Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 14th 2014 Contents B18
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Do any one (1) of the following:-
1. As you prepare to sit your SEA Examination
and later on to await the results, is there one
most important thing about your class that
you will miss very much? Write a letter to a
close friend that begins with the following
words: "I will certainly miss (mention the
name of that thing) when I leave this class..."
2. Suppose: You and your parent or guardian are
shopping in a store when, suddenly, you hear
the cries " Fire! Fire!" from somewhere else in-
side the store. What did you do and what
eventually happened? Write a story that
ends with the following line: ...and so after all
the excitement, we were happy that every-
thing turned out well."
3. Your parents/guardians have argued that over
texting on your cell phone can prevent per-
sons from meeting and having a really good
conversation with others. Do you believe that
this is so? Write a letter to your parents/
guardians, saying why you agree or disagree,
in some detail, with their opinion about tex-
ting on one's cell phone.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Choose one (1) of the answers in the brack-
ets to complete each of the following sen-
Jason is one of the three boys who (is; are)
playing cricket n the yard.
1. Neither the plums nor the bunch of bananas
(is; are) ripe.
2. There, high up in the tree, (was; were) the
hive of bees.
3. A few areas in Trinidad (continue; continues)
to be flooded from time to time.
4. The deer along with her young ones (was;
were) asleep in their pen.
B. Write in the blanks, the singular form of
each word in brackets to complete the fol-
There was a large (trout) trout in he net.
5. James received a (pianos) _____________ for
6. Jeremy pressed the (switches) ____________
to turn on the garage lights.
7. Jasmine used a pair of sharp (scissors)
____________ to cut the cloth.
8. The farmer uses a strong (oxen) ___________
to transport his produce.
C. Insert a suitable word to replace each un-
derlined part in the following sentences.
(S1 ) Anne and I (We) just love to play
volleyball. (Subject Pronoun)
(S2) We met (our uncle) him at the
grocery, yesterday. (Object Pronoun)
9. Each day, Dennis feeds (his four dogs)
_____________ at five o'clock.
10. We will visit (La Brea) ____________ during
the week end
11. (Our elderly aunt) _____________ lives in the
12. (All our neighbours) ______________ are very
kind to us.
D. Write 'Trans' (Transitive) or 'Intrans' (In-
transitive) to describe each of the under-
(S1 ) Mr. Roberts drove his car over the bump
in the road. (Trans)
(S2) Many people were present at the final
13. The team had practiced for many hours.
14. The seamstress cut the piece of cloth before
sewing it. (___________)
15. Our school choir beautifully sang three songs
at the Graduation function. (___________)
16. Rover romped playfully at his master's side.
E. Fill in the blank in each sentence with one
(1) of the following phrases.
contented with ; inquire into ; faint from ;
tired of ; hindered from
Miss Charles assured Billy that she would
inquire into the theft of his money.
17. If you do not drink enough water, you can
easily _____________ thirst.
18. Ken was ______________ making any further
effort on account of unfair criticisms.
19. Delia is never greedy, She is usually
______________ whatever she has.
F. The following sentences each contain an
error. Read each sentence well, underline
the error then rewrite only the correction.
The prisoner only received a sentence of one
year. (a sentence of only one year)
20. There were less spectators at the match, this
20. "Please enter," said the host "And have a
22. Each one of the girls will receive their award
during the Graduation ceremony.
As exam time gets
closer, don't be shy about
making healthier food and
• Ask for fruit instead
of fries or chips.
• Drink non-fat or low fat milk or
water instead of whole milk.
• Choose water, milk or 100%
fruit juice instead of carbon-
• Order prepared foods that are
steamed, broiled, grilled,
Eat Healthily! poached, or roasted- NOT fried.
• Order salads with 'lite' or
non-fat dressing instead of
• Minimize the use of
gravy, sauces and dress-
ings; have them served
on the side.
• Avoid ordering large
portions just because
they are a deal.
Links Archive May 13th 2014 May 15th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page