Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 14th 2013 Contents A12
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, December 14, 2013
CONCERNED RESIDENTS OF CUNUPIA
drawn on 7th December 2013
1st Prize: 60" Flat Screen TV 1462
2nd Prize: 50" Flat Screen TV 1195
3rd Prize: 42" Flat Screen TV 1376
4th Prize: PC Tablet
5th Prize: Android Smart Phone 7777
PRIZES CAN BE COLLECTED AT
L.P. 5, ROYAL PARK,
CUNUPIA ON TUESDAY,
31ST DECEMBER AT 4.30 PM.
Tel: 683-2486 (Mr. Ramcharitar)
The public is hereby notified that
Junabo Productions Ltd.
proposes to Apply
Authority (EMA) for a variation in
accordance with the Noise
Pollution Control Rules 2001 for
the Event /Activity described
Date of Event/ Activity:
Saturday February 1st 2014
Description of Event/ Activity:
Junabo Band Launch & Cooler
Address of Event/ Activity:
Paria Avenue Recreation
Ground, Lange Park
Duration of Event/ Activity:
The public is invited to submit
comments within 5 working days
of the publication of this Notice
to the EMA
After months of protest about their livelihood
being taken away through the construction of the
highway to Point Fortin, members of the Crab
Catchers, Conch and Oyster Association have
finally got the assurance from Housing Minister
Dr Roodal Moonilal that their concerns will be
Association president Robert Nandlal and a del-
egation of ten met with Moonilal at his Debe con-
stituency office on Tuesday to seek his intervention.
At the end of the meeting, the association expressed
the hope that its members would get redress soon.
Nandlal said, for decades, the mangrove along
Mosquito Creek on the South Trunk Road has pro-
vided a living for over 40 families from the Debe,
Diamond and Esperance Villages.
He said without any consultation, the project
contractor, Construtora OAS, had cleared the
entrance to the mangrove to make way for the high-
way, damaging hundreds of crab-traps. He said
their inability to access the mangroves while con-
struction is taking place has also destroyed their
potential to earn a living.
Nandlal said appeals to the Ministry of Works
and OAS for a meeting to discuss compensation
for damaged traps and for the time they would be
prevented from accessing the mangrove, as well as
permission to continue fishing there, had fallen on
After the meeting on Tuesday, Moonilal said he
had agreed to make representation on behalf of the
40 or so families from his constituency.
"Generations of these families have been making
a livelihood from the mangrove, catching, processing
and selling crabs, conch and oysters," Moonilal said.
"They came to see me concerning representing
them with the Ministry of Works and the OAS, to
ensure they get compensation and other support
for loss of income and employment, because they
"I received them, heard their complaints and I
will speak with the Minister of Works, Dr Suruj
Rambachan, and officials of the OAS."
Moonilal said the issue would be addressed during
his meeting with the inter-ministerial committee
on the highway to ensure the families got some
measure of support.
Institute of Marine Affairs infor-
mation officer Lorie Lee Lum has
expressed disappointment that a
500-lbs hammerhead shark caught
by Moruga fishermen on Monday
was killed for its flesh instead of
Lee Lum, in a brief telephone inter-
view, said it was "unfortunate" the
large shark was killed.
She said sharks that size should be
left in the waters to reproduce.
On Wednesday, the T&T Guardian
published a photo of seven fisherman
struggling to pull the shark out of
their boat and onto the jetty at Moru-
ga.The shark was caught by a fisher-
man identified as "Captain Sheriff"
and his crew.
Lee Lum said hammerhead sharks
are not unusual in T&T waters, since
they are found in tropical waters.
However, she said it was not a normal
feat to capture a 500-lbs hammer-
Earlier this year, she said another
500-lbs hammerhead was caught and
killed, this time in Tobago.
is sad that it was taken out of the
water again, for the second time for
the year," she lamented.
She said in general, sharks the world
over are decreasing in numbers and
the size of the hammerhead that was
caught indicated it was of reproductive
age and should have been set free.
"That is where the danger lies,
when these large reproductive animals
are being taken out of the ecosystem.
This is the second one of reproductive
(size)," she said.
"We have no laws saying that you
cannot take the sharks. The number
of sharks in the world are down and
that relates from fins for shark fin
soup, (and) accidental catch. In fact
that goes for a number of marine ani-
IMA rep unhappy
Minister of Housing and MP for Oropouche East Roodal Moonilal, left, chats with a delegation from the Crab
Catchers, Conch and Oyster Association at his Debe Constituency office on Tuesday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Links Archive December 13th 2013 December 15th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page