Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 31st 2013 Contents A61
Thursday, October 31, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
SAO PAULO---Brazilian football wants Diego
Costa s Brazilian citizenship to be voided because
the striker chose to snub Brazil and play for Spain.
The federation s legal department told local media
yesterday it has grounds to ask the justice ministry
to strip Diego Costa of his citizenship because of his
rejection of the national team.
The federation doesn t want Diego Costa playing
for Spain and said it was taking the case seriously
and will act with all of its force to keep the same
thing from happening again.
The Brazilians accused Spain of pressuring Diego
Costa, and said the Spanish-based player made his
pick for financial reasons.
Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was forced to drop
Diego Costa from the squad after the player announced
he wanted to play for Spain instead of his native
country. Diego Costa holds a Spanish passport, having
moved to Spain in 2007.
"The president (of the Brazilian federation) has
authorized me to make a request to the justice ministry
to have Diego Costa lose the Brazilian citizenship
that he rejected," federation legal director Carlos
Eugenio Lopes told O Globo newspaper.
Lopes said the request can be made based on an
article of the constitution which says that Brazilians
may lose their citizenship if they earn another nationality
without meeting certain requirements to justify it.
A message requesting comment from the justice
ministry was not immediately answered.
"There is no doubt that Diego Costa was enticed,"
Lopes said. "The Spaniards spent hours putting pres-
sure on him. It s obvious that the reason for his choice
Brazilian federation president Jose Maria Marin
said on Tuesday the "case was not over yet" and he
would study all possibilities to keep Diego Costa from
joining Spain and setting a precedent.
"We will fight for what we believe is our right,"
The federation complained about FIFA s rule that
allows players to switch national teams even after playing
GENEVA---CSKA Moscow will have to play
Bayern Munich in a partially closed stadium
as punishment after its fans racially abused
Manchester City players in a Champions
UEFA s disciplinary panel found the Russian
champions guilty yesterday for their fans
"racist behavior" during City s 2-1 win in
Moscow last week, and applied the UEFA-
recommended sanction for a club s first
City captain Yaya Toure directed referee
Ovidiu Hategan toward fans making monkey
noises at the English club s black players.
The Romanian referee is also being inves-
tigated by UEFA for not interrupting the match
to order a stadium announcement, warning
fans about their behavior.
CSKA s punishment applies to Section D
at Arena Khimki when defending champion
Bayern visits on Nov. 27.
UEFA can choose to appeal to impose a
"All forms of racist behavior are considered
serious offences against the disciplinary reg-
ulations and are punished with the most severe
sanctions," UEFA said in a statement.
CSKA is the ninth club to be punished by
UEFA this season for racist behavior by fans
at Champions League or Europa League
matches after tougher penalties were agreed
upon in May.
Dinamo Zagreb and Legia Warsaw have
been convicted of repeated offenses and
ordered to play one match in an empty sta-
Six clubs had partial closures imposed for
first offenses: Lazio, APOEL Nicosia, Honved,
Lech Poznan, Piast Gliwice and Rijeka.
UEFA did not fine CSKA, which has already
earned prize money of 8.6 million euros ($11.8
million) just for qualifying for the group stage.
UEFA opened a disciplinary case based on
a formal complaint by City, and reports from
Hategan and match delegate Tormod Larsen
However, UEFA President Michel Platini
requested an internal inquiry involving the
referee to examine why the protocol was not
followed to respond to discrimination incidents
during matches. (AP)
VIENNA---Marcel Koller will remain Austria coach
for at least two more years, putting aside an offer
from his native Switzerland to take over from
Ottmar Hitzfeld after next year s World Cup.
The Austrian football federation said yesterday
that Koller will sign a contract to the end of 2015,
with an automatic extension to mid-2016 if Austria
qualifies for the European Championship in France.
"We started a new way two years ago," Koller said.
"And it s an exciting and challenging
task to continue this way."
The 52-year-old Koller took over
from Dietmar Constantini in October
2011 after Austria failed to qualify for
Euro 2012. Under Koller, Austria fin-
ished third in a World Cup qualifying
group won by Germany. Second-place
Sweden advanced to the playoffs.
Following the decisive 2-1 loss to
Sweden earlier this month, Koller took
nearly three weeks to consider his
future. Initially he was also a candidate
at FC Nuremberg, which then signed
Dutch coach Gertjan Verbeek.
"When it comes to football, this has
been the hardest decision I ever had
to take in my career," said Koller, who
has been publicly backed by his players
after missing out on the World Cup.
Captain Christian Fuchs said he
wanted to continue working with the
coach and striker Marc Janko posted
an open letter to Koller on his Facebook
page, saying all the players wanted him
In 18 matches under Koller, Austria
had eight wins and seven losses. Austria
next plays the United States in a friendly
in Vienna on Nov. 19.
"I am very glad the decision panned
out this way," Austria federation pres-
ident Leo Windtner said. "I see this as
a positive development for the team as
well as for the federation and the fans.
I am sure this team under his profes-
sional leadership has very good chances
to reach the next European Champi-
The central board of the Swiss fed-
eration said last week that Koller was
its main candidate to succeed Hitzfeld,
who will step down after the World
Cup in Brazil. The board confirmed it
had spoken to the coach without reach-
ing an agreement.
friendlies for a different nation. It argues
the friendlies are considered official by
FIFA when it establishes its rankings used
for the World Cup seedings, so they also
must be considered official when it comes
to players appearances.
Diego Costa played a few minutes
for Brazil in friendlies against Russia
and Italy in March, and Scolari last
week said he was going to pick him
again for the November friendlies
against Chile and Honduras.
In his letter to the Brazilian federation
rejecting the national team, Diego Costa
said "it wasn t an easy decision" because
of his "love to the wonderful land where
(he was) born." But he said the decision
made sense because Spain was where
he was well received and where his pro-
fessional career developed.
"To be able to defend (Spain s) colors
internationally is my way to try to give
back for everything that was given to
me there," Diego Costa wrote. "After
a long period of consideration, I decided
that the best for me, for my family and
for my professional career is to play
for the Spanish national team."
On Atletico Madrid s Web site, Diego
Costa said he has "a special affection"
for Spain and feels "very valued" there,
but admitted that he would like to retire
to Brazil when his playing days are over.
"It s a complicated decision because
it s a decision related to the country
where you were born against the coun-
try that has given you everything," Diego
"It is a very difficult and thought
out decision on my part. I hope people
can understand and respect this deci-
sion, which was very difficult to take."
Brazil wants to void
In this file photo, Atletico de Madrid's Diego Costa tries an overhead kick on goal
during a Spanish La Liga soccer match against Almeria at the Vicente Calderon
stadium in Madrid. AP PHOTO
Austria coach Koller extends contract to 2015
fans' racial abuse
Links Archive October 30th 2013 November 1st 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page