Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 9th 2014 Contents A23
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
The assignment editor of the
Venezuelan TV news network
Globovision has been kid-
napped, according to her father.
Nairobi Pinto was seized by
two masked gunmen at her
home in the capital Caracas, her
father Luis said.
He asked the kidnappers to
"see sense" and release his
Kidnappings, especially for
ransom, are not uncommon in
Venezuela, and a number of
diplomats, as well as business-
men and athletes, have been
abducted over the past years.
While the majority of those
kidnapped for ransom are
released hours or days after they
were taken, some kidnap victims
have been killed or died from
injuries sustained during their
Venezuelan Globovision editor Nairobi Pinto kidnapped
HOUSTON---Jurors are expected to soon get the
case of a Houston woman accused of stabbing to
death her Swedish-born boyfriend with a 5½-inch
Ana Trujillo is accused of striking 59-year-old Alf
Stefan Andersson at least 25 times in the face with
her shoe during an argument in June at his Houston
condominium. Her attorneys say she was defending
herself from an attack by Andersson.
Defence attorneys rested their case Monday. One
of their last witnesses, a martial arts expert, helped
to demonstrate how defence attorneys contend Trujillo
Mexico-born Trujillo faces up to life in prison if
she is convicted of murder. (AP)
Stiletto heel stabbing
trial to go to jury
A coalition of Venezuelan opposition parties says
it is willing to enter into talks with the government
as long as certain conditions are met.
The meeting was proposed by foreign ministers
of the Unasur regional group to put an end to two
months of anti-government protests.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro had earlier
agreed to take part.
It is not yet clear though whether his government
will agree to the terms demanded by the opposi-
In a letter addressed to the Unasur delegation, the
umbrella opposition group Table for Democratic
Unity (MUD) said it was "willing to hold a true dia-
logue, with a clear agenda, equal conditions (for both
sides) and the first meeting of which will be trans-
mitted live on national radio and television channels."
Opposition set terms
for talks with Maduro
PERTH---Search crews in the Indian Ocean failed
to pick up more of the faint underwater sounds that
may have been from the missing Malaysian jetliner s
black boxes whose batteries are at the end of their
The signals first heard late Saturday and early Sunday
had sparked hopes of a breakthrough in the search
for Flight 370, but listening equipment on the Ocean
Shield ship has picked up no trace of the sounds since
Finding the sound again is crucial to narrowing the
search area so a submarine can be deployed to chart
a potential debris field on the seafloor. If the
autonomous sub was used now with the sparse data
collected so far, covering all the potential places from
which the pings might have come would take many
days."It s literally crawling at the bottom of the ocean
so it s going to take a long, long time," searchers said.
Ship hunts for more
'pings' in jet search
Nato has warned Russia that further intervention
in Ukraine would be a "historic mistake" with grave
Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said
Moscow must pull back troops it has massed on the
Yesterday, Ukraine regained control of one of the
government buildings occupied by pro-Russian
activists in the east of the country.
Moscow has said that using force to end the protests
could lead to civil war.
"If Russia were to intervene further in Ukraine, it
would be an historic mistake. It would have grave
consequences for our relationship with Russia and
it would further isolate Russia internationally."
He added: "We call on Russia to pull back the tens
of thousands of troops it has massed on Ukraine s
borders, engage in a genuine dialogue with the Ukrain-
ian authorities and respect its international com-
A Pro-Russian activist shouts during a rally in front
of the regional administration building in Donetsk,
Ukraine, yesterday, as demonstrators dug in for their
third day at the 11-storey regional administration
headquarters. AP PHOTO
Nato warns Russia
WASHINGTON---The Navy warship USS Donald
Cook is scheduled to enter the Black Sea no later
than tomorrow as part of the latest US military
effort to demonstrate support for Eastern European
allies concerned about Russia s troop buildup along
its border with Ukraine.
The movement of the guided missile destroyer
was confirmed to CNN by two US military officials
who declined to be identified because a formal
announcement has not been made. The ship will
conduct exercises and port visits while in the Black
Sea. The guided missile destroyer USS Truxtun took
part in scheduled exercises in the Black Sea last
month and departed March 21.
The movement of the Navy warship into the Black
Sea comes ahead of an April 15 meeting of top NATO
political representatives to discuss and potentially
approve a series of recommendations for additional
military measures, including shortening the "response
time" of NATO forces if there were a crisis. (CNN)
US Navy ship to arrive in
Black Sea by tomorrow
The number of people believed to
have been killed by the Ebola virus
in Guinea has passed 100, the UN
World Health Organisation says.
It was "one of the most challenging
Ebola outbreaks we have ever dealt
with" and could take another four
months to contain, the WHO said.
The virus had now killed 101 people
in Guinea and ten in Liberia, it said.
Ebola is spread by close contact
and kills between 25 per cent and 90
per cent of its victims.
Many West African states have
porous borders, and people travel fre-
quently between countries.
Southern Guinea is at the epicentre
of the outbreak, with the first case
reported last month.
The geographical spread of the out-
break is continuing to make it par-
ticularly challenging to contain.
"We fully expect to be engaged in
this outbreak for the next two to three
to four months before we are com-
fortable that we are through it," Keija
Fukuda, WHO s assistant director-
general, said at a news briefing in
Geneva, Reuters news agency reports.
The WHO said 157 suspected cases
had been recorded in Guinea, includ-
ing 20 in the capital, Conakry.
Sixty-seven of the cases have been
confirmed as Ebola, it added.
In neighbouring Liberia, 21 cases
had been reported, with five confirmed
as Ebola, WHO said.
Last week, Mali said it was on high
alert because of fears of an outbreak
of Ebola and it would tighten border
Saudi Arabia has suspended visas
for Muslim pilgrims from Guinea and
Liberia, in a sign of the growing unease
about the outbreak.
This is the first known outbreak in
Guinea---most recent cases have been
thousands of miles away in the Dem-
ocratic Republic of Congo and Ugan-
da.There is no known cure or vaccine
The tropical virus leads to haem-
orrhagic fever, causing muscle pain,
weakness, vomiting, diarrhoea and,
in severe cases, organ failure and
Health workers teach people about the Ebola virus and how to prevent
infection, in Conakry, Guinea, last Monday. Health authorities in Guinea are
facing an "unprecedented epidemic" of Ebola, the international aid group
Doctors Without Borders warned Monday. AP PHOTO
Links Archive April 8th 2014 April 10th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page