Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 4th 2013 Contents A8
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, November 4, 2013
Justice Mark Mohammed is
today expected to begin summing
up the evidence in the double mur-
der trial against Paul Vincent.
Since May, the jury has been hear-
ing evidence in the San Fernando
First Assizes where Vincent is on
trial for the murders of 16-year-old
Radha Pixie Lakhan and janitor Tara-
matee Toolsie, 40.
The State, led by attorney Renuka
Rambhajan, is alleging that Vincent,
33, gave written statements to the
police confessing to raping and stran-
gling both women.
Both women lived on adjoining
streets in Siparia.
However, the defence, led by
attorney Rekha Ramjit, has con-
tended that Vincent, a father of one,
was framed by the police who fab-
ricated and concocted the state-
The murders occurred eight years
ago. Evidence was led that on March
22, 2005, that after leaving school,
Palo Seco Secondary, Lakhan
dropped out of a taxi and was seen
walking up Spring Trace---the street
where she lived with her parents and
She never made it home. The
police and her relatives would then
form search parties, but they would
not find her. Three weeks later on
April 15, Toolsie, 40, left her home
for work around 5.30 am, but never
made it there.
Toolsie s half-naked body was
found three days later by a search
party, not far from her home. She
was raped and strangled with her
The next morning Vincent, who
lived with his common-law wife and
child, on the same street as Toolsie,
was arrested in connection with the
attempted robbery and indecent
assault against another woman in
the Siparia area. That incident took
place the day after Toolsie went
While at the station, Vincent was
questioned in connection with
Toolsie s murder.
The State led evidence from Insps
Dhillpaul and Griffith that Vincent
confessed to killing Toolsie and then
confessed to killing Lakhan. Vincent,
the State is alleging, took police to
a bamboo patch off Lakhan s street
where the police found her skeletal
remains, school uniform and bag.
He allegedly told police he ripped
off her clothes, raped her six times
and then used her school belt to
Vincent s friend Lyndon Vialva
said, on the morning Toolsie disap-
peared, Vincent came by his home
with "fresh" cuts on his shoulder
going upwards to the neck. He said
Vincent had a little blood on his
pants, which was also dirty.
The defence, however, claimed
the injuries were caused by rough
sex with his common-law wife. Vin-
cent was convicted and sentenced
for assaulting the woman he tried
to rob in Siparia.
The State contends that there are
several similarities in the circum-
stances surrounding that incident
and the murders.
The defence, however, say there
are no similarities. The defence
alleges that the police took advantage
of Vincent because he could not read
or write. The defence challenged the
language used in the statements,
saying it was the words of police
officers not Vincent s.
The defence claims that Vincent
was tired and confused because he
was not properly fed and treated in
the station. Last week the State and
the defence completed their closing
It is expected that the judge will
complete summing up on Friday and
before the 12-member jury retires
to decide upon on a verdict.
Pixie Lakhan, Taramatie Toolsie murder trial...
Verdict expected this week
The Elections and Boundaries Com-
mission (EBC) will conduct a third
recount for the Moruga electoral dis-
trict this week.
This was confirmed by EBC chief
elections officer Ramesh Nanan yes-
"The People s National Movement
(PNM) candidate has applied for a check
of the results with accordance of Rule
106 and that will be conducted some-
time this week," Nanan said.
He could not give a specific date.
As a result of the stand-off, no one
was sworn in as the representative for
Moruga during the swearing-in cere-
mony for councillors at Princes Town
Regional Corporation last Friday.
Moruga is one of ten electoral districts
that falls within the corporation. Nine
councillors, two PNM and seven United
National Congress (UNC), took the oath
On the night of the local government
elections, PNM candidate Kerwin
Williams was told he won.
However, the next day it was discov-
ered that a presiding officer had attrib-
uted the votes for PNM candidate to
the UNC candidate and vice versa.
As a result, UNC candidate Phillip
Gonzales was then declared the winner.
Williams requested a recount and he
was declared the winner.
However, when the second recount
was done two Saturday s ago, Gonzales
was then declared winner. Calls to the
mobile phone of Williams and Gonzales
went unanswered yesterday.
Princes Town MP Nela Khan, who
was erroneously informed that the
recount took place on Friday in Port-
of-Spain, had expressed concern that
after two recounts the matter could not
place at El
Links Archive November 3rd 2013 November 5th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page