Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 30th 2013 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, September 30, 2013
6.1000 6.2568 6.4445
5.7832 6.0876 6.4224
9.5686 10.0722 10.6161
8.0333 8.4561 8.9212
****** 0.0636 0.0674
2.1096 2.2930 2.4535
* 2.5654 ****** 3.2679
for SEPTEMBER 27th 2013
We are now recruiting suitably experienced persons
to join our team as the following;
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATORS:
Required for all types of Heavy equipment:
COMPETITIVE PAY OFFER
For immediate employment contact: 790- 0329
HENRY STREET, PORT OF SPAIN
623-2038 OR 789-5784
Between 9am and 4pm
Environmental activist Dr
Wayne Kublalsingh says he will
return to the Mon Desir site to
engage in peaceful protest imme-
diately after his appearance in the
Siparia Magistrates Court today.
He also expects to hold demon-
strations in Port-of-Spain this
week to highlight the plight of
hundreds of home-owners who
stand to lose their properties as a
result of the construction of a con-
tentious highway extension.
Kublalsingh was arrested twice
last week on charges of obstruction
and resisting arrest while he and
members of the Highway Re-route
Movement attempted to block
bulldozers from Brazilian construc-
tion company OAS Construtora
from working on the Mon Desir
section of the Solomon Hochoy
Highway extension in south
In a telephone interview yester-
day, Kublalsingh, who was released
on Saturday on $10,000 bail, said
he had agreed to stay away from
the site until his court appearance
"After that we will go back down
to the campsite in Mon Desir. We
will go back to the site to monitor
work there and will do anything
that is legal and peaceful to stop
work if there are any bulldozers in
sight," he said.
OAS Construtora has started soil
testing and construction work on
Kublalsingh said this was with-
out any permission or compensa-
tion agreed upon with residents.
"It is private lands and the res-
idents have not given permission
to use those lands, but they are
invoking what is called Section 4
(Section 4 of the Land Acquisitions
Act)," he said.
"They have given them four
notices. This seems to give them
the legal right to acquire land to
do the work.
"It is a punitive and draconian
law which they are using against
the residents in the area."
Kublalsingh said residents were
prepared to take whatever peaceful
action was necessary to defend
their properties and their heritage.
He said all this was happening
because the Prime Minister
"We sat in front of her office
for 50 days asking her to abide by
the Armstrong report and she did
not meet us or reply to us," he said.
The Armstrong report on the
Debe to Mon Desir section of the
highway was produced by a team
of 19 specialists after a hunger
strike by Kublalsingh last year.
The committee was led by for-
mer Independent senator Dr James
Armstrong and reported that there
were deficiencies in the Environ-
mental Impact Assessment and
Certificate of Environment Clear-
ance processes used by the Gov-
The report also said the cost-
benefit analysis fell short of inter-
national best practice.
Kublalsingh promises peaceful protest...
Back to Mon Desir today after court
There will be traffic restrictions in the areas
of St Clair, Tragarete Road and the Lapeyrouse
Cemetery between 1 pm and 3 pm today.
The restrictions are being put in place to accom-
modate the funeral procession of Brig Joseph
Theodore s funeral will take place at 10.30 am
at St Finbar s RC Church, Morne Coco Road, Diego
Martin, before a military procession along Tragarete
Road to the Lapeyrouse Cemetery.
A release from the T&T Coast Guard said: "Fol-
lowing the procession as is customary with mil-
itary-led funerals there will be a volley of uniformed
gunshots coming from the cemetery.
"The public is advised to be guided accordingly,
as we take this time to celebrate the life and lay
to rest one of our country s distinguished gentle-
The Defence Force invited members of the public
and businesses along the route to line the streets
to pay their final respects to Theodore.
Theodore died of a heart attack two Saturdays
ago after being taken to the Westshore Medical
Centre. He had complained earlier of chest pains.
Serving as Chief of Defence Staff between 1990
and 1991, Theodore led the charge against the
Jamaat al Muslimeen in the 1990 attempted coup.
put in place for
Workmen at the site of the newly-installed Oropune Walkover yesterday which caused the closure the Churchill Roosevelt-Highway,
between the Trincity intersection and the Golden Grove intersection to vehicular traffic between Saturday night and last night.
Motorists were allowed to use the Priority Bus Route between Macoya to Omeara yesterday as a result of the road closure.
PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
WORK IN PROGRESS
More seismic tests for
Couva hospital site,
says Moonilal---Page A10
Links Archive September 29th 2013 October 1st 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page