Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 15th 2013 Contents B11
Friday, November 15, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
NOTICE OF VACANCIES
Applications are invited from suitably qualified nationals for employment on contract for two (2) years in the
position of Coach in the Ministry of Sport in the following disciplines:
• TRACK AND FIELD
Kind of work
Technical work in the field of physical education and sport
Distinguishing Features of Work
An employee in this class is responsible for planning and implementing programmes of training in a desig-
nated sporting activity for teachers, students, young people in the community and community coaches. Work
also includes the promotion of competitive games, improving motor skills of trainees, monitoring the progress
and development of sporting activities and advising on care and use of equipment. Work is performed within
the prescribed guidelines and is reviewed by a supervisor for adherence to policy and for effectiveness.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan, organises and implement programmes of training in a designated sporting activity for teachers,
students and young people in the community and community coaches.
• Promote the organisation of related competitive sporting activities in schools and in the community.
• Design programmes for the general improvement of motor skills among trainees.
• Monitor the progress and effectiveness of the related sporting activity in terms of the prescribed goals.
• Advise on the design of skills tests in the related sporting activity.
• Advise on the care and proper usage of all games equipment and sporting facilities.
• Liaise with Physical education and Sporting Officers to ensure co-ordination of programmes.
• Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
• Knowledge of training applicable in coaching at various levels
• Knowledge of the rules and rudiments of a designated sporting discipline
• Knowledge of first aid
• Ability to demonstrate motor s\kills in a designated sporting discipline
• Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing
• Ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with associates and trainees.
Minimum Qualification and Experience
• Considerable experience in physical education or sport
• Possession of a recognised coaching certificate in a relevant discipline
• Formal training in physical education as evidenced by a certified course(s) amounting altogether to at
least one (1) year
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and conditions of employment will be determined by the Chief Personnel Officer, Personnel Department.
Interested persons should submit their applications together with Curriculum Vitae not later than November
22, 2013 to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Sport
12 Abercromby Street
Port of Spain
Cult comedy star Andy Kaufman faked his own
death in 1984 and is still alive, his brother has
Kaufman, best known for playing the incompetent
Latka Gravas on the 1970s sitcom Taxi, officially died
from lung cancer in 1984.
But, appearing at an award show named in Andy s
honour, Michael Kaufman said he received a letter
from his brother, confirming he was alive, in 1999.
He then introduced a woman who claimed to be
Andy s 24-year-old daughter.
Her age would mean she was born five years after
"He just wanted to be a stay-at-home dad, that s
why he wanted to leave the showbiz," she explained
at the New York event.
"He s pretty much a great dad, and raised us. My
mom has her own business... He helps her with that
kind of thing, paperwork and stuff, so he can work
from home and he doesn t have to be hiding out [or]
"He just makes us food and takes care of the
It has since been claimed, however, that the mystery
woman is in fact a New York actress whose father
is a doctor.
According to website The Smoking Gun, Alexandra
Tatarsky was recruited by Michael Kaufman earlier
this year to play his alleged niece.
The woman s arrival on Monday night had been
preceded by a long anecdote, in which Michael
described how, many years ago, he discovered an
essay in which Andy detailed plans to fake his death.
It was accompanied by a note, saying the comedian
would reappear on Christmas Eve 1999, in a specific
Although Andy failed to show up, Michael was
handed a letter explaining that his brother had gone
into hiding to live a normal life, and now had a wife
In addition to his role on Taxi, Andy Kaufman was
an eccentric performance artist who often staged
elaborate pranks that entertained, confused and at
times frustrated his fans. He organised wrestling
matches between himself and women, impersonated
Elvis Presley and, most famously, created a hideous
lounge singer alter-ego called Tony Clifton, who
reeked of foul-smelling cheese and verbally abused
virtually everyone in sight.
Famously, after he played Carnegie Hall, he hired
24 buses and took the 2,800 audience members out
for milk and cookies.
A life-long health fanatic, he was diagnosed with
cancer at the age of 33 and died in May 1984. A copy
of his death certificate, which lists the cause of death
as renal failure, can be seen online.
Nonetheless, a portion of his fan base has always
maintained his death was a hoax.
Audience members at the Andy Kaufman Awards
were uncertain how to take Michael s revelation,
wondering if it, too, could be a stunt.
"The entire room was freaked out," wrote comedian
Killy Dwyer on her Facebook page.
"I get that it is---could---might all be a hoax... [but]
it was as real as anything I ve ever seen. There is
video. It was chilling, upsetting and absolutely intrigu-
Award show producer Al Parinello told the Hol-
lywood Reporter: "I witnessed the entire thing and
I can tell you without a doubt this was not a prank."
"You could see by the look on [Michael s] face that
it had an emotional impact on him," said Ed Cavanagh,
manager at the Gotham Comedy Club, where the
award show took place. (BBC)
'faked his death,'
Links Archive November 14th 2013 November 16th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page