Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 18th 2014 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Former Housing Minister
Desmond Cartey was laid to rest
after a funeral service at the All
Saints Anglican Church, Marli
Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
Delivering the eulogy, Lygia
Moore described Cartey as "the
baby of the Cartey family" and
shared fond memories of him.
Cartey s daughter, Joanne Cartey,
also spoke lovingly of her father,
saying: "This is not goodbye. Surely
we will see you later in Heaven
Fr Steve West, who delivered the
sermon, described Cartey as a "very
quiet, very determined individual,"
and said Cartey could always be
counted on for good advice.
He said the words that Cartey
were well known for were taken
out of context, referring to Cartey s
controversial "all ah we tief" state-
ment and thanked God that Cartey
"was able to stand up in the face
of all the ridicule in his way."
Cartey died last week in hospital
where he was taken after suffering
chest pains. He was laid to rest at
the Lapeyrouse cemetery.
Over 10,000 people received the
Somali text messages last week that
claimed they would receive a car or
cash from the Central Bank of T&T.
Members of the public said they had
received several text messages over their
cellphones saying they had won
$50,000 and telling them to visit the
Central Bank for further information
and to receive the money.
Scores of people went to the Central
Bank, Port-of-Spain, only to be turned
Some of the messages said: "Winner
call now free and receive your new car
or it will be cancelled or transferred to
another winner"; "Urgent appeal, get
your car from the Director of Telemar-
keting of T&T" and "Central Bank of
T&T. You are invited to receive your
check of $50,000. Call and learn about
the place of receipt."
The phone numbers are ten digits
and have various area codes.
Many people visited the bank at
Independence Square and St Vincent
Street, Port-of-Spain, hoping the mes-
sages were genuine.
Telecommunications Services of T&T
manager, media relations and corporate
communications Graham Suite yester-
day again urged members of the public
to be wary and cautious of strangers
sending text messages to their phones.
"People have to be vigilant about
offers and calls and the messages they
receive," he said.
Suite said the messages came from
Somalia and the United Kingdom.
"Based on the investigations, the
messages were international and went
through designated centres which are
known. Our investigations traced the
messages passing through message cen-
tres in Somalia and more recently from
the United Kingdom."
But Suite said the messages were
changing their point of origin.
"We can t tell who are the specific
persons involved, just the trending of
the message and the content were sim-
ilar. That was how we recognised the
patterns on how it originated and we
blocked them from getting to citizens,"
Suite said TSTT continued to advise
members of the public to use their best
"Once you get a message like that
and you didn t participate in any pro-
motion and did not register, those are
red flags. It is not legitimate. As appeal-
ing as it sounds, anything like that
rarely happens," he said.
He said TSTT would continue to
monitor the messages.
Candidate for the post of PNM
youth officer Fitzgerald Hinds has
shot back at Pennelope Beckles-
Robinson, saying she misunderstands
Beckles-Robinson, who is contesting
the post of leader of the PNM, criticised
Hinds for agreeing to run for youth
officer, saying he was too old. Hinds
was chosen for the position by incum-
bent party leader Dr Keith Rowley.
Responding to Beckles-Robinson,
Hinds said: "I think that comment
betrays the lack of understanding of
the youth officer.
"You don t have to be a member of
the Youth League to be a youth officer.
It is a role where you have to guide and
mentor the young people of the country.
I don t have to run out on the field. I
have to guide and allow the youths to
benefit from my experience."
He said youths needed to understand
that their greatest asset was their poten-
tial and in doing so needed psycholog-
ical guidance from experienced peo-
ple.Saying he proposed to inspire and
encourage talent from the various offi-
cers of the party, Hinds added: "In that
regard, Mrs Beckles-Robinson could
join the youth league with her young
self and she might learn a thing or two
about prospects for future leadership
but not at this time."
Public relations officer Senator Faris
Al-Rawi also defended Hinds, saying
there was no age limit for the position
and that Hinds, who was very energetic
and knowledgeable, was in his 50s.
"Most people believe that being a
youth officer has to do with being a
young person, but on the contrary,
according to the rules it is a position
of mentoring, of nurturing... one has
to stand as mentor to the youths," Al-
Saying he considered Hinds the best
candidate for the job, Al-Rawi added:
"He is also an inspiration and the father
of three successful children."
Calling Beckles-Robinson s com-
ments "nonsensical and folly," Al-Rawi
said if that was her understanding of
a youth officer then she misunderstood
"If that is the point she is attempting
to make and we accept that argument
and technique, then why put teachers
"Should the youths be in charge then
of teaching?" Al-Rawi asked.
He said in the PNM elders were
respected and looked upon as leaders.
Age not a factor for
Cartey laid to rest
Former Minister of Works under the PNM administration Hugh Francis, left, along with other mourners view
the body of former cabinet colleague Desmond Cartey during the viewing of his body at the All Saint's
Anglican Church, Marli Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Links Archive March 17th 2014 March 19th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page