Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 24th 2013 Contents A61
Monday, December 24, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
BARCELONA---Andres Iniesta signed a three-year
contract extension yesterday that will keep him at
Barcelona at least through the end of the 2017-18
The contract includes a clause that from 2018 the
midfielder will automatically extend his contract on
a yearly basis if he plays in a non-disclosed number
of games per season.
The 29-year-old Iniesta has helped Barcelona win
21 trophies, including three Champions League titles
and six Spanish league titles. He has scored 48 goals
Iniesta has also played a major role in helping
Spain win the World Cup and the past two European
Iniesta joined Barcelona's football academy at the
age of 12 and debuted with the first team in 2002.
He played his 480th match with Barcelona on Sunday,
when it rallied to win 5-2 at Getafe to retain its share
of the Spanish league lead with Atletico Madrid.
Iniesta said after Sunday's match that he was
happy with his new contract --- announced by the
club last week --- because it meant "it's possible I
will retire at Barca."
Besides Iniesta, Barcelona has Lionel Messi, Neymar,
Sergio Busquets and Cristian Tello all under contract
for the next five seasons. (AP)
Iniesta signs with
Barca until 2018
CARDIFF---After expecting to be fired
over the weekend, Cardiff manager
Malky Mackay said yesterday that the
club s owner won t meet him.
The Scot looked likely to lose his job
after receiving an ultimatum last week
from owner Vincent Tan to resign or be
fired in an email that listed grievances
against the manager.
Mackay refused to resign and chairman
Mehmet Dalman assured the manager on
Sunday that he would remain in charge
for the "foreseeable future."
But there was a caveat in Sunday's state-
ment, with Dalman saying there would
need to be some form of reconciliation
between the owner and manager.
"I've been asked if I would meet the
owner and Mehmet, which is absolutely
something that would be for the good the
club and for the good of us all going for-
ward," Mackay said at a news conference.
"I think that should be sooner rather
than later. I certainly wanted that meeting
to be today but unfortunately that was
declined. If not today, then tomorrow but
unfortunately that has also been declined.
So after that we are in Christmas Day and
then there's game day so unfortunately
that's probably not going to be until the
end of the week."
Mackay has been trying to meet the
Malaysian owner for three months without
success. Tan and Mackay clashed over the
dismissal of head of recruitment Iain
Moody in October, and the damage has
yet to be repaired.
"I don't know if we can talk," Mackay
said. "There are certain areas that have
to be addressed that were in the email.
I will find out when I go to the meeting.
At that point I will take stock of where
Mackay said he had been angered by
Tan's email, and is surprised to still be
employed by the club.
"I was given an email which deeply
upset me," Mackay said. "I politely
declined to resign and then I suppose after
the weekend I expected to be sacked."
The tensions within the club have over-
shadowed Cardiff's first season in the Pre-
mier League, with protests against Tan
during Saturday's 3-1 loss at Liverpool.
Tan had already alienated some fans by
changing the club's colors from blue to
red and adopting a new crest. (AP)
Mackay's attempts to meet Cardiff owner rejected
MANCHESTER---Manchester United manager
David Moyes says Marouane Fellaini will be
out for up to six weeks following wrist sur-
The midfielder had an operation on Saturday,
and is set to miss seven Premier League games,
the third round of the FA Cup and the semifinals
of the League Cup.
Moyes says "we just couldn't get him recovered
from his back. We thought it would be OK after
10 days but it wasn't getting any better so we
made a quick decision to get the wrist done."
Although Moyes says Fellaini will be out for
six weeks, he adds there "is a chance it could
be shorter than that." (AP)
Fellaini facing 6
LONDON---Police say West Ham
defender James Tomkins has been
charged with assaulting an officer out-
side a nightclub.
The 24-year-old Tomkins was arrested
after police were called in the early hours
of Sunday morning to a club in the county
of Essex, east of London. Essex Police say
"officers arrived and arrested James Tomkins
before charging him with one count of
assaulting a police officer, one count of
resisting arrest and one count of being
drunk and disorderly in a public place."
Tomkins, who lives in Essex, has been
released on bail and is due to appear at
Basildon Magistrates' Court on January 9.
Tomkins, who was on the British team
at the London Olympics, played in West
Ham's 3-1 loss at Manchester United on
Saturday hours before the incident. (AP)
West Ham defender charged with assault
MADRID---Real Madrid says mid-
fielder Xabi Alonso has a burst left
eardrum and that his availability will
depend on the speed of his recovery.
The club says the injury is the result
of a knock received during Sunday's 3-
2 win at Valencia.
The 32-year-old Alonso was sidelined
several months from the end of last season
until the start of this campaign with
injuries. The Spanish league is on a two-
week winter holiday break.
Madrid's next match is on January 6
against Celta Vigo.
Madrid is in third place, five points
behind co-leaders Barcelona and Atletico
Alonso has burst eardrum
Links Archive December 23rd 2013 December 25th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page