Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 2nd 2013 Contents Continued on page 15
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Some times, a friend might become ill in
school and we have to help that person, im-
mediately. Write a story about an incident
when you became ill in school and a close
friend had to assist you. Let your story begin
with the following line: "I do not understand
what was happening to me but I suddenly felt
2. Recently, in Trinidad, a ban was started on the
hunting of wild life. Do you think that there
should be a period of time during which
hunters in Trinidad, are prevented from killing
all wild animals, for example, agouti, deer, and
so on? Write a letter to the Minister of the
environment, giving reasons, in detail, why
you think that hunters should/should not be
prevented from hunting wild life in Trinidad
3. Have you ever experienced something, either
being somewhere or doing something (apart
from studying for your S.E.A) that made you
wish that it would be over as soon as possi-
ble? Write a story that begins with the fol-
lowing words: "I had enjoyed this (name the
activity/ experience) up to a certain point but I
sincerely hoped that it would end soon..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write "Pro" (Pronoun ) or "Adj" (Adjective)
to name the underlined word in each sen-
(S1) Is this your pack of juice? (Adj.)
(S2) I think yours is in the refrigerator. (Pro.)
1. Our dog is very curious. (_________)
2. We have tasted many types of dessert but
hers is the best. (_________)
3. We knew that his batting would have been
4. Your pictures are pretty but theirs are just
B. Using one (1) of the words within the brack-
ets, form a suitable adverb to complete each
of the following sentences.
The player, after dodging his opponent, ran
anxiously towards the open goal.
5. The waitress ____________ spread the table
cloth on the dinner table. (neat; easy)
6. The waitress ____________ spread the table
cloth on the dinner table. (courteous; willing)
7. Rover ______________ lunged at the stranger
who was attempting to enter our yard.
8. The tennis champion _____________ won the
game with her expert moves on the court.
C. Use a suitable pronoun to replace each un-
derlined word/group of words.
Helen and her sister (They) will visit Gregory
and me (us.) next week.
9. Daddy and the workmen (_________) will dis-
cuss the house repairs (_________) later,
10. Can Chloe (_________) spend the day with
Gillian, (_________), tomorrow?
11. The bag of plums (_________) is on the table
next to Faye and Denise (_________).
12. Mr. Jacobs (_________) has been very helpful
to our friend, Sheldon (_________).
D. Change the following sentences to Direct
(S1) The wrapper asked the customer
whether she would like her to put her
groceries into separate bags.
(S2) The wrapper asked the customer, "Will
you like me to put your groceries into
13. The teacher reminded the pupils that they
should bring their note books for their visit to
soft drink factory, the following week.
14. The coach advised the players that that was
the plan which he thought they should follow
when they met the other team for the finals,
the next day.
15. Mummy asked the girls what they thought
would be a good gift for their favourite cousin
for her birthday, on the following month.
E. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline
each error then write only the correction in-
side the given brackets.
While driving home from work, the rising
flood waters forced my brother to move to
higher grounds for his own safety. (he was
16. I knew that we should have went there much
17. That job should be easy for he is accustomed
with doing similar things.(____________)
18. Tomorrow is the deadline for paying our
w.a.s.a bill. (____________)
19. One should not always expect to have his own
F. Join each set of sentences by using a suit-
able pronoun or conjunction. (Some small
changes may be necessary)
(S1) You arrive on time. We will be able to
catch the early bus.
(S2) If you arrive on time we will be able to
catch the early bus. (Conjunction)
20. Jason is an excellent cricketer. Jason never
misses a practice session before an important
21. Arthur was not chosen to play. He attended
the game to support his friends.
22. This is my favourite aunt. We have enjoyed
many delicious meals from her kitchen.
Links Archive October 1st 2013 October 3rd 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page