Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 18th 2013 Contents B28
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Continued on page 15
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Suppose: You have won a shopping spree for
five minutes in a grocery. How do you intend
to obtain as many groceries as possible? How
would you go about choosing the items that
you love to eat? Answer these questions as
you write a story that begins with the fol-
lowing line: "I was about to have a most excit-
ing experience and I would make sure that I
benefit from it the most..."
2. Sometimes, there are things that bother you
and may even make you become angry. Write
a letter to a close friend that begins with the
following line: "Oh my gosh! This really bugs
3. Most likely, everyone in your class is hoping to
do well in the next SEA examination. Besides
this, what would be one (1) more thing that
you will really like to do successfully by the
time you are ready to leave your standard five
class? Write a letter to a relative that begins
with the following line: "I hope to do well in
my SEA examination but I would also love to
(name the activity) by the time I am ready to
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Replace each underlined word/phrase with a
Tomorrow, my sister and I (we) will visit our
1. The choir of young singers (_________) had
performed beautifully at the concert.
2. The higher branches (_________) were being
shaken vigorously by the powerful wind.
3. Will my brother and I (_________) be accom-
panying you, tomorrow?
4. My older sister (_________) is very helpful at
B. Use one (1 ) of the following prefixes to
complete each of the given sentences.
en-; contra-; trans-; ir-; de-; re-.
The water was transformed into ice after a
5. His attendance at school for this month has
been quite ______ regular.
6. The baby sitter was ______ trusted with car-
ing for the infant while her parents were
7. She always loves to ______ dict everything
8. Mr. Charles was ______ barred from becoming
President of the association.
C. Put in the correct form of each word inside
the brackets to complete each of the follow-
We had (decide) decided that we would
(play) play the game for only an hour.
9. The vendors (sell) __________ all the produce
that they had (bring) ____________ to the
10. Richard (hurt) ____________ his hand while
(hit) _________ the ball to the boundary.
11. The President (speak) _________ to the crowd
after the vote was (take) ________.
12. It was (calculate) __________ that George
Bovell had (swim) ___________ the race in a
new record time.
D. Rewrite each of the following sentences,
putting in the longer form of each under-
(S1) Shouldn't you inform them first before
making the decision?
(S2) Should you not inform them first
before making the decision?
13. The boys won't know about the show unless
you inform them.
14. Haven't we been there, before?
15. You mustn't give up so easily without a fight.
16. He'd tell us as soon as he has received all the
E. Join each part in Section A to one of the
clauses in B to form complete sentences.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read each sentence well, underline
the error then write only the correction in-
side the brackets provided.
Janet and Jenelle have loved one another
since they were little children. (each)
20. We'd rather if you visit us at five o'clock.
21. You could have informed us that the match
had been cancelled. (___________)
22. Please try and come early to avoid the rush.
b. What fraction of the stock was not sold?
46. For each dollar Paul spends he paid 15% Value
Added Tax. How much VAT did he pay on an
item which costs $65?
45. In two days 1/3 of the original stock in a store
was sold. During the next 3 days 1/4 of the
balance of the stock was sold.
a. How much of the stock was sold in the 5
Ex. Please let me know as carefully as she
17. The cyclists rode
around the track
as soon as you have
18. Judy poured the hot
milk into her mug just as fast as they
had started the race.
19. We'll visit you
when you are coming.
Links Archive September 17th 2013 September 19th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page