Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 30th 2013 Contents Continued on page 15
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Do any one (1) of the following:-
1. In Trinidad and Tobago, we will soon be cele-
brating festivals, here. Do you have a favourite
religious festival? Write a letter to a friend,
describing what you know about Divali and
giving reasons why you think celebrating reli-
gious festivals in Trinidad and Tobago is so
2. We are still in the hurricane season. Suppose:
There is an announcement on the Television
that a storm is approaching Trinidad and To-
bago. Write a story beginning with the fol-
lowing words: "I was afraid but I would make
sure that I did everything possible to protect
myself during this powerful storm..."
3. Many people, today, own cell phones. You
probably also have your own cell phone. How
useful are cell phones in this modern world?
Write a letter to a close friend, describing to
him/her, in some detail, the many ways in
which you think cell phones can be very use-
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Underline one (1) of the words in the brack-
ets to complete the following sentences.
The guitar along with the other instruments
(is; are) on the table.
1. (Isn't ; Aren't) there some dust in that cor-
2. A few of the people (has; have) already ar-
3. Neither the birds nor the flock of geese (was;
were) feeding in the pens.
4. Fruit along with some pastries (was; were)
served as the dessert.
B. Rewrite the following sentences in the Ac-
(S1) Within two hours' time, the leak had
been thoroughly checked and repaired by
(S2) Within two hours' time, the workmen
had thoroughly checked and repaired
5. On Saturday morning many fruits and vegeta-
bles had been bought by the vendors from the
6. During the cricket competition, the previous
record was broken by the popular spin bowler.
7. Next week, a visit would be made to the Ar-
gyle Waterfall by the children from Brazil Gov-
C. Use a suitable form of each given word to
complete the following sentences.
The nail was stuck deeply into
the tree trunk
Last year, our mango tree had
____________ more fruits.
________________ the piece of
fudge, Mummy shared it between
Peter and Andy.
Unfortunately, Kevin had
____________ his jersey while
climbing down the coconut tree.
Jean ____________ the clothes
then put them outside to dry.
D. Write 'Adv' (Adverb) or 'Adj' (Adjective) to
describe each of the underlined words in the
(S1) This table top is quite hard. (Adj)
(S2) Harold usually plays hard in any football
11. He completed the race with much difficulty.
12. Our next trip to the river will last longer.
13. We just cannot wait much longer.
14. What are you doing, next? (_____________)
E. Supply a suitable form of each word, in
capitals, to complete each of the following
STAND The strong building was able to
withstand the powerful
16. ORDINARY Bovell's super performance in the
recent swimming competition
can be described as ____________
17. TASTE Harriet definitely has a
______________ for spicy foods.
"Please ____________ that mirror
with great care", warned the
19. FASHION Most models are expected to
wear __________________ clothes.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline
each error then write only the correction
inside the brackets provided.
Neither Jimmy nor Jeffrey told present. (is)
20. This computer costs around three thousand
21. The money was divided up among the four
22. We will be able to leave early providing that
you arrive on time. (_____________)
Links Archive October 29th 2013 October 31st 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page