Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 1st 2014 Contents A61
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Chief Executive Officer
Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad & Tobago
Please be advised that the
of Trinidad and Tobago
#5 Eighth Avenue Extension,
off Twelfth Street, Barataria
will be closed on Tuesday 1st July, 2014
to facilitate the hosting of an off-site Interfaith Service
in celebration of the Authority's 10th Anniversary.
The Authority apologises for any
Official business operations will resume on
Wednesday 2nd July, 2014.
MILAN---AC Milan midfielder
Kaka officially left the Serie A club
yesterday to join Orlando City
A statement on the Milan Web
site said it had come to a "mutual
agreement (with Kaka) to end the
Brazil star's contract but there is
no doubt that the mutual feeling
of love and respect will always be
The 32-year-old Kaka scored
104 goals in 307 appearances during
his two spells at Milan, either side
of a four-year stint at Real Madrid.
He also helped Brazil to win the
World Cup in 2002.
"I will always be a Milan fan,
my heartfelt thanks to everyone,"
Kaka said. "I hope to send soon
messages to (Milan vice-president
Adriano) Galliani that I have sent
in the past: we are the champions
of Italy, we are the champions of
"It has been a difficult year for
all Milan fans, but for me to come
back to Milan, to reach the total
of more than 100 goals was impor-
tant: it was something that I could-
n't not do, to extend my history
with this club."
Kaka was scheduled to fly to the
United States from Brazil last night
to sign for Orlando's new Major
League Soccer franchise.
Kaka will return on loan to his
first club, Sao Paulo, before joining
Orlando City SC in January 2015
prior to its first MLS season.
Kaka, who was named World
Player of the Year in 2007, helped
Milan to the Champions league
title and Serie A success in his first
six-year spell at the club before
joining Real Madrid in 2009.
His return to the club was less
successful and was blighted by an
immediate injury layoff, during
which he renounced his salary.
Milan finished eighth, failing to
qualify for Europe for the first time
in 16 years.
"My choice isn't linked to the
fact Milan isn't playing in the
Champions League, it's something
else," Kaka said. "I won't anymore
wear the number 22, I want to also
leave this symbol to the Milan fans.
I think I will wear the number eight
in Brazil and the 10 in America.
"I took this holiday to think
about things, I always said I wanted
to play in America one day and
now I have reached an agreement
to play there.
"Now I will go on loan to Sao
Paolo and then I will start my
adventure in America." (AP)
Kaka ended his contract with AC Milan, leaving him free to sign with Orlando City Soccer Club. Kaka was
expected to fly to the United States yesterday, to sign with the new Major League Soccer franchise. AP PHOTO
Kaka leaves AC Milan
for Orlando City
ROME---The Italian football federa-
tion will elect its new president on
August 11, when it could also choose
the new coach of the national team.
FIGC president Giancarlo Abete and
coach Cesare Prandelli both resigned
immediately after Italy's 1-0 defeat to
Uruguay in the World Cup, which con-
signed the Azzurri to a disappointing
group stage exit.
Abete ratified his decision at a federal
council meeting yesterday, when a date
to choose his successor was scheduled.
The 63-year-old Abete has led Italian
football since 2007 and had three more
years left in his term after being re-
elected last year.
"I will try to manage the situation
to the best until August 11,"Abete said
after the meeting. "I don't have any
mental issues and it's not my custom
to abandon ship.
"The personal, professional and polit-
ical reasons which made my resignation
irreversible have been completely con-
Abete's replacement will have the
final say on the next coach.
One idea being mooted by the fed-
eration---and in particular by possible
future president Carlo Tavecchio---is to
choose an experienced coach who
would act as a mentor to a younger
long-term successor. (AP)
Italian football to elect
new head in August
MILAN---Inter Milan will retire the
No 4 jersey as a tribute to legendary
former captain Javier Zanetti, who
quit football at the end of last season.
Zanetti spent 19 seasons at Inter,
helping it to five Serie A titles, four
Italian Cups and a Champions League
Inter President Erick Thohir confirms
yesterday that the 40-year-old Zanetti
will stay at the club as vice president
for the next two years.
Thohir also says he is in talks with
manager Walter Mazzarri about a one-
year contract extension, which would
tie the former Napoli coach to Inter
The Indonesian businessman says
"we want to be able to work with the
coach for the next two years, building
a strong squad and creating stability
for the future." (AP)
Inter Milan to retire Zanetti's No 4 shirt
Rapid Vienna says American forward
Terrence Boyd is leaving to join Red
Bull Leipzig in Germany's second divi-
Rapid announced on its website yes-
terday that the teams have agreed to the
deal and Boyd will take a physical for
Leipzig before finalizing a three-year
contract. The 23-year-old, who was born
in Bremen, Germany, was among the
final seven cuts from the US World Cup
roster. He scored a career-high 20 goals
last season and had 37 goals in two sea-
sons with Rapid. (AP)
Rapid Vienna says Boyd to join Red Bull Leipzig
Links Archive June 30th 2014 July 2nd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page