Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 22nd 2014 Contents A7
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
The National Carnival Com-
mission (NCC) soon may find
itself in the middle of a battle over
the new parade route for this
year s Carnival celebrations,
despite having assured that band-
leaders had reached consensus
on the plan.
Last week, the NCC released a
statement saying that after dis-
cussions on the benefits of the
new plan from Dereck Hamilton
of C&H Associates, bandleaders
had agreed it was worthwhile to
attempt a solution rather than con-
tinue to "squabble about the sta-
The new plan, which proposes
to change the flow of the parade
from an anti-clockwise direction
to a clockwise direction on the big
stage at the Queen s Park Savan-
nah, Port-of-Spain, is not being
welcomed by all bandleaders.
Some bandleaders plan to meet
this week to discuss ways of fight-
ing the new proposal, which they
believe could do more harm than
Paul Singh, Dream Team band-
leader, is convinced the change
would lead to chaos on the road.
In an interview yesterday, he said
he could not agree with the new
Singh said: "It is total chaos.
None of the bands got prior infor-
mation and we have already decid-
ed on the logistics of mas on the
road. We have already decided on
where to stop for lunch, meeting
"How can they come six weeks
before the Carnival to say there is
a route change? That should have
been done since after Carnival (last
"We (the bandleaders) are the
ones who have to take the pressure
and make the adjustments but we
are not involved in the planning
process. I see this new plan causing
a lot more problems."
The new plan would see the
parade moving from Tragarete
Road, up Victoria Avenue and to
Legacy bandleader Michael (Big
Mike) Antoine said he had not
heard that the new route had been
"I haven t heard any details of
the changes," he added.
Another bandleader, Ronnie
McIntosh, said he was not aware
the new route had been confirmed.
"I knew it was being discussed
and that they said they would have
a second meeting with bandlead-
ers, but I was not aware that it
was official," he added.
McIntosh said he would reserve
comment until he got further
The number of bandleaders at
the meeting could not be verified.
President of the National Car-
nival Bands Association (NCBA)
David Lopez said he could not con-
firm or deny any decisions taken
at the meeting.
He admitted he had been pres-
ent but answered questions posed
by the T&T Guardian by saying:
"I cannot confirm anything."
Derek Rajnauth, Trini Revellers
bandleader, suggested a new route
would not be a bad idea.
"It is good. Let us try something
new. Trinidadians are afraid of
change but I feel it is better.
"With the old route, bands
would have to take off their music
when passing the hospital (Port-
of-Spain General). This way we
don t have to do that."
Employees of the Family Court
yesterday refrained from further
protests at their work place but have
decided to leave the court during the
lunch hour, between noon and 1 pm,
effectively shutting down the court
for one hour each day until their
issues were resolved.
They say they are awaiting com-
munication from their union, the Pub-
lic Service Association (PSA), before
taking further action.
On Monday, employees refused to
work for over two hours while protest-
ing unpaid backpay, overworked staff
and the court s failure to provide terms
and conditions for employees.
In a release, court protocol and
information manager Jones Madeira
asked staff to have patience as the
Judiciary continued to have discus-
sions on the issues with the Ministry
of Public Administration, the Office
of the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO)
and the Public Management Con-
sulting Division (PMCD).
He said another round of discus-
sions would be held with those agen-
cies shortly and the Judiciary hoped
that resolution was imminent.
However, staff members yesterday
said they had heard those statements
One staff member said employees
would not be satisfied until talk was
followed by action. (KC)
NCC faces battle
over new mas route
NCC: pluses of new route
A release from the NCC said
the new route will see the
• A larger area leading to the
Savannah stage will mean
increased capacity for
queuing and less
• Bands approaching the
stage will not be close to
the Port-of-Spain General
Hospital. Therefore music
trucks will be able to play,
adding to the experience of
• Bands leaving the stage
will have a choice of
creating a "release mode"
instead of a bottleneck.
Family Court workers in
daily one-hour protest
Ravi B of Karma, left, JW, Olatunji Yearwood, DJ Mr Smooth, KFC's 2014
Carnival ambassador, Denise "Saucy Wow" Belfon and Blaze during KFC's
Release D Riddim campaign at Prestige Holdings Ltd's hospitality suite,
Queen's Park Oval, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. PHOTO: DAVID WEARS
RELEASING D RIDDIM
Links Archive January 21st 2014 January 23rd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page