Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 29th 2014 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
A 41-year-old man, now at the centre of a fiery
public debate and possible police investigation,
for his involvement in a racist placard demon-
stration last week, yesterday said he was paid to
In an exclusive interview with CNC3 last night,
Norbert Cupid, who admitted to being homeless,
said he was at Woodford Square, Port-of-Spain,
as people assembled for JTUM s protest march last
Friday when he was approached by a man in a red
He said the man rounded up some other men
and told them all that he had a job for them and
would pay them $50 if they agreed to do it. He said
the man then took them down tothe waterfront,
gave them red T-shirts and placards and told them
to march in front of Parliament.
Cupid said the group complied but while there
a United National Congress supporter confronted
one of them, hitting him in the face.
He said after they protested outside Parliament,
they then joined the JTUM march before dumping
the placards in a dumpster near the Customs and
Excise Building. The men then went back to Wood-
ford Square and collected their $50.
Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley has called
on the police to charge the group involved in the
protest with sedition.
But Cupid said when he heard that and realised
the police might be looking for them, he went to
the police and was told they could not deal with
He made it clear he was not racist but a man
who accepted an offer because he was desperate
for something to eat. He still had the red T-shirt
he was given to march but said he had no political
preference. (See Page A6)
Thursday, May 29, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Senior COP execs meet Roberts today as...
Homeless man: I
was paid to carry
Sports Minister Anil Roberts will go
before a committee of senior members of
the Congress of the People (COP) this
morning as investigations begin into the
controversial video which shows a person
resembling and sounding like a govern-
ment minister rolling a marijuana cigarette
in a hotel room with two women begins.
Party chairman Carolyn Seepersad-
Bachan yesterday confirmed an announce-
ment by political leader Prakash Ramadhar
that she and deputy political leader Dr
Anirudh Mahabir had been mandated to
conduct an investigation and make recom-
mendations to the party.
She also confirmed the meeting with
Roberts is scheduled for 8.30 am but did
not want to give the venue.
She said she expected the meeting would
allow Roberts, who has neither confirmed
nor denied he is the person in the video,
an opportunity to be heard in accordance
with the principles of natural justice.
"We may have a discussion with him
and find out from the others what they
want to do but to me it is a very straight-
forward issue," Seepersad-Bachan said.
General secretary Clyde Weatherhead
said on Tuesday that Roberts had indicated
his willingness to meet with party officials
and requested that he (Roberts) be present
when they view the video.
Speaking on CNC3 Morning Brew yes-
terday, Ramadhar said the fact that Roberts
was being investigated by the party to which
he belonged showed that its doctrine of
accountability was still being upheld.
Like Prime Minister Kamla Persad-
Bissessar, Ramadhar chose to keep a still
tongue until the matter was thoroughly
"I have to keep that level of presumption
of innocence in my mind, first and foremost,
but this is politics, so when the party makes
its findings we will act upon those. I don t
want to pre-empt anything, to influence
anything one way or the other," Ramadhar,
who is also Legal Affairs Minister, said.
However, he assured that if the findings
of the two investigations contradict each
other, they would deal with that accordingly
but he vowed that no member of his party
would be let off easily for misconduct.
He said the COP s principles of account-
ability would not be cast aside, regardless
of who was being investigated.
"Whenever anyone falls short the COP
will say we are sorry, nothing personal,
but it is about the future of this nation we
must build, " he added.
The fact that the video bears no time or
date has also fuelled speculation about its
However, BC Pires, editor of the Cre Ole
magazine, an edition of which is seen in
the video, has sought to shed some light
on the timeline.
In a letter to the editor yesterday, Pires
wrote: "Because the time of filming of the
alleged illegal activities of a government
minister in a hotel room has been ques-
tioned, I write to state that the incident
could not have taken place before January
2012. Unless there has been some extraor-
dinarily good manipulation of the images.
"I am the editor of an annual magazine,
Cre Ole - The Guide to Dining in Trinidad
and Tobago. The 2012 edition was published
in late December of 2011, effectively January
2012. I have looked at the video and can
state firmly that the magazine on which
the substance in the video footage was
packaged was the 2012 issue of Cre Ole.
"Another copy of the same magazine is
also in plain view on the video. The mag-
azine publisher also recognises the mag-
"However, useful or helpful it might be
to anyone, it is simply untrue to say the
events took place before 2012."
Sport Minister Anil Roberts speaks to the Unemployment Relief Programme (URP)
contractors protesting outside Parliament yesterday. They claimed they have not been
paid since September last year. PHOTO: SHIRLEY BAHADUR
Norbert Cupid, left, poses for a photo with a senior
police officer during the JTUM march last Friday
along Independence Square, Port-of-Spain. PHOTO:
Links Archive May 28th 2014 May 30th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page