Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 8th 2014 Contents B14
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Do you believe in making resolutions or deci-
sions about what you would like to achieve
for the year ahead. Have you made any reso-
lutions for 2014? Write a letter to a close
friend, stating at least two (2) things that
you would really like to achieve or dofor 2014
(apart from being successful in your SEA Ex-
amination). Describe why you have chosen
these two things and say, in some detail,
what you would do to ensure that you are
2. Many of you would have received some gifts
for Christmas. Is there any gift that was very
different from those you have received in the
past? How did you feel on receiving it? Write
a story that begins with the following line: "I
received many gifts for Christmas but this
one (name the gift) was the most unusual
one that I have ever received..."
3. Christmas is a time when many kind things
are done for different people in our society.
However, one must try to be kind at all times.
If you were able to do a very kind deed for
someone, what would that be? Write a letter
to a close friend, informing him/her, in some
detail about this act of kindness that you
would like to do, giving reasons why you
would have chosen this deed from among
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Give the Part of Speech of each underlined
Some Trinidadians travel abroad each Christ-
1. Two other boys will be chosen on the team.
2. Unless you explain this to me, I'll find it very
difficult to do. (___________)
3. "Race me to the playground, "Selvon said to
his friend, Suresh. (___________)
4. There was much nervousness after the last
goal was scored against the team.
B. Underline one (1) of the words in the brack-
ets to complete the following sentences:-
(We'ave; We've) been given one hour to fin-
ish this task.
5. Why (weren't; were'nt) you there, yester-
6. We all believed that she (would'nt; wouldn't)
refuse the opportunity to play for the class.
7. (Theyw'll; They'll) tell us if they are coming
8. (She'd; Shew'd) speak to you soon, if you can
C. Use a suitable form of each word in capitals
to complete the following sentences.
SLIP Slipping through the hole, the
pompek suddenly found himself in
the middle of the yard.
9. SEEK The police has ______________ to
gather evidence in the shortest
10. GRIND Mummy had to ______________ the
meat before making the pastelles.
11. SHAKE After _____________ the branch,
Tommy climbed down quickly to
gather all the ripe plums.
12. RING School was dismissed as soon as
the bell had ______________.
D. Replace each underlined word or phrase
with another suitable word.
Is that girl (she) the same one who won the
prize, last week?
13. Jonathan and I (___________) enjoy playing
14. Do you think that it is his sister
(___________) who would be chosen as our
15. Jeffrey's younger brother (___________) is
always the life of the party.
16. Is this basket of fruits (___________) enough
for all the guests?
E. Tick ( ) one (1) of the words within the
brackets to complete each sentence cor-
This pack of cards (is; are) all we need for the
17. Either the pumpkin or eddoes (are; is) in the
18. (Isn't; Aren't) Aunty Dina and Uncle Bob ac-
companying us to the playground?
19. Ice cream, along with some chocolate filled
biscuits (were; was) served to each child at a
special New Year's party.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Underline each error then write only
the correction in the brackets provided.
The pupil to which our teacher was speaking
had been crying for some time. (to whom -- to
refer to a person)
20. She is the onliest person whom I can trust.
21. Our mother and her attended the same pri-
mary school. (___________)
22. You think this is very easy, do'nt you?
As exam time gets
closer, don't be shy about
making healthier food and
• Ask for fruit instead
of fries or chips.
• Drink non-fat or low fat milk or
water instead of whole milk.
• Choose water, milk or 100%
fruit juice instead of carbon-
• Order prepared foods that are
steamed, broiled, grilled,
Eat Healthily! poached, or roasted- NOT fried.
• Order salads with 'lite' or
non-fat dressing instead of
• Minimize the use of
gravy, sauces and dress-
ings; have them served
on the side.
• Avoid ordering large
portions just because
they are a deal.
Links Archive January 7th 2014 January 9th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page