Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 7th 2013 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, October 7, 2013
#1-7 Fitz Blackman Drive
(next to the National Stadium)
Port of Spain, Trinidad W.I.
Fax: 868 623-6766
with quali ed MRI Technologists,
MRI Radiologists and MRI Physicists.
The country's most
After almost half a year, no
headway has been made into a
police probe and an investigation
by the Integrity Commission into
e-mails purportedly exchanged
between Prime Minister Kamla
Persad-Bissessar and other high
Government officials arising out
of the Section 34 fiasco.
The other Government officials
are Attorney General Anand Ram-
logan, Minister of Works Dr Suruj
Rambachan, Tourism Minister
Chandresh Sharma and National
Security Minister Gary Griffith.
The e-mails, which allegedly
revealed a conspiracy to kill a jour-
nalist, bribe the Chief Justice and
spy on the Office of the Director
of Public Prosecutions, were dis-
closed in Parliament in May this
year by Opposition Leader Dr Keith
Persad-Bissessar and her col-
leagues denied any knowledge of
the e-mails and labelled them fakes,
but the PM ordered a police probe
into the matter. A few months later,
the Integrity Commission also
announced it too had began an
But, to date, nothing has come
out of either investigation.
"The probe appears to be at a
standstill," Israel Khan SC, lawyer
for the PM, told the T&T Guardian
"The last thing we are waiting
on is to see whether Deputy Com-
missioner of Police Mervyn
Richardson would accept our sug-
gestion to allow our service provider
to provide information in relation
to the allegations made by Rowley.
"Whether they were sent from
the Prime Minister s e-mail and
the e-mails of the others, we are
yet to hear from him."
Khan s comment came a day
after Persad-Bissessar said he had
been put in charge of her affairs in
the matter. She made the comment
after returning home from Panama
Yesterday, however, Khan said
his last correspondence with
Richardson, lead investigator into
the probe, was about one month
Asked what he felt could be
stalling Richardson, Khan replied,
"He said he s waiting on guidance
and instructions from Deputy
Director of Public Prosecutions
Asked why he felt Honore was
taking so long, he said, "I don t
know. Maybe she s overworked."
As for the Integrity Commis-
sion s investigation, Khan said the
commissioners requested that he
ask Google Inc to provide infor-
mation for September 2012. He
said he wrote a reply letter to the
commission asking it consider cer-
tain questions before the informa-
tion was requested from Google.
One of the questions is what was
the basis for conducting a probe
into the e-mails, Khan said.
"It has been proven beyond a
reasonable doubt that the e-mails
were fabricated," he said.
Asked who proved this, Khan
replied, "Well, everybody. Even
Rowley admitted it. We brought
experts who examined them. What
Rowley has are not e-mails.
"According to legislation, in order
for the Integrity Commission to
request the provider to supply
information, it must arrive at a
conclusion that the Prime Minister
may have committed some corrupt
Khan, noting that the police and
the Integrity Commission are con-
ducting a probe and an investiga-
tion simultaneously, asked, "Why
don t they (the Integrity Commis-
sion) let the police do its work?
There is no factual basis for con-
ducting a criminal investigation,
so that s why it s a probe."
Also contacted yesterday for an
update on the police probe,
Richardson said he gave an inter-
view on the matter last week and
there have been no further devel-
opments since then.
Richardson said last week that
the Integrity Commission might
have more luck getting information
from Google than he did. He said
the commission seemed to be mov-
ing faster than the police in its
investigation, as it had been several
months since he wrote Google and
had had no response.
The police, so far, have inter-
viewed several persons in relation
to the probe and said they wrote
several e-mail providers, but have
gotten no response to date.
The Integrity Commission said
it had already approached and
received communications from "an
international electronic mail service
provider and is moving ahead with
A 34-year-old man was killed oppo-
site an apartment building at the cor-
ner of Duke and Nelson streets in
Police said Winston Callender was
shot several times about the body by
a group of men around 9.30 am. The
men were reportedly from the Duncan
Callender died at the scene.
Insp Browne, Cpl Phillips, PC Bissoon
and officers from the Homicide Bureau,
Besson Street Police Station and Crime
Scene Unit visited the scene.
At the scene yesterday, a man who
identified himself as the father of the
deceased visited and left.
Police said they had heard "rumours"
that Callender was killed because of
an ongoing war between Nelson and
Duncan Street gangs.
Meanwhile, gang warfare continued
in Malabar with the death of a 30-
year-old man on Saturday morning.
Ancil Jerome Alonso was shot while
walking along Laqua Avenue around
Police said Alonso was shot seven
times about the body.
Residents who heard the gunshots
and saw two men running away from
the scene notified the police.
Cpl Jones and a party of officers from
the Homicide Bureau and Northern
Division visited the scene.
Investigators said they believe the
gunmen shot him from the side and,
when he fell, shot him in the back.
Police said there was a raging gang
war in the community, as three other
people were killed last week in Malabar.
Residents also complained of gunfire
during the past few nights.
Officers from the Region Two Homi-
cide officers are continuing investiga-
The murder toll stood at 301 up to
PM's lawyer on Section 34 progress:
at a standstill
Man gunned down in PoS
These youngsters try their hand at rock-climbing during the Jericho Project's
annual party for orphans and underprivileged children at the Queen's Park
Savannah, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. PHOTO: BRIAN NG FATT
Links Archive October 6th 2013 October 8th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page