Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 17th 2014 Contents A29
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
KINGSTON---A juror has been formally
charged with attempted bribery in a
high-profile murder trial of a top
Jamaican music star.
The Jamaica Constabulary Force said
yesterday it has charged 50-year-old
Livingston Cain with five counts of
attempting to pervert the course of
justice and conspiracy.
Cain was a juror in the murder trial of
dancehall reggae deejay Vybz Kartel.
The popular performer and three co-
defendants were convicted last week of
the 2011 slaying of Clive "Lizard"
Shortly after the 10--1 guilty verdict
was announced on Thursday, Cain was
arrested on suspicion of attempting to
bribe the jury foreman in an attempt to
free Kartel. The foreman immediately
reported the alleged bribery attempt to
authorities. The accused juror is
expected to appear before a
magistrate's court on Tuesday. (AP)
tigators have uncovered a series
of shortcomings in safety training,
emergency response and oversight
at a troubled New Mexico nuclear
waste dump where a truck caught
fire and 17 workers were recently
contaminated by a radiation leak.
A report released Friday on the
investigation into the first of back-
to-back accidents at the Waste Iso-
lation Pilot Plant near Carlsbad says
a February 5 truck blaze apparently
was ignited by a buildup of oil and
other combustible materials that
should have been regularly cleaned
off the vehicle.
The truck also was operating
without an automatic fire suppres-
sion system, the Department of
Energy report said.
And one of several mistakes
made in the chaotic moments that
followed switched the filtration
systems in the mine a half-mile
(800 metres) underground and sent
smoke billowing into areas where
workers expected to have "good
The report also identified prob-
lems with safety culture at the federal
government s only permanent repos-
itory for waste from the nation s
nuclear bomb-building facilities, and
it said a series of repeat deficiencies
identified by an independent over-
sight board had gone unresolved.
An investigation of a radiation
release nine days later that contam-
inated 17 workers and sent toxic par-
ticles into the air around the plant
is expected to be complete in a few
At this point, officials say they
are unsure if the fire and the radiation
release are related. The mine has
been shuttered since the February
14 release, but investigators hope to
be able to get below next week to
see what happened.
The accidents are the first major
incidents at the repository, which
began taking radioactive waste 15
Just hours before the report on
the truck fire was previewed at a
community meeting Thursday
evening, the contractor that runs
the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant
demoted the facility s president.
At the community meeting, the
DOE official who led the investigative
team, Ted Wyka, said the fire prob-
ably started about 30 minutes before
the driver saw the orange glow from
the engine compartment and tried
to put it out.
But the automatic fire-suppression
system that might have detected the
heat earlier was not active, Wyka
said, and the systems activated by
the driver sprayed didn t work.
Wyka praised the 86 workers who
were underground when the fire
started around 11 am on February 5
for their response. But he said a
number of systems failed.
For example, he said emergency
strobe lights were not activated for
five minutes, not all workers heard
the evacuation announcement and
workers had trouble using their
emergency air canisters.
One worker also switched the air
system from normal to filtration
mode, which sent smoke billowing
through the tunnels.
Six workers were treated for smoke
inhalation after the fire.
Wyka said the workers "did every-
thing they could" to notify colleagues
to get out, even before the evacuation
alarm sounded. "Some stayed behind
to make sure everyone got in the
elevator to get out." (AP)
Report: US nuke dump fire was preventable
Juror charged with attempted bribery in case of Vybz Kartel
NEW DELHI---Massive Indian navy
and air search operations for the miss-
ing Malaysian jetliner were suspended
yesterday until fresh search areas are
identified by Malaysia s government,
an official said.
Col Harmit Singh, spokesman for
India s tri-services command, said coast
guard ships have reverted to routine
surveillance in the Andaman Sea and
the Bay of Bengal.
"Air and sea operations for today
have been put on hold," Singh said.
There was no indication as of Sunday
evening when the search efforts would
resume. A government official said ear-
lier in the day that Indian and Malaysian
officials were scheduled to meet in
Kuala Lumpur later yesterday to refine
search coordinates. The official spoke
on condition of anonymity because he
was not authorided to talk to reporters.
The plane, which was carrying 239
people, disappeared March 8 on its way
to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.
The Indian navy and air force s coor-
dinated search for the last three days
has covered more than 250,000 square
kilometres (100,579 square miles) in
the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal
without any sighting of the Boeing 777.
"So far no sighting or detection has
been reported by the units deployed
for searches in various designated areas,"
India s Defence Ministry said in a state-
ment late Sunday.
"The Malaysian authorities have now
indicated that based on investigation,
the search operations have entered a
new phase and a strategy for further
searches is being formulated.
"Accordingly, search operations have
been suspended and all Indian assets
earmarked for search operations have
been placed on standby," the statement
Nearly a dozen Indian ships, patrol
vessels, surveillance aircraft and hel-
icopters have scoured the region. India
intensified the search on Saturday by
deploying two recently acquired P8i
long-range maritime patrol and one
C-130J Hercules aircraft. A short-range
maritime reconnaissance Dornier air-
craft was also deployed.
Vinod Patney, a retired air force offi-
cer, said it was unlikely---but not impos-
sible---for an aircraft to intrude a coun-
try s airspace undetected.
Officials said there was effective radar
coverage in the region, with a large
number of flights between Europe and
Southeast Asian using this route. Also,
India has tightened security in the area,
which is a strategic shipping lane for
oil tankers. (AP)
India's search for missing
Malaysian plane on hold
In this photo provided by the US Navy, crew members on board an aircraft P-8A Poseidon assist in search and
rescue operations for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Indian Ocean yesterday. Malaysian authorities on
Sunday examined a flight simulator that was confiscated from the home of one of the missing jetliner's
pilots. The Boeing 777 went missing less than an hour into a March 8, flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing as
it entered Vietnamese airspace. AP PHOTO
Links Archive March 16th 2014 March 18th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page