Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 5th 2014 Contents Continued on page 15
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Imagine:- Suppose you were the big brother
or big sister in your family, do you think that it
would make any difference to you? Write a
story that begins with the following line: -
Being a big brother / sister in my family is
certainly a most challenging duty ...."
2. Write a story that ends with the following
line: - "...Indeed, this had been one surprise
that I did not enjoy."
3. Sometimes, we might feel that we have been
treated unfairly by our friends, our parents or
by our teachers. Write an account, describ-
ing, in some detail, a situation in you felt that
you were unfairly treated by someone. State
as well what you think should have really
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Complete the following sentences by
writing in either the Past Tense or the Past
Participle of each given verb.
(S1) Janet had (spread) spread some
butter on her toast for breakfast.
(S2) Jeremy (fling) flung his bag in a corner
as soon as he entered the room.
1. The water had (freeze) ________________
after three hours.
2. Maria (bring) ________________ her pet
rabbit to school, last week.
3. The swimmers had (swim) _______________
a distance of one kilometre during the race.
4. The woodcutter (strike)______________ the
huge tree many times before it eventually
came crashing down.
B. Circle one (1) of the words in the brackets
to complete each sentence.
That is my good friend about (whom; who)
I spoke, yesterday.
5. Anyone (who; whom) is having some
difficulty with his/her work can see me
6. Last week, we met the man from (whom;
whose) store we had purchased the tools.
7. The passengers were waiting for the water
taxi (whose; which) usually arrived at eight
o'clock each morning
8. The captain presented the coach to (whom;
who) everyone was expected to give his
C. Complete the following sentences by
putting in a suitable form of each word on
Letting go of the rope in mid
air is always a challenging task
for a young circus performer.
The injured passenger
immediately after the accident.
My aunt was ___________her
porch when we visited her.
The mango tree had _________
many fruits, recently.
After resting on the bed for ten
minutes, the baby ___________
her eyes and fell asleep.
D. Underline the more suitable of the words in
brackets to complete each of the following
(Many; Any) of my friends live close to the
13. The police eventually discovered that it was
(he; him) who had really broken into our
14. (Everyone; Most) who has seen the movie
thought that it was quite good.
15. We can always depend on (she; her) to assist
16. (Every; Neither) of these answers is the
E. Use a conjunction and a relative pronoun to
join each set of the following sentences.
(Some changes may be necessary).
(S1) Some men were hunting in the forest. A
few young deer were feeding near the river.
The hunters saw the deer but decided not to
(S2) Although some men, who were hunting in
the forest saw some young deer feeding near
the river bed, they decided not to follow
17. (a) The children were playing many games in
the savanna (b) This happened during the
weekend. (c) The savanna is located behind
18. (a) Delia and Andrea were able to see a
most interesting movie. (b) Delia and Andrea
finished their chores early (c) The movie
presented some of the problems that were
faced by children .
19. (a) Every weekend, Harry assists his father in
his garage (b) Harry does not know enough
about these things. (c) The garage is situated
next to their house.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline
each error then write only the correction in
the brackets provided.
Suzette divided the chocolates between her
(among) -- reference to more than two persons.
20. My brother rathers vegetables to meat, any-
21. One is always expected to do his best during
this particular competition. (
22. No one is quite sure how the strike will effect
the country. (
Links Archive March 4th 2014 March 6th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page