Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 26th 2014 Contents B22
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Write about any one (1) of the following topics:-
1. Have you ever misplaced your exercise or note
book in which you had written down the work
that you were supposed to do for your
teacher? How did you feel about this, especially
when this work was due for the following
morning? How did you eventually solve this
problem? Write a story that begins with the
following lines:- "How could this happen to me?
I knew that I had to solve this problem before
2. Suppose: You are baby sitting your baby sister
or brother and you must get him/her to eat
something that is not his or her favorite food.
Write a story that begins with the following
lines: "This was new for me but somehow I had
to get (name the person) to eat his/ her food..."
3. Are you proud and happy to be growing up in
your present family? What makes it so special?
Write a letter to a close friend giving reasons
in some detail, about why you enjoy growing up
in your present family.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Circle one of the words in the brackets to
complete the following sentences.
(Won; Winning) the race for the first time was
quite exciting for Kevin.
1. The parrot had accidently (flew; flown) out of
2. Davey (ate; eaten) all the mangoes in the bag.
3. The early morning sun was (shone; shining) in
all its glory.
4. Brian had (tore; torn) his shirt while climbing
down the plum tree.
B. Write in the plural form of each given word to
complete the following sentences.
Different types of (radio) radios were being
sold in the store.
5. The (passerby) ____________ were urged to
move on by he police.
6. The farmer had a team of (ox) ____________
on his farm.
7. Fiona has to take two (tablespoonful)
____________ of cough syrup each day.
8. The hikers were using some (flambeau)
____________ to look inside the caves.
C. Change the form of the word on the left to
complete each of the following sentences.
I am fearful that he may not arrive
in time. (Adjective)
9. moist The sun had dried up all the
_______________ from the grass.
10. custom It was ______________ for Ann to
drink only water with her meals.
As Jeffrey continued working in the
burning sun, the sweat _________ed
freely from his brow.
The _____________ to Tobago was
departing in half an hour's time.
D. Put in a suitable word to replace each under-
lined word or phrase in the following sen-
Andre (He) kicked the ball (it) into the net.
13. Candice and I (
) will visit our cousins
(_________) next week.
14. Mrs. Lewis (
) sent a letter to her
favourite brother (
15. The visitors (
) had driven to Charlot-
) in the afternoon.
16. Our parents (
) bought Brian (
a shiny red bicycle for his twelfth birthday.
E. Rewrite each of the following sentences in its
(S1) You should always drive, to prevent an
accident, on the left side of the road.
(S2) To prevent an accident, you should always
drive on the left side of the road.
17. The postman delivered the letters in the mail
boxes which he had just collected.
18. We only had arrived on time to practise for the
19. You should exercise regularly to be fit and also
eat healthy foods.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline the
error, then write only the correction in the
If she did not fallen on the grass, she would
have won the race. (had)
20. Selwyn loaned his friend some money to buy
an ice cream. (_____________)
21. The hikers had used up almost all their water
during their long journey. (_____________)
22. Most persons did not agree with the plan to
move the car park. (_____________)
As exam time gets
closer, don't be shy about
making healthier food and
• Ask for fruit instead
of fries or chips.
• Drink non-fat or low fat milk or
water instead of whole milk.
• Choose water, milk or 100%
fruit juice instead of carbon-
• Order prepared foods that are
steamed, broiled, grilled,
Eat Healthily! poached, or roasted- NOT fried.
• Order salads with 'lite' or
non-fat dressing instead of
• Minimize the use of
gravy, sauces and dress-
ings; have them served
on the side.
• Avoid ordering large
portions just because
they are a deal.
Links Archive February 25th 2014 February 27th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page