Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 19th 2014 Contents B18
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Write about any one (1) of the following topics:-
1. Some people feel that Carnival is a waste of
time and money while others believe that it has
its advantages. What do you think about Carni-
val? Write a letter to the editor of one of the
daily newspapers either criticizing Carnival or
describing how valuable you think it can be to
2. Everyone is special in some way. Do you think
that you are special? What makes you special?
Write a story about yourself that begins with
the following line: "I just know that I am a spe-
3. Many people abroad in the U.S A and different
parts in Canada are presently experiencing ex-
tremely cold weather. Would you enjoy living in
these countries or do you enjoy the hot
weather here in Trinidad? Write a letter telling
this person why you would prefer living in a
country where the weather gets very cold at
certain times in the year or why you enjoy living
here where the weather is usually hot.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Circle one (1) of the words in the brackets to
complete each of the following sentences.
The office is annexed (to; with) the main build-
1. Cheryl is interested (with; in) playing tennis for
2. Some persons totally abstain (from; against)
3. The policeman tried to reason (from; with) the
prisoner but he did not want to cooperate.
4. I should take two teaspoonfuls of medicine ac-
cording (to; with) this prescription.
B. Rewrite each of the following sentences, put-
ting in one (1) of the words given in the
(S1) Either she or I (is; am) hoping to visit you,
(S2) Either she or I am hoping to visit you, this
5. Most of the ten dollars (was; were) spent on
6. (Is; Are) everybody ready to leave?
7. Either she or they already (know; knows) what
took place, yesterday.
8. Neither those boys nor he (plays; play) for our
C. Put in 's or s' where the word shows posses-
sion in the following sentences.
(S1) Shari's singing is just so inspiring.
(S2) Sheldon is the leader of the Boys' Hiking
9. Please sell me five dollars worth of plums.
10. Peter and Margaret sporting goods store sells
a variety of sport equipment.
11. Can you lend me Hanna book for the week end.
12. We can't understand why its so difficult to
solve this puzzle.
D. Complete each of the following sentences by
writing in one of the words on the left in each
sub ; inter Please do not interrupt when I'm
Most stuntmen are ___venturous.
He was sent home because of his
______ kempt appearance.
15. trans ; ad Mummy will _____ plant the
16. un ; dis The driver was ______tracted by
the sudden, loud noise.
E. Circle one (1) of the words in the brackets
that will make each sentence correct.
In the distance, the sky (floated; appeared)
17. Many of the restless fans in the stadium
(clapped ; became) noisy.
18. Doesn't that (seem ; resemble) to be the same
person whom we saw yesterday?
19. This mango (touches ; feels) ripe.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline each
error, then rewrite only the correction in the
The thieves had stole a large part of the
farmer's crops. (stolen) - incorrect verb form
20. It is not her I wish to see. (_____________)
21. Dennis had to return back home to get his pen.
22. Neither Sally nor any of her sisters are a mem-
ber of the school's hockey team.
As exam time gets
closer, don't be shy about
making healthier food and
• Ask for fruit instead
of fries or chips.
• Drink non-fat or low fat milk or
water instead of whole milk.
• Choose water, milk or 100%
fruit juice instead of carbon-
• Order prepared foods that are
steamed, broiled, grilled,
Eat Healthily! poached, or roasted- NOT fried.
• Order salads with 'lite' or
non-fat dressing instead of
• Minimize the use of
gravy, sauces and dress-
ings; have them served
on the side.
• Avoid ordering large
portions just because
they are a deal.
Links Archive February 18th 2014 February 21st 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page