Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 19th 2013 Contents A9
Saturday, October 19, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Students of South East Port-
of-Spain Government Secondary
School put on their uniforms yes-
terday for the first time in three
weeks. But instead of going to
school, along with angry parents,
they went to the Ministry of Edu-
cation to protest.
They went to ask the minister,
Dr Tim Gopeesingh, when they
would be allowed to continue their
They met parents of the Diego
Martin Boys RC Primary School,
who had already gathered at the
ministry in St Clair, holding plac-
ards demanding the reopening of
The protesters warned the Gov-
ernment that no school meant "no
Mario Diaz, the father of two
children at Diego Martin Boys RC,
said parents just wanted to know
what would be done regarding their
children s education.
The Diego Martin school has
been closed since the first week in
September because of a pigeon
infestation that had occurred since
the last school year, when the
school had been closed for several
"They did try to eradicate the
pigeons but what has happened is
that the pigeons don t live on the
compound but visit the compound
during the day," Diaz said.
He said pupils and teachers have
been falling sick and have had to
stay away from school.
The school was closed two weeks
ago but reopened earlier this week
when workers tried to catch and
exterminate pigeons flying into the
They caught a kiskadee and no
pigeons, one parent said.
Parents and students from South
East called on ministry officials to
find alternative arrangements to
educate their children.
Shanelle Dixon, mother of a
Form Three student at South East,
said it was the Government s
responsibility to find other arrange-
ments to ensure students were not
affected by the school s closure.
"They have been home for the
past three weeks and we had a
meeting yesterday with the PTA
and the school officials to ask them
what would happen with the stu-
dents, but nobody could give us
definite answers," said Dixon.
"Nobody has an answer. If we don t
have proper education, it will result
in more negativity in this country.
"That school has been in a mess
for years, we need them to fix the
school but find other arrangements
At around 11 am, ministry staff
invited representatives from each
school into a meeting with repre-
sentatives from the Education
Facilities Company Ltd (EFCL).
Media co-ordinator at the min-
istry Yolanda Carvalho-Morales
said the ministry had assured the
Diego Martin school that classes
would reopen next Tuesday.
"EFCL had completed 98 per
cent of the work on the school.
The problem was that the pigeons
do not live in the school building
but in buildings in the surrounding
area," Carvalho-Morales said.
As for South East Secondary,
Carvalho-Morales said the school
would reopen on November 28.
Have an opinion?
Log on to
to post your
As two schools remain closed...
Parents, students protest
outside Education Ministry
Parents from the South East Port-of-Spain Government Secondary School and the Diego Martin Boys' RC School
protest over the closure of both schools, outside of the Ministry of Education, St Clair, yesterday. PHOTO: KALIFA KLYNE
San Fernando mayor Dr Navi
Muradali has appealed to all political
parties to remove their posters and
banners stuck up in public places after
the local government elections on
Muradali made the appeal while
addressing students participating in
SanFest 2013 during their visit to the
San Fernando City Hall on Thursday.
"It is important that young people
are taught how to keep our communities
and city clean. That goes as well for
our leaders and those aspiring for public
office," he said.
Commenting on the allegations made
during the campaign, Muradali said:
"While I cannot say that the election
campaign was always clean, and some-
times it even turned vulgar and crass,
I hope at least the city remains clean
after the election, because win or lose,
we all have to live here after."
The city corporation has begun a
clean-up of illegal banners and bulk
waste across the city.
Muradali: Take down
posters after election
The health of Calypso King of the
World Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Fran-
cisco) continues to improve, accord-
ing to his wife, Margaret, and family.
Speaking to T&T Guardian yesterday
Margaret said she had spoken to Spar-
row by phone on Thursday in the New
York hospital where he has been under
intensive care for more than a month.
Sparrow went into a coma on Sep-
tember 8 and, with his wife and
daughters, including Gina, Michelle
and Karen, at his bedside, emerged
from his comatose state three weeks
after. Still keeping the name of the
hospital confidential, Margaret said,
"I called him and Michelle placed the
phone by his ear. I told him he has got
to get better, if he wants to return
home to Trinidad walking. I told him
to follow everything his doctors tell
him to do."
She added that she and her family
continue to appreciate the numerous
well-wishers who have expressed con-
cern and support for Sparrow s speedy
recovery. Michelle said her father is
now recognising people and commu-
nicates when asked a question.
Sparrow, along with the late Lord
Kitchener, was fondly remembered
last Thursday night when Trinbago
Unified Calypsonians Organisation
held Calypso Stories at De Nu Pub
(The Mas Camp), in Woodbrook, as
part of Calypso History Month.
Popular performers, including Black
Stalin, Bro Valentino, Allrounder and
Brigo, with Dennis "Sprangalang"
Hall, revealed memorable moments
they shared with Sparrow early in
their careers, and performing at Spar-
row s Young Brigade calypso tent.
Sparrow getting stronger
Links Archive October 18th 2013 October 20th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page