Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 2nd 2014 Contents A5
March 2, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
In the height of the Carnival sea-
son, thieves broke into the Sangre
Grande branch of Republic Bank yes-
terday, carting away an undisclosed
sum of money.
The bank's general manager, group
marketing and communications,
Anna-Maria Garcia-Brooks, in a tele-
phone interview yesterday, confirmed
the theft took place in the wee hours
of the morning.
The bandits, Garcia-Brooks said,
gained entry at the back of the bank
and stole the money from the vault.
"The perpetrators, as far as I am
aware have not yet been apprehend-
ed," she added. "They did get away
with a quantity of cash, but I can't
confirm the amount at this time. We
are hopeful the police apprehend
Garcia-Brooks said the bank's secu-
rity staff have been working with the
police, who are investigating and had
been watching footage from the bank's
security cameras to identify the cul-
She explained that it was not normal
practice to have security officers sta-
tioned at any bank after working hours.
"I don't think any of the banks do
that. You don't have 24-hour secu-
Asked if this was the first time this
branch had been targeted, Garcia-
Brooks said, "It's the first time in recent
memory. We have not had something
like this in many, many years."
Break-in at Grande Republic Bank
...Thieves escape with an undisclosed sum of money
Fire gutted the eastern wing of the Charlieville
Presbyterian School yesterday. Fire officers on the
scene said the blaze started around 1pm, and by
the time fire appliances arrived, the building, which
had housed 90 students from the standards three,
four and five classes had been totally destroyed.
Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh, who
arrived shortly after, said arrangements had been
made with the Anjuman Sunnat ul-Jamaat (ASJA)
to use the auditorium of the nearby ASJA Girls Col-
lege temporarily to house the students who were
He said he had also spoken with the principal,
who had assured that SEA exam material for the
Standards 4 and 5 classes was not damaged.
Gopeesingh said as soon as the fire services gave
the go-ahead, the structure would be demolished
and a new one put up.
Chaguanas mayor Gopaul Boodhan and Chaguanas
West MP Jack Warner also visited. Boodhan pledged
the support of the borough corporation.
Fire guts Charlieville Presbyterian School
Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh, right,
Chaguanas Mayor Gopaul Boodhan and councillor
Faaiq Mohammed console Jonathan Koo, whose
classroom was gutted in the blaze at the eastern
wing of the Charlieville Presbyterian School
yesterday. PHOTO: VINDRA GOPAUL-BOODAN
3 more killings push
murder toll to 84
Three men are now dead after
three separate shooting incidents
beginning Friday night that took
place in Carenage, Valencia and
Point Cumana, pushing the murder
toll to 84.
In the first murder, around 7.15 on
Friday night Clinton "Mooney" John,
25, was shot dead outside his girl-
friend's home at Benedictine Street,
Carenage. A gunman walked up to
John and fired, police said. After John
began running the gunman chased
him, firing repeatedly until John col-
lapsed. He died on the scene. Police
say his killing was gang-related.
In the second killing, 26-year-old
Keron Sampson died at the Sangre
Grande District Hospital after he was
shot near his Bertrand Trace, Valencia
home on Friday night. Sampson and
his cousin went to a Chinese restau-
rant near his home around 9.50 pm
and while there they were
approached by a man who opened
fire on them, hitting Sampson twice
in the left shoulder.
After being shot Sampson ran
home and collapsed in his living
room, where he was picked up and
taken to hospital, where he later died.
The killer escaped in a waiting car.
Police said they have no motive for
And yesterday an unidentified man
was discovered dead at Gardier
Street, Point Cumana, around 4.45
am. Police said the man, who was
not from the area, was wearing a
grey pants, white T-shirt and a black
Residents heard gunshots and
found the man's body lying in the
road. Police are yet to determine a
motive but believed he was lured to
A pregnant Santo Domingo
national fell ill in the San Fer-
nando Magistrates Court and was
taken to hospital on Friday.
She was among 69 Santo
Domingo women on prostitution
charges and was waiting for her
matter to be heard.
When the matter was called
Sixth Court Magistrate Lisa Ram-
sumair-Hinds said she had been
taken to hospital by ambulance.
The magistrate issued warrants
for three of the women who were
absent without an explanation.
Another woman sent a letter to
the court, written in Spanish,
explaining that she was scheduled
for surgery at a health facility in
The women complained about
how long the case was taking to
get off the ground.
"I am ready to go back home.
It's been a whole year," said inter-
preter Luz Maria Tapais-de-Copi-
lah, translating what one of the
women had said in Spanish.
Another woman said five
women have already been set free.
Telling them to be patient, the
magistrate explained that another
woman charged with them is cur-
rently on trial in the Fourth Court.
Depending on the outcome of
that case, she said, the prosecution
will decide how to proceed with
the other 69.
She said, "You all pleaded not
guilty, so that means everyone has
to face a trial. There are 69 charges.
To do 69 trials it takes several
years. You just have to be patient."
The accused were among 75
women charged with soliciting
passersby for the purpose of pros-
titution. They were arrested at
Classic Seamen Hotel in Vistabella
on March 3, 2013. All pleaded not
guilty and were granted own bail.
The matter was adjourned to
69 Santo Domingo
women appear in court
Links Archive March 1st 2014 March 3rd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page