Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 11th 2014 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
A man from Diego Martin, who is accused of
raping his ten-year-old daughter three times last
year, was denied bail when he appeared in court
The 32-year-old man, who cannot be named to
protect the identity of the victim, was not called
upon to plead to the three incest charges which
were laid indictably.
The man is accused of raping the child at their
home on three occasions between September and
December last year. He was arrested by Western
Division police in a police anti-crime exercise last
Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor, who was
presiding over his hearing in the Port-of-Spain
Seventh Court, denied him bail after police pros-
ecutors said his criminal tracing had not been
Baboolal-Gafoor also asked him to consider where
he would be living if granted bail, as part of his bail
conditions would include an order that he would
not contact his daughter, who lives at his home.
The suspect represented himself.
Baboolal-Gafoor adjourned the matter to today
when she will consider the suspect s bail.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Alleged attacks on schoolgirls stun SDA body..
for 07th FEBRUARY, 2014
No bail for sex
with daughter, 10
A Tobago primary school principal
appeared in the Scarborough Magistrates
Court yesterday charged with 14 counts
of sexual assault against four students.
Shortly after 11 am, David Smith, 52, the
principal of a prominent Seventh Day
Adventist (SDA) school, stood before Mag-
istrate Glen Mahabir as the charges were
read to him.
All the charges were laid indictably and
he was not called upon to plead.
The T&T Guardian understands that the
alleged victims range in ages from ten to 12
years old. The offences are a combination
of indecent assault and serious indecency
and are alleged to have taken place on the
Smith, a married father of five, was grant-
ed $400,000 bail subject to approval by a
clerk of the peace.
He was ordered to stay away from his
alleged victims, not to contact them, either
directly or indirectly, and to report to the
Roxborough Police Station on Mondays and
Thursdays between 7 am and 6 pm.
The principal was represented by attorney
Anthony Arnold. Mr Smith is also an elder
in an Adventist Church in east Tobago. He
is scheduled to reappear on March 10.
The T&T Guardian understands the news
of the alleged incidents had stunned the
Contacted yesterday, communications
officer of the Tobago Mission of Seventh
Day Adventists, Wilfred des Vignes, said
the church s position has always been about
maintaining high morals and spiritual val-
"The standard of the church remains the
same despite the incident that is now in
the hand of the police and we are co-oper-
ating with the investigation as it has not
yet been completed," Des Vignes said.
He said the mission met with the Division
of Education yesterday and it has pledged
its support in counseling the students at
However, he said, the teachers and stu-
dents at the school had managed to continue
their activities yesterday despite the severity
of the matter and the effect it had on the
"School is operating as normal. All mem-
bers of staff were on the job today (yesterday)
and we are supporting the staff. We would
have also had some discussions with the
Division of Education and they are going
to assist us in providing additional counseling
and support for both the students and the
teachers," he said.
Des Vignes said Smith, who has been a
principal of the school for approximately
ten years, has been suspended from the
position and has since been asked to step
down as an elder of his church.
Tobago police are continuing investiga-
out senior elder
Walker, left, and
after she was
crowned at the
Queen Show at
the Point Fortin
QUEENS IN A ROW
Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) corporate com-
munications manager Clint Williams says 13 pas-
sengers cancelled flights out of Guyana bound for
JFK Airport in New York yesterday. However, he
described this as normal.
He made the comment in response to question on
whether reports that United States embassy in George-
town had received a threat that a flight bound for
JFK from Guyana would be a target for terrorist, had
prompted flight cancellations by passengers. (See
"We have not had a particularly high number of
cancellations for the flight today (Monday). We have
operated as usual without any incidents. We have a
strong reputation for safety. Overall, may be 13 people
in all the flights which left today, which is standard,
you would have three or four no-shows."
There were three flights out of the Cheddi Jaggan
International Airport bound for New York yesterday
and Williams said the cancellations were "not a sig-
nificant change from any normal operating day."
13 CAL passengers
cancel JFK flights
Links Archive February 10th 2014 February 12th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page