Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 28th 2014 Contents A29
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
DONETSK---A battle between pro-Russia separatists and
government forces at Donetsk airport in eastern Ukraine
has claimed 40 lives, authorities said yesterday, in what is
the deadliest outbreak of violence yet in the flashpoint city.
An additional 31 people have been injured, including four
civilians, according to the web site of the Donetsk mayor,
The conflict at Donetsk International Airport broke out
only hours after newly elected Ukrainian President Petro
Poroshenko said he d potentially like to negotiate a way out
of the crisis.
After Ukrainian forces moved in against the militants Monday,
the deadly assault continued overnight.
The airport remained closed yesterday despite an easing in
the gunfire, as conflicting accounts emerged of how many
had lost their lives.
The Donetsk mayor s Web site didn t specify how many of
the 40 killed in the airport standoff were separatists.
But a spokeswoman for the separatist self-declared "Donetsk
People s Republic" (DNR) told CNN that 35 separatists had
been killed and about 60 injured in Monday s fighting.
A CNN team at a morgue in Donetsk saw a large pile of
separatist militant bodies, many of which had been torn apart
by shrapnel and explosions.
Doctors there said 31 bodies had been brought in with dif-
ferent types of injuries, from bullet wounds to those caused
by heavy weapons and explosions. The remains included the
body of a woman civilian.
The Ukrainian security forces muscular airport assault may
signal a shift in approach as the new president takes charge
A senior Ukrainian official told CNN s Jim Sciutto in Kiev
that it is "now or never" in the fight against militants in the
"We have been patient for far too long," he said, indicating
that with the election over, the new government believes it
has a mandate to put the insurgency to rest. CNN
ABUJA---Nigeria s military chiefs and
the president are apparently split over
how to free nearly 300 schoolgirls
abducted by Islamic extremists, with
the military saying use of force endan-
gers the hostages and the president
reportedly ruling out a prisoner-
The defence chief, Air Marshal Alex
Badeh, announced Monday night that
the military has located the girls, but
offered no details or a way forward.
"We can t go and kill our girls in the
name of trying to get them back," he
Previous military attempts to free
hostages have led to the prisoners being
killed by their abductors, including the
deaths of two engineers, a Briton and
an Italian, in Sokoto in March 2012.
A human rights activist close to medi-
ators said a swap of detained extremists
for the girls was negotiated a week ago
but fell through because President
Goodluck Jonathan refused to consider
Britain s Minister for Africa, Mark
Simmonds, said two weeks ago that the
Nigerian leader had told him categor-
ically he would not consider a prisoner
Community leader Pogu Bitrus of
Chibok, the town from which the girls
were abducted on April 15, says author-
ities are speaking with "discordant voic-
es" and the president appears under
pressure to negotiate.
"The pressure is there if his own lieu-
tenants are saying one (thing). Because
if they cannot use force, the deduction
is that there must be negotiation," Bitrus
said. "And if their commander-in-chief,
the president, is saying that he will not
negotiate, then they are not on the same
Nigeria s military and government
have faced national and international
outrage over their failure to rescue the
girls seized by Boko Haram militants
from a remote northeastern school six
weeks ago. AP
Nigeria army 'knows
where girls located'
...can't risk going in with force
People carry sand bags to set up a shooting position as a
pro-Russian gunman watches on the road leading from the
the airport to Donetsk, Ukraine, yesterday. AP PHOTO
Morgue fills as
Ukraine vows it's
'now or never'
Demonstrators hold up signs that read in Portuguese "There won't be a Cup. There will be strikes," centre, and "We need
schools, not stadiums" as they walk in front of the bus carrying members of Brazil's national soccer team as it leaves a
hotel for the Granja Comary training centre, where the team will train and reside during the World Cup, in Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil, Monday. Demonstrators are protesting the money being spent by the local government on the World Cup. AP PHOTO
Pakistan s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif hailed his first
one-on-one meeting Tuesday with India s newly elected
Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a "historic opportunity"
for the two nations.
A firm but simple handshake had sent a message to the
world on Monday that the heads of India and Pakistan
were ready to talk.
And talk they did, in a meeting at Hyderabad House,
a former palace in New Delhi, that lasted almost 50 min-
Sharif said both countries should work to overcome
their mutual mistrust, and that regional peace and stability
were key to achieving their common goals of development.
WORLD CUP PROTEST
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, right,
shakes hand with his Pakistani counterpart
Nawaz Sharif before the start of their meeting
in New Delhi, India, yesterday. AP PHOTO
India, Pakistan leaders signal steps to rebuild trust
Links Archive May 27th 2014 May 29th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page