Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 18th 2014 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
Autopsy findings on two suspects who were
shot dead by police hours after they murdered
Cunupia businessman Darryl Painter confirmed
the officers story that the bandits had guns in
their hands when they were confronted.
The suspects have been identified as Junior Noel,
32, of Freeport, and Anderson Aldo Deo Jnr, 27, of
According to forensic pathologist Dr Valery
Alexandrov the men were shot from the front and
sustained defensive wounds to their left hands
during the shootout with police.
Alexandrov explained that when a person is being
shot they usually use both hands to shield their
body. However, in Noel and Deo's cases, there were
no defensive wounds to their right hands, which
implies that they were holding onto something.
The shootout took place near the Preysal Flyover
on Friday after officers led by Supt Johnny Abraham,
Insp Terrence Williams and Sgt Jitindra Toolaram
caught up with their getaway car along the Sir
Solomon Hochoy Highway shortly after Painter's
Police also believe the men are responsible for
the murder of Lance Corporal Rawle Fletcher last
year. Fletcher, 34, his friend, Mitra Maharaj, 46, a
businessman of Trent Drive, Orchard Gardens,
Chaguanas, and Anil Diram, 19, were all shot dead
outside a Couva bar on December 22.
Noel and Deo's killing came within 30 minutes
after they murdered Painter, who was selling Valen-
tine Day gifts along Southern Main Road, Cunupia.
Alexadrov confirmed that Painter was shot twice
from the back of the neck and 11 times about the
rest of his body.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
NCC drops internet plan
for 17th FEBRUARY, 2014
Trinidadians and other fans of Carnival
living abroad may be facing a blackout
after the tendering process for the televi-
sion production rights to stream a dozen
Carnival shows and mas online were
quashed by the National Carnival Com-
The decision means while Carnival can
still be streamed online, the video may not
be professionally produced to a high standard
as originally planned. Further, the profes-
sional companies previously interested in
doing so may not, meaning there may be
no proper streaming of shows and mas dur-
ing the season.
NCC chair Allison Demas yesterday con-
firmed the move, adding only that the deci-
sion was made on "legal grounds."
In a brief interview, Demas said: "There
were two tendering processes, one for broad-
cast rights and one for the television pro-
duction rights. That one (television pro-
duction rights) has been withdrawn on legal
grounds and letters were sent to the various
But producer, director and writer Danielle
Dieffenthaller described the move as back-
ward and one which could result in a poor
quality product being put out from entities
or individuals who may still decide to stream
Bids closed on November 6 last year and
the companies that tendered were Advance
Dynamics, Vistrac Ltd and Cedar House,
Dieffenthaller's company. The T&T Guardian
was told, however, that another company,
which did not bid, would have been awarded
the contract. Demas denied that.
Dieffenthaller said she met an evaluation
committee in late January and was asked
to supply additional information, including
the number of crew members. But the entire
process, she added, was a waste of time.
She said the NCC should have had the
courtesy to inform production houses much
earlier that the tendering process would be
null and void. She was told of the decision
to cancel the process in a letter sent to her
on February 6.
On what that meant for this year's Car-
nival, Dieffenthaller said: "Carnival will still
be streamed, for example, via CNMG.
"But the NCC wanted to do something
different to showcase our Carnival. Those
who bid would have done the production,
then they (NCC) would have taken it and
streamed it to whoever they want.
"Since the entire thing has been cancelled
what it means is that anyone with a camera
who has a stream can stream it on the inter-
net but what quality would the world be
seeing and how would our Carnival be por-
She said the asking price for the bids was
"$6 million and under," which she added
was a drop in the bucket.
Urging the NCC to implement better
guidelines for next year, Dieffenthaller added:
"This was really not good planning, to say
the least. An important part of the whole
process is the broadcast which you are sell-
"I have people on standby but it's a good
thing most of my people are freelancers."
Efforts to contact CNMG CEO Ken Ali
yesterday were unsuccessful as calls to his
cellphone went unanswered.
NCC's cancellation letter
The T&T Guardian obtained a copy of
the letter sent to bidders on behalf of the
NCC by attorney Dharmendra Punwasee
of Victoria Chambers, 24 Victoria Square
It read: "My instructions are that the
NCC issued a request for the proposal for
the television broadcast rights for 12 of the
main events for the Carnival 2014 season.
Subsequent to the said request the NCC
received a number of bids including one
from your company.
"The submitted bids were evaluated and
subsequently the NCC's board was provided
with an assessment of the bids, including
the price tendered by each bidder," the letter
It added that owing to "tender prices and
adjusted tender prices being so unexpectedly
elevated" and on the basis of expert advice
given to the board, the NCC had resolved
not to pursue the project contemplated in
"The board wishes to thank you for your
interest and will take steps in the future to
refine the terms of the request for proposals
in an effort to regulate the financial burden
and manage the technical challenges
encountered this year."
Cops ID two shot
Our page A1 photo accompanying the lead story on
Sunday, headlined Crisis: Children in Blanchisseuse
out of control, featured two girls. The girls were not
identified and their faces were blurred to protect
their identities. We wish further to make it clear that
the photo was intended as a general illustration and
not to imply that they were involved in any way in
the activity highlighted in the article. We apologize to
the girls and their families for any inconvenience or
distress that may have been caused by incorrect
inferences drawn from the photo.
GET IT RIGHT
assist a Carib
(See page A5)
Links Archive February 17th 2014 February 19th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page