Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 27th 2013 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, September 27, 2013
Gary Griffith s new position as
National Security Minister may
be short- lived, if allegations made
by ILP leader Jack Warner that the
position has been offered to Crime
Watch host Ian Alleyne for him to
contest the St Joseph seat for the
PP is true.
Warner, speaking on an ILP
political platform at Market Square,
Point Fortin, on Thursday night,
accused the PP of undermining
He claimed that after losing two
elections, the PP was so desperate
to win the St Joseph seat that it
approached Alleyne, dangling the
National Security post before him
if he accepted the offer.
Warner added: "Things are so
bad with them (PP), last Thursday
the AG calls Ian Alleyne. He puts
Kamla (Prime Minister Kamla Per-
sad-Bissessar) on the other line and
the AG is begging Ian to go up for
St Joseph, telling Ian that if he
accepts, they will make him Min-
ister of National Security.
"And they appoint one two
weeks ago. They have begun to
undermine the very man they
appointed two weeks ago."
Warner challenged the AG to
deny the claim.
"They want Ian Alleyne to go up
in St Joseph and then give the ILP
wetting, after wetting, after wet-
ting," he added.
Alleyne's attorney, Om Lalla, is
tipped to be the ILP candidate for
But Alleyne, in a subsequent
interview with the T&T Guardian,
denied receiving a call from Attor-
ney General Anand Ramlogan offer-
ing him the position of National
He, however, said if offered the
opportunity he would think about
"If it means taking Crime Watch
to a next level in dealing with the
crime from a parliamentary level I
have no problem with that," Alleyne
He maintained he had the skills
and the contacts to get rid of crime,
especially in St Joseph.
He added: "Jack Warner needs
to get his facts right. The Prime
Minister has never asked me about
anything pertaining to St Joseph.
"However, in the interest of
country, I don't really give a hoot
about party and what not but I can
tell you Jack Warner bringing that
on the platform is a clear indication
that he is fearful of that."
Alleyne said he heard rumours
his name was being called as a can-
didate to contest the St Joseph seat.
He added: "I have known the
Attorney General even prior to [his]
assuming the role of Attorney Gen-
"On numerous times the Attor-
ney General and other government
officials have assisted me with cer-
tain crime victims with whatever
level of assistance they could offer.
"It's not really a strange thing
that I am having a conversation
with the Attorney General."
He said he had also had "cordial
discussions" with Persad-Bissessar
in the past.
"I assume we have a very good
relationship as in the past I texted
her. I have called and she would
return my call.
"But I have never really have a
cause to call her in recent times
but that doesn't say we have a
strained relationship," Alleyne
Griffith, who was appointed to
the post recently after a third Cab-
inet reshuffle, did not answer calls
to his cellphone yesterday.
A message was sent to the AG
asking for his comment on the
claim but there was no reply.
(See Page A17)
Alleyne: AG offered me no security post
One of the suspended employ-
ees from last year s 92-day strike
at the Trinidad Cement Limited
(TCL) is on the verge of losing
his home because he could not
pay his mortgage for the past
Derry Hutchinson said so after
the Industrial Court upheld the
workers' right to strike yesterday.
The court delivered judgment in
the matter yesterday ordering TCL
to pay a fine of $10,000.
"It has been really hard. It has
been difficult. It is a pure injustice
really seeking some sort of justice
from the court for this to be all
over," Hutchinson told the T&T
"What I expect is justice to be
served and if justice is served,
then yes, I do expect some sort
of compensation for what has
been done to me.
"In a country where you see
justice swaying back-and-forth...
who knows... who can tell."
During what he defined as an
18-month ordeal, there were
moments when Hutchinson said
he was unable to send his two
children to school.
Part of the legal battle between
the Oilfields Workers' Trade Union
(OWTU) and TCL ended yester-
day as the court ruled that the
company was in violation of the
workers' rights. The court ordered
TCL to pay $10,000 on or before
the end of September. However,
the matter of whether the com-
pany was justified in suspending
the employees will be determined
at a later date.
President of the court, Deborah
Thomas-Felix, in delivering the
court's findings yesterday said:
"We find, as a fact, that there was
an agreement between the parties
... that all workers must return to
work at the end of the strike.
TCL fined $10,000 for procedural breach
"This is the only accessible outcome
to the end of the period of strike
between the parties and this is also a
natural consequence to the end of any
"We further find that the company's
decision to prevent workers, among
them officials of the union, from
returning to the workplace at the end
of the strike for what appears to be
an indeterminate period is a serious
impediment to the exercise of the right
to strike of these workers."
She said the company was guilty
of an industrial relations offence and
required to pay the $10,000 fine.
While Hutchinson said he was
happy at the outcome, no fixed time-
frame was given for the workers' to
return to work due to the pending
Workers at the cement company
went on strike for 92-days last year,
after the company and the union failed
to come to an agreement over nego-
tiations for the period 2009-2011.
There were also allegations of criminal
action of which the court said it took
First vice-president of the union,
Carlton Gibson, described the judg-
ment as a "milestone" and that it
"reinforced workers' right to strike."
OWTU members from TCL celebrate their victory outside the Industrial Court, St Vincent Street Port-of-Spain,
yesterday. PHOTO: MARYANN AUGUSTE
Links Archive September 26th 2013 September 28th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page