Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 13th 2014 Contents Trinidad Release date::
June 18, 2014
Like us on Facebook:
Jon Hamm, Aasif Mandvi,
Bill Paxton, Suraj Sharma,
Lake Bell, Alan Arkin
Palak Patel, Kevin Halloran,
Bill Simmons, Connor Schell
12 Friday, June 13, 2014 • Issue 144
Based on a true story, sports agent JB Bernstein
(Jon Hamm) finds that business has changed and
things aren't going well for his career. In a last ditch ef-
fort to save his livelihood he concocts a scheme to find
baseball's next great pitching ace. Hoping to find a
young cricket pitcher he can turn into a major league
baseball star, JB travels to India to produce a reality
show competition called "The Million Dollar Arm."
With the help of cantankerous but eagle-eyed retired
baseball scout Ray Poitevint (Alan Arkin), he discovers
Dinesh (played by Madhur Mittal from "Slumdog Mil-
lionaire") and Rinku (played by Suraj Sharma from
"Life of Pi"), two 18-year-old boys who have no idea
about playing baseball, yet have a knack for throwing a
fastball. Hoping to sign them to major league contracts
and make a quick buck, JB brings the boys home to
America to train. While the Americans are definitely
out of their element in India, the boys, who have never
left their rural villages, are equally challenged when
they come to the States. As the boys learn the finer
points of baseball, JB, with the help of his charming
friend Brenda (Lake Bell), learns valuable life lessons
about teamwork, commitment and what it means to
be a family.
In Disney's drama "Million Dollar Arm," the fate of JB
Bernstein's career as a sports agent rests with finding an
exceptionally gifted young cricket pitcher in India, who
can be trained for an American major league baseball
• "Million Dollar Arm" is based on a true story.
• Filming occurred on location in India, as well as Atlanta,
Georgia and Los Angeles, California.
• Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter Tom McCarthy
("Up") spent two weeks in India traveling in the footsteps
of JB Bernstein, the real-life sports agent depicted in "Mil-
lion Dollar Arm."
• Jon Hamm was the production team's first choice to play
the lead role of JB Bernstein.
• Suraj Sharma, who plays Rinku, previously starred in Ang
Lee's award-winning "Life of Pi."
• Madhur Mittal, who was cast as Dinesh, starred in the in-
ternational hit, "Slumdog Millionaire."
• "Million Dollar Arm" began principal photography in India,
where the company shot for almost three weeks.
• Filming began in Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian
state of Maharashta, the most populous city in India and
with approximately 20.5 million residents. It is the fourth
most populated city in the world.
• The company traveled progressively inland, to Lucknow,
the capitol city of the state of Uttar Pradesh, where they
decamped for several days at Lucknow University, to film
the scenes in which Rinku and Dinesh win "The Million
Dollar Arm" competition.
• They ended their stay in Agra, home to the Taj Mahal.
• During filming, daily temperatures reached approximately
120 degrees Fahrenheit and hit those triple digits by mid-
• The filmmakers had no choice but to shoot in the spring,
the country's hottest season, due to a need to avoid the
• Suraj Sharma and Madhur Mital, who play Rinku and Di-
nesh, respectively, had to learn to play baseball.
• Baseball experts put Sharma and Mittal on an accelerated
training program, both on and off the field. When shooting
wrapped each day, Sharma and Mittal hit the gym for a
couple hours and drank special protein drinks throughout
to keep their energy and weight up.
• One of their very first pitching coaches was the real Di-
nesh Patel -- the production enlisted him to tutor Sharma
and Mittal in all things baseball even before production
landed in India.
• Major League Baseball player Mark Ellis (St. Louis Cardi-
nals) and former Minor League player Mike Ribaudo
served as baseball coordinator and pitching coach, respec-
• The real-life JB Bernstein has represented such prominent
sports icons as Barry Bonds, Barry Sanders, Emmitt
Smith and Wayne Gretzky.
• JB Bernstein achieved a Ph.D in physics and is pursuing a
• JB Bernstein continues to produce "The Million Dollar
Arm" competition in India.
• JB Bernstein married Brenda, portrayed in the movie by
Lake Bell. They live in Las Vegas with their daughter.
Links Archive June 12th 2014 June 14th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page