Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 23rd 2014 Contents A64
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, May 23, 2014
MONTEVIDEO---Uruguay striker Luis
Suarez had arthroscopic surgery on
his left knee yesterday but is expected
to recover in time for the World Cup.
The mother of the 27-year-old Liv-
erpool striker told The Associated
Press that Suarez had successful sur-
gery to repair cartilage damage.
"The surgery is over and thank God
everything went well. What Luis had
wasn t as serious as we thought,"
Suarez s mother, Sandra Diaz, told the
AP shortly after speaking to him on
She said he remains in the hospital
but is in good spirits.
"He s very well. He s going to play
the World Cup," said Diaz, who was
taking care of the striker s children
while he underwent surgery.
The Uruguayan football association
released a statement later saying
Suarez began feeling an uncomfortable
pain in his left knee during his last
Premier League match and he felt
sharp pain again when he was training
with the national team on Wednesday.
He underwent a magnetic resonance
scan that confirmed cartilage injury.
"This morning he underwent an
arthroscopy to repair his meniscus ...
No other injuries were found in his
knee," the football association said.
"His participation in the World Cup
in Brazil is not ruled out."
The surgery was carried out at the
Medica Uruguaya hospital in Monte-
"Take it easy because I m going to
make it (to the cup) and will work
very hard these days to be at 100 per
cent and help out my teammates,"
Suarez later told local El Pais news-
According to Suarez s sister, the
striker is expected to be out for 2-3
weeks and could be released from the
hospital later Monday. Uruguay plays
its first match at the World Cup
against Costa Rica on June 14. The
team will then face England on June
19 and Italy on June 24.
"The problem is that these days he
won t be able to play, and will only
be able to do physiotherapy," Giovanna
Suarez trained with his teammates
on Wednesday morning but he was
absent from the field in the afternoon.
The Uruguayan football association
said at the time that he had been
working out at the gym. (AP)
SAO PAULO---Forced to find alterna-
tive grounds before Fifa took over their
World Cup stadiums, some Brazilian
clubs have arranged to leave town and
even their home state to host Brazilian
Beginning this week, clubs are not
allowed to play at the 12 stadiums that
will be used during the World Cup, nor
at the 24 venues that will be used for
Nearly 30 league matches had to alter
their venues for the last four rounds
before the World Cup break. Of the 20
clubs in the first division, 14 are having
to relinquish home-field advantage.
The only World Cup stadium holding
a league match before the tournament
is the Itaquerao, but only because FIFA
requested another test event at the trou-
bled Sao Paulo venue that will host the
Brazil-Croatia opener on June 12.
The league will stop on June 1.
"This break is tough for us," Sao Paulo
coach Muricy Ramalho said. "We have
to practice, we can t just stop. This is
a difficult year for all the clubs. The year
will only start after the World Cup."
Corinthians is playing at a smaller
stadium in Sao Paulo, and Palmeiras
will move its matches to interior cities
within the state. Flamengo is hosting
some of its matches in a city 180 kilo-
metres (110 miles) from Rio de Janeiro,
while Bahia is travelling outside of its
home state to play in Sao Paulo.
Giuseppe Rossi is showing good
signs of fitness as he bids to earn
a place in Cesare Prandelli s
World Cup squad.
Rossi has recently returned
from a four-month injury layoff,
but the United States-born for-
ward was included in Prandelli s
provisional 30-man list.
Italy team physician Enric
Castellacci says, "Rossi is in pretty
good shape physically, he has
done everything the other players
have done so far ... from a medical
point of view, Rossi is doing well."
Italian media says it is a choice
between either Antonio Cassano
or Rossi, although Prandelli has
not ruled out taking both forwards
to Brazil. Castellacci adds, "Cas-
sano is very motivated and in
great shape, he is training very
well with great effort." (AP)
ZURICH---FIFA has told fans
buying World Cup tickets from
unauthorised sellers that they
could be barred from stadiums.
Three weeks from the opening
match, FIFA said yesterday that
it "cancels tickets discovered as
illegally sold or re-sold with the
bearers risking not being per-
FIFA marketing director Thier-
ry Weil said some fans have
already been affected.
"Over the last few weeks we
have unfortunately seen more
and more people leaving our
ticket centres disappointed as
they failed to collect their tickets
purchased through unofficial
Web sites," Weil said in a state-
FIFA said its Web site is the
"only legitimate source" for tick-
ets, including a re-sale section
for buyers unable to attend.
Football s governing body did
not identify "companies, Web
sites and individuals" it said was
"offering tickets to unsuspecting
fans through unauthorised resells
at exorbitant prices."
The Stubhub Web site was
offering tickets made available
by buyers priced from $2,300 for
the Brazil-Croatia game on June
12 in Sao Paulo. Viagogo s cheap-
est offer was for $1,149.
FIFA said it is a crime in Brazil
"to sell or supply a ticket for
more than the face price," and
it has provided information to
"The efforts are not limited to
Brazil but applied on an inter-
national scale in engagement
with local authorities in relevant
jurisdictions and in particular in
close collaboration with con-
sumer protection authorities,
which have far-reaching and effi-
cient legal resources," Fifa said.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez reacts after
falling during a 2014 World Cup
qualifying soccer match against
Ecuador in Quito, Ecuador. AP PHOTO
before World Cup
Italy's Rossi proving his fitness for WCup
Fifa warns fans about re-sold tickets
Tournament forces Brazil
clubs to find new homes
Links Archive May 22nd 2014 May 24th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page