Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 3rd 2013 Contents Michael Clarke sent a scare through the Aus-
tralia camp yesterday when he appeared to roll
his right ankle at training at Adelaide Oval.
Clarke left the field after hurting his ankle
while running and appeared ginger when he
returned, although he was able to bat in the nets
later in the afternoon.
Cricket Australia tweeted a photo of Clarke
holding his ankle along with the message "He
has since completed a nets sessions and is OK."
The Australians were taking part in their first
training session in Adelaide after the team mem-
bers gathered in the city on Sunday ahead of the
second Test, which begins on Thursday.
Clarke scored 113 in the second innings of the
victory at the Gabba, which was his first win as
captain in an Ashes Test.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, December 3, 2013
ADELAIDE---Ian Bell and Joe Root are the
contenders to bat at No 3 in the second
Ashes Test, with England batting coach
Graham Gooch saying nobody would be
shielded after Jonathan Trott s sudden
departure due to a stress-related illness.
"I m not a believer in you ve got to be
very careful about looking after people in
what number they bat," Gooch said yester-
day. "If you re asked to bat three, four, five
or six, you have to do that job. I m sure
both of them will want that challenge if
they re asked."
England was dismissed for 136 and 179
in a humbling 381-run loss in the first Test,
where Australian paceman Mitchell Johnson
used the extra bounce at the Gabba to unset-
tle the touring batsmen with some fiery
Root defied the Australian attack in the
second innings, finishing unbeaten on 26
in an England stand that included breaks
for hail and rain and some thunderbolts of
bouncers from Johnson.
Trott, who had two batting failures in
Brisbane, quit the tour to return to England
in the immediate aftermath of the first Test,
leaving England 10 days to determine who
would move up the order to fill the crucial
No 3 position.
Moving Root, who has played as an opener
and most of the top-order positions in his
brief, 12-test career, would be the least dis-
ruptive option because Bell is a proven scorer
"Whoever moves up to No 3, and it s
probably fair to say Joe Root and Ian Bell
are the two candidates, I m sure they ll stand
up for England," Gooch said. "That s what
they ve got to do."
The 31-year-old Bell has batted at No 5
in 62 of his 94 Tests and scored 16 of his
20 Test centuries from that position. He
has scored two centuries batting at No 3 in
21 Tests. His only tests against Australia
batting at No 3 where on the 2006-07 tour
when England was swept 5-0.
Australian fast bowler Ryan Harris said
he d prefer to see Bell coming in at the fall
of the first wicket, "just because we get an
earlier chance to get him out."
"He did very well in that last series and
he came in at times when they were under
the pump and made big scores," Harris said.
Batting at No 3 "obviously gives him more
time to get in, but it also gives us more time
to have a crack at him."
Root, who spent five months playing in
Adelaide grade cricket in the 2010-11 season
while attending the academy named after
current Australia coach Darren Lehmann,
says he s ready for the challenge.
He made his Test debut in India last
December and has shown versatility by bat-
ting up and down the order. He has scored
two centuries---including a test high 180
against Australia at Lord s in July when he
opened with captain Alastair Cook---and
has 791 runs at an average of almost 40.
"There have been different obstacles to
overcome and I just want to improve as a
player," the 22-year-old Root said. "This
match is massive, and it s a great opportunity
to go out there and make a statement as a
team and put a big score on the board.
"We can t think about last week; we have
to think about this week---put ourselves in
the front seat on that first day in Adelaide."
Much was made of the heated exchanges
in Brisbane, were players traded angry insults
and Australia captain Michael Clarke was
fined after using an expletive at England
tailender Jimmy Anderson that was picked
up by a stump microphone used for the TV
Root, who was targeted in an off-field
episode by David Warner that resulted in
the Australian opener being suspended and
missing the first two Tests of the last Ashes
series, said the tension on the field was all
part of the Ashes.
"I enjoy being out there, and the battles
you get are all part of the game," he said.
"I m sure it will continue the whole series.
"I don t think there s much point talking
about it. If we perform well that s best way
of counteracting it."
The Australians will continue to taunt
the England players, but Harris said Trott s
illness would be off limits.
"Jonathan has gone now and I d be dis-
appointed if anyone brings that up, it s not
a nice thing that he s going through," Harris
"We want Jonathan Trott back playing
cricket. The whole world does, the Australian
team does because... we want to play against
their best team." (AP)
England still undecided
ADELAIDE---Paceman Tim Bresnan has been
recalled to England s Test squad after recovering
from a back injury ahead of the second Ashes
Test against Australia.
Australia won the series-opening match by
381 runs in Brisbane, where its pace attacked
comprehensively outplayed England.
The England Cricket Board issued a statement
Monday announcing Bresnan has recovered from
a back stress fracture that has sidelined him since
August and "is available for selection" for the
Adelaide Test starting Thursday.
Bresnan, who has 67 wickets in 21 Tests, could
push for a spot in Adelaide but would more likely
be in the calculations for the third Test in Perth,
where the bounce and pace of the wicket suits
fast bowlers. (AP)
Bresnan called into
England Test squad
Australia's Michael Clarke checks on his ankle
after rolling it at training in Adelaide, yesterday.
Clarke trains well
after injury scare
CAPE TOWN---Sachin Tendulkar s tear-
ful farewell in front of an adoring home
crowd put a damper on this month s
series between the two best Test cricket
teams in the world.
The game s politics have also had a role
in undermining it.
India s first challenge in the post-Ten-
dulkar era is a two-Test away series against
top-ranked South Africa, but it was initially
planned as a three-match contest between
the five-day format s leading teams.
Tendulkar s 200th match was also going
to form part of the contest and was initially
planned for Cape Town and not Mumbai.
Instead, India s desire to give the world s
most worshipped player his tribute at home
led to a re-jigging of the schedule. While
India got to celebrate Tendulkar s career
last month, South Africa had matches
wiped off its international calendar and
was left with a cricket-less January.
India s squad, which landed in Johan-
nesburg yesterday without the world s
most prolific run-scorer, would have been
forgiven for just arriving late because of
Tendulkar s retirement, with his masterful
batting feats appreciated by fans every-
But the Board of Control for Cricket in
India s subsequent decision that its players
would also leave early has left a particularly
bad taste in South Africa.
The BCCI s decision to not just delay
but cut the tour from two Twenty20s,
seven one-day internationals and three
Tests over two months to just three ODIs
and two Tests---the bare minimum---was
seen as a poorly-disguised punishment
for South Africa appointing former ICC
head Haroon Lorgat as its new chief exec-
utive. India s BCCI has a history of run-
ins with Lorgat and the South African offi-
cial also withdrew from playing any role
in the curtailed India tour to make sure it
went ahead at all.
The short series still promises an
engrossing battle between South Africa s
fierce fast bowlers and India s gifted bats-
men, and millions wait to see who will be
picked in Tendulkar s spot at No 4 in India s
batting lineup in the first Test in Johan-
nesburg starting December 18, replacing
an irreplaceable player.
For the first time since 1989, India will
play with the "Little Master" no longer a
part of its national setup, and the tour is
"a new start" for India, captain Mahendra
Singh Dhoni said.
"We don t know who will be batting at
No 4 but there is no replacing the indi-
vidual (Tendulkar)," Dhoni said at a news
conference before leaving India for South
Africa. "Overall, I think it will be an exciting
series and there are exciting players in
both sides. It looks like it will be an inter-
But it s also a short one.
With just two Tests in Johannesburg
and Durban, India will be gone before the
new year without playing South Africa s
marquee match at Cape Town s historic
Newlands, which has gone from hosting
Tendulkar s historic 200th Test to no games
at all on the tour. (AP)
India begins post-Tendulkar era
England cricket player Ian Bell prepares for
batting practice during the team's training
in Sydney, Australia, recently. AP PHOTO
Links Archive December 2nd 2013 December 4th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page