Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 5th 2013 Contents A55
Tuesday, November 5, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
LONDON---A day after goalkeeper
Hugo Lloris was briefly knocked
unconscious but continued to play,
Tottenham defended its decision
despite criticism from FIFA and
the football players union.
Lloris was knocked out Sunday
when his head smashed into Everton
striker Romelu Lukaku s knee during
a Premier League match. The goal-
keeper was treated on the field but,
despite medical advice and not
remembering the incident, he was
allowed to continue playing.
"The player should have been
substituted," FIFA chief medical
officer Professor Jiri Dvorak said.
"The fact the other player needed
ice on his knee means it s obvious
the blow was extensive.
"It s a 99 percent probability that
losing consciousness in such an
event will result in concussion."
On Monday, Tottenham said that
brain scans gave Lloris the all-clear.
But the extent of the injury would
not have been known during the
"When he has been knocked
unconscious, the player himself may
not see the reality," Dvorak said.
By allowing Lloris to finish the
match, the FIFPro players union
said Tottenham manager Andre Vil-
las-Boas and his staff "failed to pro-
tect the goalkeeper."
"FIFPro condemns that the
health and safety of players are left
to coaches/trainers or even to play-
ers themselves," FIFPro medical
advisor Vincent Gouttebarge said.
"Medical professionals should be
aware of any relevant medical guide-
lines and apply them in order to
empower the health and safety on
the field. The health and safety of
the players should be the No. 1 pri-
ority and should prevail against any
English Football Association reg-
ulations say that a player who is
treated after being "immobile and
unresponsive to verbal commands
following a head injury" should not
return to action that day. But if the
player experiences "a transient alter-
ation of conscious level," he can
"If there is any doubt, keep the
player out," Dvorak said.
The Professional Footballers
Association in England said that
players who suffer severe head
injuries or loss of consciousness
should automatically be taken off.
"When treating a player on the
pitch, it can be very difficult to
determine the severity of a head
injury," PFA deputy chief executive
John Bramhall said. "It is important
to take the pressure off the players,
club medical staff, and the manager
--- removing the need for them to
make a very difficult decision."
Tottenham, however, saw nothing
wrong with its decision to allow
Lloris to continue. Football has been
subjected to less focus on how it
handles concussions than other
sports, which experience more
impact injuries. (AP)
Tottenham criticised for
leaving in Hugo Lloris
MUNICH---Bayern Munich pres-
ident Uli Hoeness will go on trial
in March on tax evasion charges.
Judges decided last week to admit
the indictment against Hoeness and
send the case to trial, the state court
in Munich said yesterday. Proceed-
ings are scheduled to start March
10.The reigning German and Euro-
pean champions said their super-
visory board is standing by Hoeness
and says he should stay on, regard-
less of the legal proceedings.
Prosecutors filed the charges in
July, months after the 61-year-old
Hoeness reported himself to author-
ities over a previously undeclared
Swiss bank account.
News of the case against Hoeness,
one of the most prominent figures
in German football, emerged in April
--- prompting even Chancellor
Angela Merkel s spokesman to weigh
in and say the country s leader was
disappointed in him.
The court set four sessions for
the trial, through March 13, and said
that plans so far call for four wit-
nesses to testify. It did not identify
The court said it couldn t give
details of the indictment before it
is read out in public at the trial
because of tax secrecy laws. Munich
prosecutors also have declined to
say how much money is involved
or give details.
In May, Bayern s supervisory
board backed Hoeness to remain in
the job despite the investigation
against him. The club said Hoeness
apologised and offered to temporar-
ily give up his functions pending
the outcome of his case. But the
board unanimously asked him to
stay. The club reinforced its backing
for Hoeness on Monday, saying in
a statement that its position was
backed by a study from two legal
Bayern pres to be tried on tax charge
VALENCIA---Valencia has signed
Portuguese defender Ruben Vezo
from Setubal, with the teenager
set to join the Spanish club in
The 19-year-old Vezo was in
Valencia yesterday to undergo a
medical and sign a four-year deal.
Financial terms were not released,
except that Setubal will earn 25
percent of any future transfer.
Vezo s arrival comes after the
exit of France center back Adil
Rami, who fell out of favor at the
club after directing critical remarks
toward his teammates.
Vezo has played seven games
for Setubal, which is 11th, this sea-
son. Valencia also announced yes-
terday it had fired technical sec-
retary Braulio Vazquez. (AP)
Valencia signs teenage defender Vezo
LONDON---The English Football Association has
charged Fulham defender Sascha Riether with violent
conduct after retrospectively reviewing video evidence
of him stamping on an opponent.
Riether s apparent stamp on Manchester United
midfielder Adnan Januzaj during Saturday s Premier
League match at Craven Cottage was missed by the
match officials. A three-man panel of former referees
reviewed the incident and all agreed that it was a send-
ing-off offense. (AP)
Riether charged with
Tottenham's goalkeeper Hugo
Lloris applauds supporters after
his team's English Premier
League football match against
Everton at Goodison Park
Stadium, Liverpool, England,
Sunday. AP PHOTO
Links Archive November 4th 2013 November 6th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page