Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 24th 2013 Contents A5
November 24, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
Tobago has recorded its
fourth murder for 2013.
Dead is Anton "Rocky"
Williams, 29, of Mt St
George in Tobago.
Police reports state that
around 12.30 yesterday
morning at Windward
Road, Mt St George,
Williams had just returned
home after a night out with
friends when someone called out to
him. After he went outside, multiple
shots were heard, and his body was
found in the middle of the driveway a
short while later. He was
wearing a vest and shorts.
Williams was reportdely
shot once in the head and
several times in his back.
Residents said Williams
was involved in an alter-
cation with some men
recently over a drug turf
in the village, and his life
District Medical Officer
Dr Tam visited the scene
and ordered the body
removed to the Scarborough Hospital
Tobago Homicide Bureau is contin-
Though Attorney General Anand Ramlogan
has been spearheading the call for Hart to
return to the country to face the charges, he
has since admitted that the matter is out of
"I have been literally begging for this matter
to be given some priority by the judiciary,"
Ramlogan said in a telephone interview yes-
Senior members of Udecott s legal team
also expressed frustration over the months-
long drag on this matter. One attorney
involved in the case said the matter has been
"vacated" twice, meaning that it was can-
celled without lawyers from either side having
to face the judge.
"We got calls and notes, we weren t even
given a chance to speak with the judge on
the matter so that we could ask any ques-
tions," the source said.
The legal minds said they found it "very
strange" that the judiciary could "simply
lose eight months" on such an urgent mat-
ter.The Sunday Guardian understands that if
the case management hearings were held
when they were set, Hart may have had to
face the courts by January 2014. But with the
no-warning cancellations, the matter could
continue to "limp along" indefinitely.
Hart is also facing criminal charges includ-
ing perjury for his submissions during the
Uff inquiry. That file, it was reported, had
been sent to the Director of Public Prose-
cutions (DPP) by the Integrity Commission
back in August.
One of Hart s attorney s, Stewart Young,
in a brief interview yesterday, said all attorneys
involved in the case were under a court-
imposed gag order and as such he was unable
to discuss the case.
The gag order, Young said, was imposed
"very early," at the beginning of the matter.
Recent court ruling
Despite the stalled case against Hart, recent
court rulings against similar cases breathed
a breath of fresh air into civil matters of this
Last month Justice Devindra Rampersad
cleared the way for a legal case against eTecK
and eight directors, including former chair-
man Ken Julien, University of the West Indies
Brian Copeland, former Miss Universe Wendy
Ramlogan had then described that ruling
as a "landmark" one because it opened the
door to several civil lawsuits against mal-
functioning state boards, including his civil
case against Hart. That suit also includes
cases against former deputy chairman, busi-
nessman Krishna Bahadoorsingh; former
financial manager, Ricardo O Brien; and
former corporate secretary, Neelanda Ram-
The Sunday Guardian received a chronol-
ogy of the matter dating back to its inception
in 2011 when the first pre-action protocol
letter was sent to Hart, Bahadoorsingh,
O Brien and Rampaul.
By 2013 applications were made to sell off
Hart s local property to recover cost. This
failed to stir Hart, who to date has not
appeared in the country.
AG: Hart matter out of my hands
Continued from Page A1
Man killed in Tobago
...murder count now stands at four
No one has been selected yet
by the Government to operate
Scott s Quarry.
So said Energy Minister Kevin
Ramnarine yesterday in response
to questions from the Sunday
Guardian about whether they were
going to renew Malaysian-based
Sunway Quarry Industries
(Caribbean) Ltd s contract to oper-
ate the quarry. The quarry at Ver-
dant Vale, Blanchisseuse, has $1
billion in mineral reserves.
Sunway s five-year contract,
which was awarded under the Peo-
ple s National Movement Govern-
ment, ended on October 14.
At least one contractor---Jusamco
Pavers Ltd, headed by Junior
Sammy---wrote to former National
Quarries (NQ) chairman Mitra
Ramkhelawan on August 2,
expressing an interest in operating
Scott s Quarry and asking to be
Two other contractors---Super
Industries Services (SIS) and Ral-
don Construction Ltd, part of
Gopaul and Company Ltd---had
their eyes on the quarry.
Yesterday, however, Ramnarine
said "at this time we are studying
all possible options for the future
of Scott s Quarry."
Reports have surfaced from NQ
that Government was also inter-
ested in renting Sunway s plant
rather than buy its own. Ramnarine
said the decision to purchase a
crushing plant for NQ "will be a
matter for the new board of NQ."
Cabinet has not yet appointed
a new board. "I expect one to be
appointed shortly," Ramnarine
Sunway paid $300m for
'poor grade' aggregate
Sunway was paid $79.30 per
metric ton for its aggregate and
was contracted to provide about
4,000 tonnes a day.
In the last three years, NQ has
paid Sunway approximately $300
million for processing materials,
which has not been up to standard,
according to independent reports.
Questioned if he was pleased
with the quality of aggregate Sun-
way had processed and provided
to NQ, Ramnarine said he has
asked his permanent secretary and
the director of minerals to give
him a report on Scott s Quarry.
"This report will answer that
question," Ramnarine said.
A NQ source said should the
Government rent Sunway s plant,
they would be faced with the same
problem of poor quality materi-
Sunway failed gradation
On January 19, 2012, NQ wrote
Irene Chow, Sunway s finance
manager, explaining that samples
from its new stockpile crusher run
mix were taken on December 13,
2011, and three independent tests---
conducted by the Caribbean
Industrial Research Institute, Earth
Investigation Systems Ltd and
Trintoplan Consultants Ltd---
showed that its company had
"failed the most critical criteria,
As a result, NQ removed Sun-
way s stockpile from its inventory,
advising them that no sales from
their stockpiled material should
take place until steps are taken to
improve the quality.
NQ stated that the failure of the
material was due to a lack of qual-
ity control in the processing of the
The source said that Sunway
defended its position by saying
that former boards of NQ had indi-
cated they were operating well
with its products, and the company
had met the required specifications
with its gradation.
The source said Sunway
focused on volume rather than
quality, which NQ raised with their
attorneys a few months ago.
NP was told by their attorneys
that "it would be risky to terminate
their contract because of the way
it was drafted."
NQ's risk of losing
$400 million order
In February 28, 2012, NQ wrote
Chia Hon Yuen, senior production
manager of Sunway, informing
him that his promise to have the
crusher run fall within the grading
specification was yet to be realised.
"This has cause NQCL s client
to lose confidence in us as a cred-
ible supplier of quality aggregate"
NQ explained to Hon Yuen in its
NQ also explained to Hon Yuen
that they were "exposed to the
risk of losing" an order of $400
The source said the success or
failure of Government s projects
would be largely dependent on the
quality of the materials utilised.
Up to July, 2013, documents by
NQ showed that materials by Sun-
way still did not fall within the
On Friday, Hon Yuen when con-
tacted said he was not in a position
No operator yet
for Scott's Quarry
Former prime minister Basdeo Panday, left, listens to Attorney General Anand
Ramlogan at the Law Association of T&T Annual Dinner and Dance held at the
Hyatt Regency on Friday. A D E A E A DE
Links Archive November 23rd 2013 November 25th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page