Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 29th 2014 Contents RICHARD LORD
The Government secured pas-
sage of the controversial Bail
(Amendment) Bill after major
amendments during yesterday s
five-hour marathon session of
the Committee Stage.
The Government agreed to
amend a major provision regarding
the denial of bail clause. Seven
Independents voted with the Gov-
ernment while two voted with the
six Opposition senators against
the measure. Independent senator
Subhas Ramkhelawan, who voted
with the Government said he sup-
ported the bill after the amend-
ment was made.
The bill was presented by Attor-
ney General Anand Ramlogan.
Ramkhelawan said under the
original bill, someone with a pre-
vious conviction would be denied
bail for 120 days. He said the leg-
islation was not clear on what
would have happened after that
period had expired. He said if evi-
dence was brought with that peri-
od, what happened after was not
clear on whether the accused
could seek bail before a judge or
He said the intent of the leg-
islation as was brought originally
suggested that bail would not be
granted until the matter was com-
"The main concern was that
somebody could be charged and
be held in custody for five or seven
years or however long it takes for
the matter to be determined,"
Ramkhewlawan said in an inter-
view last night.
"That was seen by many sen-
ators to be too onerous a burden
on any citizen.
"There was some negotiation
and the maximum amount of time
somebody can be held on a charge
without bail was one year."
He said that means if the matter
was not heard and completed
within one year, then that person
would be entitled to bail before a
Ramkhelawan said that was the
main area of contention and once
that matter was settled, a number
of senators accepted the bill with
some other changes.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, January 29, 2014
A group of activists opposing the construc-
tion of a sporting facility at the Orange Grove
Savannah has initiated legal action challenging
the planning permission granted for the proj-
In its claim, filed in the Port-of-Spain High
Court on Monday, the "Save Our Orange Grove
Savannah" group is seeking a declaration that
the approval granted by the Ministry of Planning
and Sustainable Development on September 27
last year is illegal, null, void and of no effect.
They contend that the ministry breached its
duty under the Town and Country Planning
Act by failing to consult with the
Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation and
members of the public before granting approval.
The legislation requires the ministry to consult
with the regional body which controls the site
of the proposed project and to invite members
of the public to make objections which would
be considered by a public inquiry.
The group consists of 17 people who live in
areas near the savannah including Trincity,
Tacarigua and Arouca, as well as two sports
clubs, the Ulric "Buggy" Haynes Coaching
School and the Dinsley Cricket Club.
The group is also asking the court to quash
the approval and order the ministry to carry
out a "procedurally fair" consultation process
in accordance with the legislation.
In October, the Sports Company of T&T
(SPORTT) announced the beginning of con-
struction of the proposed facility, which will
include an international-standard football field,
an athletics track, a 900-seat covered pavilion,
public toilets and concessionaire spaces, and
an indoor sporting facility.
On November 24, the Tunapuna/Piarco
Regional Corporation issued a "Stop Order
Notice" on the company contracted to construct
the facility, Synthesis Group Ltd, saying their
application for approval from the corporation
was missing key documents including a cer-
tificate of clearance (CEC) from the Environ-
mental Management Authority (EMA).
The group began the litigation in December
last year, when High Court judge Ricky Rahim
gave it leave to file for judicial review.
The group is being represented by Senior
Counsel Fyard Hosein and attorney Rishi Dass.
The next hearing will take place next Thurs-
Another murder has been
recorded for the year, following the
death of Earl Campo approximately
six hours after he was shot near
his home in Sangre Grande.
Around 6.30 am yesterday,
Campo, 37, of Horse Trace, Sangre
Grande, was in his garden when he
saw a man with a shotgun standing
in front of him. Campo raised an
alarm but the suspect fired, hitting
him in the right leg. The gunman,
who Campo knew well, ran away.
His killing pushed the toll to 41.
There were 35 murders for the cor-
responding period last year.
Campo was taken to the Sangre
Grande District Hospital, where he
died just after noon yesterday. The
shooting was a dispute over the land
that Campo was cultivating, police
In an unrelated matter, a Diego
Martin man is listed in a critical
condition at Port-of-Spain General
Hospital after being shot in the
Police reports that said around
8.15 am, Joey Auguste, of Upper La
Puerta, Diego Martin, was walking
near his home when he was
approached by a group of men. One
of them shot him.
Auguste was later seen running
along the Western Main Road by
Insp Geoffrey Hospedales of the
Carenage Police Station, who was
on his way to work.
He took Auguste to hospital,
where up to yesterday evening he
was listed in critical condition.
Police said they were having dif-
ficulty finding the crime scene, as
residents were reluctant to speak
with them and they were unable to
interview Auguste. Western Division
police are continuing investigations.
Orange Grove Savannah project goes to court...
Group challenges ministry's approval
toll to 41
Independent senators Subhas Ramkhelawan and Helen Drayton converse
during the sitting of the senate yesterday. PHOTO: MARYANN AUGUSTE
Amended Bail Bill passed
Links Archive January 28th 2014 January 30th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page