Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 16th 2013 Contents A40
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Natasha K. Baiju-Patrick
54, Richmond Street
In The Petty Civil Court of San Fernando
(Petty Civil Court Ordinance Ch. 3 .No. 3)
No: 231 of 2007
34 Scotland Drive
Trading as Aquarium Restaurant &
41 Corinth Road
Richard D. Chung
1 Gretram Terrace
Richard D. Chung
1 Gretram Terrace,
Petit Bough, San Juan
Take Notice that an Ordinary
Summons has been filed against
you the above named Balkaran
Kalpee and Richard D. Chung on the
29th August, 2013 in the Petty Civil
Court, San Fernando by Natasha K.
Baiju-Patrick Attorney-at-Law of No.
54 Richmond Street. Port-of-Spain.
You may apply to the Petty Civil
Court, Court Street, San Fernando
for a copy of the said Ordinary
And Further Take Notice that on the
27th day of August, 2013 it was
ordered that the firm of Natasha
Baiju-Patrick do effect service of the
said Ordinary Summons filed on the
29th day of August, 2013 with notice
of the adjourned date by way of
advertisement of publication in a
daily newspaper of general circula-
tion in Trinidad and Tobago.
And Further Take Notice that
Ordinary Summons filed on the 29th
day of August 2013 is adjourned to
13th day of November, 2013.
If you desire to defend that said
Summons you must enter a n
acknowledgement at the Petty Civil
Court, Court Street, San Fernando.
In default the Court may hear the
case in your absence.
Dated this 10th October, 2013.
Natasha K. Baiju-Patrick
NEW ORLEANS---A former Hallibur-
ton manager yesterday pleaded guilty
to destroying evidence in the aftermath
of the deadly rig explosion that
spawned BP s massive 2010 oil spill in
the Gulf of Mexico.
Anthony Badalamenti, 62, faces a
maximum sentence of one year in prison
and a US$100,000 fine after his guilty
plea in US District Court to one mis-
demeanor count of destruction of evi-
dence. His sentencing by US District
Judge Jay Zainey is set for January 21.
Badalamenti was the cementing tech-
nology director for Halliburton Energy
Services Inc, BP s cement contractor on
the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig. Pros-
ecutors said he instructed two Hallibur-
ton employees to delete data during a
post-spill review of the cement job on
BP s blown-out Macondo well.
Last month, a federal judge accepted
a separate plea agreement calling for
Halliburton to pay a $200,000 fine for
a misdemeanor stemming from Badala-
menti s conduct. Halliburton also agreed
to be on probation for three years and
to make a $55 million contribution to
the National Fish and Wildlife Founda-
tion, but that payment was not a con-
dition of the deal.
The April 20, 2010, rig explosion killed
11 workers and led to America s worst
offshore oil spill.
In May 2010, according to prosecutors,
Badalamenti directed a senior pro-
gramme manager to run computer sim-
ulations on centralisers, which are used
to keep the casing centered in the well-
bore. The results indicated there was
little difference between using six or 21
The data could have supported BP s
decision to use the lower number, but
Justice Department prosecutor William
Pericak said the number of centralizers
had "little effect" on the outcome of
Badalamenti instructed the pro-
gramme manager to delete the results.
The programme manager "felt uncom-
fortable" about the instruction but com-
plied, according to prosecutors.
A different Halliburton employee also
deleted data from a separate round of
simulations at the direction of Badala-
menti, prosecutors said.
Halliburton notified investigators from
a Justice Department task force about
the deletion of data. Efforts to recover
the data weren t successful.
During yesterday s hearing, Zainey
pressed the attorneys to explain how
Badalamenti s actions amounted to a
Tai Park, one of Badalamenti s attor-
neys, said the misdemeanor charge to
which his client pleaded guilty doesn t
require "criminal intent, in the sense of
Pericak said Badalamenti intentionally
ordered the deletion of the data even
though another Halliburton executive
instructed him to preserve all material
related to BP s blown-out well.
Sentencing guidelines calculated by
prosecutors call for Badalamenti to
receive a sentence ranging from proba-
tion to six months in prison, according
to Park. Zainey, however, isn t bound
by the guidelines when he imposes a
Badalamenti wasn t the first individual
charged with a crime stemming from
the Deepwater Horizon disaster, but he
is the first to plead guilty. (AP)
Gulf of Mexico oil spill trial
An April 21, 2010 file photo of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig burning after a deadly explosion in the Gulf of
Mexico. Anthony Badalamenti, who was the cementing technology director for Halliburton Energy Services
Inc., yesterday pleaded guilty to destroying evidence following the oil spill in the aftermath of the fire.
Links Archive October 15th 2013 October 17th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page