spend in all?
(a) What was the total amount they paid in
income tax and insurance together?
(b) What percent of their total earnings was
paid to income tax and insurance?
a. How many marbles did John get?
b. How many marbles did his sister take?
46. A family has 7 members. Each member
spends $12.00 for admission at the cinema.
The family met 2 friends and bought lunch for
Links Archive September 3rd 2013 September 5th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page