Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 27th 2013 Contents Continued on page 15
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Write about any one (1) of the following:-
1. Do you think that it is healthy to throw away
garbage anywhere you feel? Recently, you
may have read about, seen on Television or
heard about the severe effects that littering
has caused in certain parts of Trinidad. Write
a speech to your class about littering, giving
details of what, in your opinion, causes it, its
harmful effects and saying how we can help
to prevent these from happening.
2. Are you eagerly looking forward to your
vacation? Have you ever wondered how you
would feel if there was no vacation? Write a
letter to a friend telling him/her, in some
detail, why you think that children should
have a vacation time.
3. Sometimes, we may have an accident when
we least expect it to happen, for example, a
fall or getting cut on one of your limbs? Have
you ever experienced something like that?
Write a story that begins with the following
lines: "It happened so suddenly that it took
me by surprise..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Underline the correct preposition in each
The children were enthusiastic (of; about)
visiting the Science fair.
1. The prisoner was accused (with; of) stealing
a cell phone.
2. Our coach is opposed (to; about) playing the
match on a water logged ground.
3. Everyone has been vexed (at; with) Sheldon
on account of his bad manners.
4. Our visiting Aunt Emma will have to part
(from; with) us by next weekend.
B. Change the following sentences to Direct
(S1) Mummy enquired from Daddy whether
he had remembered to purchase the
(S2) "Have you remembered / did you
remember to purchase the bread?"
Mummy enquired from Daddy.
5. The teacher informed the class that their
term test would begin on the first day of the
6. Denyse asked Gayatri whether she could lend
her the Social Studies notes for she was ab-
sent on the day when it was given.
7. Miss Davis told the boys that she wished to
inform them that the Chaconia is the national
flower of Trinidad and Tobago.
C. The words in the following sentences are all
jumbled. Put the words in the correct order
to complete each of the following sentences.
(S1) time games favorite teacher when day is
school takes outside Fareeda's to the
play various the of class
(S2) Fareeda's favorite time of the day in
school is when the teacher takes the
class outside to play various games.
8. will long Next countryside weekend drive we
to take the a
9. Sally's abroad to spend Many family from with
Christmas relatives Trinidad of are to her
10. gathered the enjoyable children park The
windball game an in cricket for had of
D. Fill in each blank space with a suitable form
of the word given in the brackets.
Most of the water had been (spill) spilt when
the bucket was overturned. (Part Participle)
11. The batsman had (kneel) __________ on the
pitch to adjust his pads.
12. The nurse (lay) __________ the injured pas-
senger on a stretcher.
13. The travelers had (sit) __________ in the air-
port for many hours during the storm.
E. Complete each sentence by forming a suit-
able adverb from one (1) of the given words.
The monkey was swinging awkwardly from
the thin rope. (slow; awkward)
14. Simba, our pet dog usually runs _____________
towards us as soon as we arrive at home. (ex-
15. During the Christmas season, the village shop-
keeper always ___________ donates towards
our treat. (humble; generous)
16. Not having done her homework, Pam walked
____________ to school. (timid; quick)
F. Choose one (1) of the following prefixes to
complete each underlined word in the the
in; trans With his magic wand the magician
soon transformed the
handkerchief into a furry rabbit.
20. dis; en During the fall, the footballer had
______located his shoulder.
21. mis; sub Please listen well before you
_____interpret what I am saying.
22. re; de Can you _____duct my expenses
from what I have to receive?
G. Each of the following sentences has an
error. Read each sentence well, underline the
error then write only the correction in the
We could not help but laugh at his humorous
20. The younger of the six boys is as big as I.
21. Everyone of the children who volunteer to
clean the beach are be rewarded.
22. Mummy has packed an apple, a chicken sand-
wich and cookie for Veronica. (_____________)
Links Archive November 26th 2013 November 28th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page