Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 15th 2014 Contents SASCHA WILSON
Defence attorneys representing
five men charged with the 2009
murder of a retired police officer
yesterday asked for them to be dis-
charged because of the state s delay
in prosecuting the matter.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark
Wellington did not grant the request
but instructed the State to give an
update on the status of the matter at
the next hearing.
Kerron Trotman, Marlon de Coteau,
Junior Cuffy, Arnold Phillips and Elijah
Benjamin are charged with the August
10, 2009 murder of 64-year-old Har-
The retired police sergeant was
found murdered at his home at Cot-
tage Road, St John's Village, San Fer-
When the matter was called in the
San Fernando First Court yesterday,
the attorneys complained their clients
have been in prison for five years.
State attorney Stacy Lallo-Chung,
who was in court in another matter,
gave an assurance to find out what
was happening with the matter.
She said state attorney Trevor Jones
last appeared in the matter but he
was engaged in a matter in the High
Court and she did not know whether
the case was assigned to anyone else.
Trotman's attorney Dexter Bailey
said the State had provided the
defence with 17 statements but there
were other statements still outstand-
He said the matter had been set for
trial several times but on each occasion
the State was not ready.
He also complained that the police
complainant had not been attending
court even on the days the matter
was set for trial.
Bailey suggested that the men be
discharged and when the State was
ready to proceed they could be re-
arrested and charges be relaid.
De Coteau's attorney, Jason Jackson,
who echoed similar concerns said the
accused were suffering.
Ainsley Lucky also asked
for his client to be dis-
charged. Bailey said the
case has been passing
from one state attorney
to another and the mat-
ter has gotten nowhere.
The magistrate also
pointed out that the
court documents in the
matter were disintegrat-
ing and were being held
together by adhesive
adjourned the matter to
Thursday, May 15, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
- VISUAL (Spectacles
& Contact Lens)
Young boys and girls
who seek to promote
peace and harmony
should strive to seek
and pursue Truth.
OUTDOOR FURNITURE COLLECTION
25 MUCURAPO ROAD, ST JAMES. TEL: 622-1996
110 HIGH STREET, SAN FERNANDO. TEL: 653-3202
COR. FREDERICK & HART STREETS, P.O.S. TEL: 627-4278
Like us on
A student from Laventille Girls' Government School responds to a question posed by child psychologist
Anna Maria Mora at the Chaguaramas Development Authority, Kids Talk 2013, at the Chaguaramas Hotel
and Convention Centre yesterday. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
After waiting since 2009 for prosecutor...
Move to free five
One of the two men injured dur-
ing a robbery at a San Fernando
business place last Wednesday was
denied bail on nine charges arising
out of the incident.
Matthew Bruce, 25, of Tarouba
Road, Marabella, appeared before
San Fernando Deputy Chief Mag-
istrate Mark Wellington.
The charges stemmed from an
armed robbery at an import/export
business place at Hobson Street,
San Fernando, in which three people
As the men were trying to escape
the owner Winston Wei Lung
Chung shot them with his licenced
gun. The other man was shot dead.
The charges against Bruce includ-
ed four arms and ammunition
charges, discharging a gun within
40 yards of Hobson Street, a public
road, robbing Chung of $20,000
and a $200 cordless phone, robbing
Nazareen Panday of an $800 cell-
phone and Kelly Bakarali of a $3,000
phone and shooting at Chung.
He was not called upon to plead
to the charges which were filed
The charging officer, PC Heeralal,
said a shotgun was recovered on
the crime scene.
Asking for bail, Bruce's attorney
Shaun Teekasingh said Bruce had
one previous conviction but two
pending charges at the Chaguanas
Magistrates Court for possession of
ammunition and a gun.
He also complained his client was
injured in his neck and genitals and
the police refused to take him for
further medical treatment.
Prosecutor Cleyon Seedan pro-
duced Bruce's criminal record which
confirmed the previous matters. He
said Bruce was taken for medical
Teekasingh agreed that he had
initially received medical treatment.
However, he said Bruce's injuries
were now infected.
The magistrate refused bail, say-
ing Bruce allegedly committed these
offences while he was on bail for
similar offences. He advised him of
his right to apply to a judge in
chambers for bail.
The matter was adjourned to June
No bail for alleged robber shot by businessman
Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington
Links Archive May 14th 2014 May 16th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page