Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 3rd 2013 Contents A51
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
workers returned yesterday to the
stadium that will host the opening
match of the World Cup, five days
after an accident killed two work-
ers and renewed questions about
Brazil s readiness to hold the tour-
Small groups of stonemasons,
metal workers and others trickled
into the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao
Paulo early yesterday morning.
They expressed a mixture of
trepidation over returning to work
and determination to complete the
stadium ahead of the World Cup
opener on June 12.
"It is all very sad, and I know
that sadness and fear will be what
all of us are feeling today as we
return to work," 26-year-old met-
alworker Americo Barbosa said as
he arrived at the site on a bicycle.
"But we are all Brazilians and
Brazilians never quit. We re going
to get our work done and the first
game of the World Cup will be
Construction company Ode-
brecht suspended work on the site
after a crane collapsed on Wednes-
day as it was hoisting a 500-ton
piece of roofing, killing 42-year-
old Fabio Luis Pereira and 44-year-
old Ronaldo Oliveira dos Santos.
Pereira was inside a truck that
was hit by the fallen roofing struc-
ture, while Santos was taking a
break in an area that was supposed
to be clear.
Ahead of the resumption of
work, more than 100 workers gath-
ered early yesterday on the opposite
side of the stadium from where
the accident took place for a Mass
honoring the two victims.
The cause of the accident was
not yet known, but investigators
have said they were looking into
the hypotheses of human error, a
problem with the crane and also
the possibility that the ground,
soaked by recent rains, ceded under
While the area around where the
accident occurred remained off-
limits, authorities gave the green
light for the site s 1,350 workers to
resume work on most of the site
yesterday. However, the Labour
Ministry has frozen the use of the
site s nine other cranes until Ode-
brecht shows adequate safety
measures are in place.
Brazil s preparations for the
World Cup and the 2016 Olympics,
which the South American country
is also hosting, have been plagued
by delays, cost overruns and con-
stant pressure to move faster. (AP)
MILAN---Fiorentina beat ten-man
Hellas Verona 4-3 in an eventful
Italian league game yesterday to
boost its hopes of qualifying for next
season s Champions League.
Four of the goals came in the open-
ing 15 minutes in an open match at
the Stadio Franchi.
Fiorentina captain Borja Valero
scored twice, either side of goals from
on-loan Fiorentina midfielder Romulo
and Juan Iturbe for Verona.
Juan Vargas fired Fiorentina in front
shortly before halftime and Giuseppe
Rossi added a fourth from the penalty
spot after Bosko Jankovic had been
shown a straight red card for hand-
Fiorentina moved level with fourth-
place Inter Milan, a point behind
Napoli which visits Lazio later. Verona
is five points further back in sixth.
Fiorentina took the lead in the fifth
minute when Valero cut his way in
from the right and fired into the bot-
tom near corner from the edge of the
area.But the home side s advantage
lasted less than a minute before Neto
could only parry Iturbe s strike and
the onrushing Romulo fired in the
And Hellas went in front in the
13th as Luca Toni found Iturbe, who
lashed a stunning 30-yard strike into
the top corner.
However, its lead also lasted mere
seconds before Valero scored his sec-
ond of the night, carving out space
for himself just outside the area before
unleashing an effort which was
deflected into the top left corner.
Fiorentina restored its advantage
two minutes from the break when
Vargas put an angled drive into the
far bottom corner.
It extended its lead nine minutes
after the interval when Rossi fired a
spot kick into the bottom right corner,
sending the goalkeeper the wrong
Despite its numerical disadvantage,
Verona kept pressing and got back
into the game when Toni s shot was
saved by Neto but Jorginho was on
hand to follow up.
Both teams were given a standing
ovation at the final whistle. (AP)
TURIN---Juventus and Italy play-
maker Andrea Pirlo is expected to
be sidelined until the new year with
damaged knee ligaments.
Pirlo limped out of Sunday s 1-0
win over Udinese after just 13 min-
Juventus says Pirlo underwent
tests yesterday which revealed he
has "a second-degree lesion to the
collateral medial ligament in his right
The club has not revealed how
long Pirlo will be out for, but an
injury of this type normally takes at
least a month to recover from.
Juventus plays Bologna, Sassuolo
and Atalanta in the Italian league
before the winter break and also has
a crucial final Champions League
group match at Galatasaray. (AP)
have charged 11 men with fixing
17 matches, including three
Europa League games.
Public prosecutor s office
spokeswoman Katrin Lunt says the
case was part of a betting scam
that involved teams in Estonia,
Lithuania and Ukraine.
Eight of the defendants are play-
ers in Estonian clubs JK Narva
Trans and JK Tallinna Kalev.
They have been suspended
pending the investigation.
Narva officials did not immedi-
ately return calls seeking comment.
A Tallinna official declined to com-
Prosecutors suspect the defen-
dants fixed 17 games in 2011-12,
including 13 Estonian league and
cup matches, a Lithuanian league
match and three Europa League
Juventus: Pirlo out until new year
10-man Verona 4-3
Estonia prosecutors charge
11 with match-fixing
Workers return to WCup
stadium after accident
Fiorentina's Ryder Matos,
left, of Brazil, challenges for
the ball with Verona's
Rômulo, also of Brazil,
during a Serie A football
match between Fiorentina
and Verona at the Artemio
Franchi stadium in Florence,
Italy, yesterday. Fiorentina
won 4-3. AP PHOTO
Links Archive December 2nd 2013 December 4th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page