Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 14th 2014 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
for 13th MAY, 2014
A 17-month-old baby boy
is believed to have suffocated
to death after his relative for-
got him in his locked car for
over eight hours yesterday.
The child was identified as
The man, 53, who is an elec-
trician employed with
Petrotrin, was in police custody
last night assisting investigators
who were trying to piece
together the events that led up
to the tragic incident.
Employees of Petrotrin,
Penal, where the man is
employed, were first alerted
that something was wrong
when they heard him scream-
ing loudly, "Oh God, oh God"
shortly after 4 pm yesterday
in the Petrotrin carpark.
When they ran to see what
was going on they found the
man in tears, having discovered
the baby boy dead in the back
seat of his car.
The police and an ambu-
lance were called in. However,
when medical officials checked
the baby he was unresponsive.
A DMO later pronounced him
dead at the scene.
According to the police
reports, the man picked up the
child on his way to work just
before 7 am yesterday. He was
supposed to drop the child off
at the babysitter.
The man reportedly
strapped the child in a car
seat in the back seat and set
off to drop him at the baby
sitter before going on to
Police believe the child fell
asleep in the back seat and
the man forgot to drop him
at the baby sitter, and instead
went straight to work where
he locked up his vehicle and
headed to the worksite.
The man then reportedly
worked all day still unaware
that he had locked the child
in the car. It was only after 4
pm when he finished work and
returned to the car that he
realised the child was still in
The Met Office recorded
temperatures at a maximum
34 degrees celsius yesterday.
Police believe the temper-
atures may have contributed
to the child s death.
dies in hot car
Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley wants to
know if the police intend to arrest anyone else
who submitted false qualifications to secure
jobs in the public sector. He said there was sev-
eral other people who had obtained positions
under the current Government with false papers
and they too must be brought before the courts.
Rowley raised the question during his Team
Rowley campaign meeting at Plaza Siparia on
Monday night, in preparation for Sunday s internal
election. (See Page A13)
Hours before Rowley s comment, former Air-
ports Authority general manager Dayanand Birju
had appeared before a Port-of-Spain magistrate
charged with uttering a forged document claiming
he had a BSc degree in Computer Sciences from
the University of Massachusetts, knowing it to
be false with intent to defraud.
Addressing his supporters on the matter, Rowley
said: "I want to find out if only one person going
to face the law on the false certificate matter."
He told supporters while Birju had appeared
in court, the first name that might come to mind
when they think about false certificates might
be Reshmi Ramnarine. However, he said the infor-
mation he had was that Ramnarine did not submit
"Reshmi Ramnarine never submitted that to
the Government. It was the Government that
submitted the qualifications for Reshmi Ram-
narine," he said.
Ramnarine resigned as director of the Security
Intelligence Agency (SIA) on January 21, 2011, a
week after her appointment following questions
about her qualifications.
The appointment of the then 31-year-old Ram-
narine to the senior security post had been ques-
tioned after she was elevated over more qualified
individuals. In justifying her selection, the Gov-
ernment had indicated she possessed a BSc in
Information Technology from UWI, but the insti-
tution subsequently revealed she was not a grad-
This was one of the several scenarios which
caused public controversy and which Rowley
highlighted on Monday as he hit back at his
detractors who have been saying he is unfit to
be Prime Minister.
Rowley: Charge all
with false papers
One of the men believed to have
murdered Biche gardener Devanand
Bholai in front of his wife on March
16 was yesterday killed in a shootout
with Central Division police.
A police officer was also shot in his
chest during the shootout, but sus-
tained no major injuries because he
had on his bulletproof vest.
Antonio Swan, who was wanted in
connection with Bholai s murder, was
shot dead by police near Concerned
Citizens Street, California.
On the night of March 16, three
men entered the family s house in
Cushe Village, Biche, by smashing a
window and breaking down a back
door while Bholai and his wife were
They tied up the couple and gagged
them while they stole a laptop com-
puter, television, jewelry and cash.
They demanded more money and
when Bholai refused to hand it over,
he was shot in the head while his wife,
Khemragee Leela Jaikaran, looked on.
Police said they eventually made
off with $30,000 in cash in a waiting
At about 4.30 pm yesterday, a party
of officers from the Major Crime Unit,
Chaguanas Tactical Unit and the
Couva CID received information that
the men wanted for Bholai s murder
was seen in California.
When officers arrived at the scene
they were confronted by two men
who ran into the bushes firing at them.
The officers returned fire and Swan
was shot. He was taken to the Couva
District Health Facility where he was
pronounced dead on arrival.
The officer who was shot was also
taken to the hospital where he received
Head of the Central Division Senior
Supt Johnny Abraham and a party of
officers, including Sgt Andy
Mohammed, head of the Couva CID,
and Sgt Linus Benjamin, head of the
Major Crime Unit, visited the scene.
man risks his
life to remove
lightposts by a
truck had just
at a nearby
Links Archive May 13th 2014 May 15th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page