Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 3rd 2014 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, January 3, 2014
Take Notice that
Glenfield Road, in Blue
Range, in the Ward of
Diego Martin, will be
closed to public access
from 6.00 p.m. on
Friday 3rd January,
2014, until 6.00 a.m. on
Sunday 5th January,
Petrotrin president Khalid
Hassanali says the state-owned
oil company has spent $8 mil-
lion so far to clean up the spill
at La Brea.
Hassanali made the comment
during a news conference at the
Office of the Prime Minister in
St Clair yesterday.
It followed a second meeting
between company officials, led
by chairman Lindsay Gillette,
and the National Security Coun-
cil, chaired by acting Prime Min-
ister Errol McLeod, in the past
The largest oil spill in recent
history occurred on December
17 over a nine-mile area of the
La Brea coastline.
Petrotrin hired Oil Spills
Response Limited of the United
States to assist with the clean-
up exercise last week and work
Gillette told reporters the cost
is expected to be much more
than $8 million in the end.
"It is going to be a lot more
spending but when it is done
we will say this is what it cost.
"We are not sparing anything,
we are going to spend whatever
is required to make sure this
thing goes away."
In response to a call by Oppo-
sition Leader Dr Keith Rowley
for an urgent independent
inquiry to be done on the spill,
Gillette said "that was his (Row-
ley s) view."
Gillette said the company had
competent people who were
committed to addressing the
matter. He said Petrotrin was
also working with the Environ-
mental Authority in that regard.
Meanwhile, Hassanali said
over the past two weeks of
clean-up operations, the com-
pany had collected about 1,100
to 1,200 barrels of oil from the
La Brea coastline. He said on
Tuesday and Wednesday of this
week, protesters in La Brea had
prevented workers from engag-
ing in clean-up operations as
they were demanding more
employment. However, Has-
sanali said there have been
"unfortunate incidents" because
the workload had decreased.
Hassanali said more manual
work would be done in the com-
ing days to prevent recontam-
ination by some of the heavy
equipment. Consequently, he
said, there will be opportunities
over next week or two.
Petrotrin s manager health,
safety and the environment
(HSE) Shyam Dial, who also
spoke at the conference, said
the La Brea oil spill has had
"minimal impact on birds and
fish. There has been no major
fish kill, there has been no major
environmental disaster in terms
of dead birds, floating crabs."
Dial said Petrotrin had also
been following the best practices
to clean the spill in sensitive
areas and shoreline areas. He
said propellors were being used
to disperse the oil and rough sea
conditions were also assisting
in dispersing the oil. No large
quantity of chemicals have been
used to clean the spill, he added.
He said there were a number
of natural oil seeps in the marine
area of La Brea, adding that nat-
urally, oil will continuously seep
from those areas into the water.
Dial said that oil won t be seen
on the surface because there
were microbes in the water and
fish and other aquatic animals
adapt to those conditions over
years and build up a resistance.
"This will help us in our
remediation and rehabilitation
of that whole area," Dial told
In response to another ques-
tion, vice-president exploration
and production Jamaludin Khan
said the oil spill did not affect
the start of the seismic survey.
objected to the survey, saying it
would have adverse effects on
the fish. Khan said the exercise
was in progress. He said the
project started at Crew s Inn,
Chaguaramas, earlier this week
in the company s eastern field
The Environmental Management Authority
(EMA) is today expected to serve Petrotrin with
notice of charges for environmental breaches and
a notice of non-compliance, arising out of the oil
spill currently affecting the southwestern penin-
Yesterday, EMA communications officer Amrita
Maharaj-Dube confirmed that the authority s legal
department was in the final stages of drafting the
notice and reviewing other legal steps open to it on
the issue of the oil spills.
Maharaj-Dube, speaking with the T&T Guardian
in a telephone interview yesterday, said: "We intend
to (serve) promptly. We are currently working on (the
notice of non-compliance) right now."
She said she could not confirm the full contents
of the notice and breaches to be levelled against the
state-run oil company.
"We are exploring all legal options on what specific
action can be taken in this matter at this point in
time. Our legal department is finalising those details.
Unfortunately, I have no details to provide for you,"
She said the EMA would issue a media release
later today once the charges and notice have been
completed and served.
On Wednesday, the T&T Guardian exclusively
reported that the EMA was taking steps to serve
Petrotrin with a notice of non-compliance with envi-
ronmental regulations arising out of the oil spill.
Environment Minister Ganga Singh had confirmed
the pending EMA action, noting that there were
environmental breaches that had occurred as a result
of the oil spill and the EMA would take the necessary
legal action in accordance with the law against
The minister s comments came on the heels of
protests by La Brea residents, who expressed disap-
pointment over the way Petrotrin had been treating
them since the spill.
Petrotrin has been battling the oil spill since Decem-
ber 17, initially at Pointe-a-Pierre. Since then, the
company has reported some 11 spills in the last two
weeks. Sabotage was said to have been behind two
of the spills yesterday. (See Page A7)
The hardest-hit area is La Brea. The main beaches
in that area, Point Saube, Coffee Beach and Carat
Beach, have been severely affected by the spill.
Residents at Coffee Beach have been offered tem-
porary accommodation at the La Brea Community
Centre until the clean-up near their homes is com-
pleted. However, they have refused, opting instead
to remain in their homes. They said the centre was
unfit for human habitation.
to Petrotrin today
1,200 barrels recovered at La Brea oil spill...
$8m spent so far
The 33-year-old man
who allegedly abducted
Noel last month
remained in hospital last
night, after he was final-
ly arrested by police yes-
The suspect, who had
been on the run since he
released the child, com-
plained of body pains
while in detention at the
Besson Street Police Sta-
tion, after being held by
officers of the North
Eastern Division Task
Force (NEDTF), headed
by Inspector Roger
Alexander and including
Sgt Cornelius Samuel,
Cpl Williams, and PC
The man was first
taken to the Morvant
Police Station after his
capture yesterday morn-
The suspect was due
to surrender to police on
December 20, three days
after he allegedly
snatched the child from
her Duncan Street, Port-
of-Spain home. On that
day he failed to show.
Yesterday, officers said
he was scheduled to meet
with them between 9 am
and 10 am, again to sur-
render. When officers
realised he was not com-
ing and his cell phone
was switched off, they
who told them where the
man was last seen.
The man was held at
9.30 am along the East-
ern Main Road in San
The man s attorney,
Fareed Ali, said his client
was taken to the Port-
of-Spain General Hospi-
tal after complaining of
severe abdominal, chest
and head pains.
Keyianna kidnap suspect finally arrested
Links Archive January 2nd 2014 January 4th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page