Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 30th 2014 Contents SECTION II
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. Complete EACH of the following sentences
with a WORD that is SIMILAR in meaning to
those in the brackets after each sentence.
His actions were very impolite. (not kind)
23. Parents should always __________________
movies before their children watch them. (see
24. The passengers were asked to ______________
the aeroplane at gate fourteen. (get off)
25. The harsh weather added to the campers'
___________________. (lack of ease)
B. Add an appropriate PREFIX to each ROOT
WORD to form a new word OPPOSITE in
meaning to it.
26. POSSIBLE __________________
27 HONEST __________________
C. Underline the word from the brackets which
correctly completes EACH of the following
Kathy wrote a letter (while, wile) Luanne
spoke on the telephone.
28. The macaws roosted on the tallest palm
(trees, threes) in the Nariva Swamp.
29. The driver engaged the school-bus' (brakes,
breaks) when he began descending the steep
30. Long ago women who were caught practicing
witchcraft were tied to wooden (steaks,
stakes) and burnt to death.
D. Put in the missing COMMAS to correctly
complete EACH of the following sentences.
You need not rewrite the sentences.
31. Before we watched television
we washed the dishes watered
the plants and fed the dogs.
32. Our new pet dog has a coat of
white fur a brown tail and
33. I bought these books
magazines and stationeries
at the bookstore on the
34. Mrs.Parks the town's librarian
lives on my street.
35. Sonya as well as her brother
has been invited to Sitas
SECTION III - COMPREHENSION
Read the following poem very carefully 2-3 times
and then answer the questions that follow:
36. To what does the poet compares the move-
ment of the boat?
37. According to information given in the poem,
what helps the boat to move on the water?
38. Based on information given in the poem, what
would the "boat" most likely be afraid?
39. Who do you think is most likely saying this
40. Do you think this event of a person sailing a
boat is actually taking place? Give a reason for
Read the following passage very carefully 2-3
times and then answer the questions that follow.
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 www.guardian.co.ttGuardian
Have you ever wondered how everything in nature
seems to operate so smoothly without any problems
like we (man) have?
Biologists, people who study living things, say that
everything in nature is connected in one way or another.
Oh, see my little boat,
How prettily it glides;
Like a bird it seems to float,
Press'd forward by the tides-
By the tides.
The sky is shining brightly,
The fishes dart below,
While my little boat so lightly
Leaps onwards as I row-
As I row.
I would like to be a boat,
And live upon the sea;
So merrily I'd float,
With nought to trouble me-
But should a storm come near,
And fill me with alarms,
I would row to mother, dear-
My boat should be her arms-
Continued on next page
• Make sure your child
eats breakfast. Break-
fast provides children
with the energy they
need to listen and
learn in school.
• Set a regular time for
family meals and eat together
as a family for at least one
meal a day.
• Serve water, low-fat milk
or 100% fruit juice more often
Mealtime tips: than sugar-sweet-
ened sodas and
• Introduce new
foods, vegetables and
fruits at mealtime.
• Offer fresh
fruit for dessert.
Links Archive April 29th 2014 May 1st 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page