Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 7th 2014 Contents A9
Monday, July 7, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Port-of-Spain mayor Raymond Tim Kee
says it will take millions to refurbish the
city s market.
He made the comment yesterday follow-
ing a tour of the facility to get a first-hand
look at some of the complaints he has long
been hearing from vendors and the public.
Tim Kee was greeted with rubbish thrown
carelessly outside a dumpster, a bad stench
and a plethora of complaints from vendors
as he walked onto the compound.
Asked if he thought one million dollars
would be enough to rectify the problems
at the market, Tim Kee said, "That s not
enough, we need a lot more than that. A
million dollars is not much money now.
"I can t hazard a guess, I am not in the
quantity surveying business, neither am I
an engineer. What I do know is that other
infrastructural work has to be done and
infrastructure is costly."
As though partly blaming the vendors for
the condition of the market after the tour,
Tim Kee said vendors are required to have
bins next to their stall but don t.
"They (the vendors) seem to be arguing
that the state has a responsibility of providing
bins. And that is true but not for them, (the
vendors) it is for the customer.
"They ought to have a bin to deposit their
stuff when it s rotted or spoilt. What they
have been doing is just dropping it next to
their stall on the ground."
Describing what he saw, Tim Kee said,
"Untidiness, uncleanliness and shabby con-
ditions. It is not the first time I have come
Disappointed but determined to turn
around the problem, he said he planned on
meeting stakeholders, among them the
police, litter wardens, City Corporation
employees, engineers and health inspectors,
on Wednesday. He added that the stake-
holders would have to prepare a situational
analysis to determine how the issues can
Highly critical of the workers under the
Port-of-Spain City Corporation, he said
those charged with the responsibility of tak-
ing care of the market had not done a good
job. The riot act may have to be read to
some workers, he predicted.
"That s what gets me angry. You are being
paid to do a job, at least do something.
"Nobody could tell me that they have
been walking around and not seeing things
that need attention. I am not in the mood
for excuses or inclinations," Tim Kee said.
He also did not rule out using Cepep
workers to help in the rehabilitation process.
Asked whether he thought politics had
affected the upkeep of the market, he said,
"I don t want to venture there. I don t know
if it is politics as much as it is our people."
South West Regional Health Authority
(SWRHA) chairman Dr Lackram Bodoe has wel-
comed Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan s proposed
two-year internship plan for doctors.
Speaking with reporters at the SWRHA s Sports
and Family Day at PowerGen Grounds, Penal, on
Saturday, Bodoe said the plan to extend medical
students internship from one year to two was a
"Any plan that will increase the skills, knowledge
and the ability of young doctors is certainly a good
plan. When I graduated from medical school almost
30 years ago I did participate in a two-year intern-
ship and I found that experience to be quite useful
in terms of giving me the additional experience,"
Last week, Khan s proposed extension of the
internship period for medical students, both foreign
and local, was met with protests. This prompted
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to call on
Khan to put a halt to the plan and enter into con-
sultation with UWI, students and healthcare pro-
Bodoe said he believes there will be board support
for the new programme and the SWRHA would
also welcome the plan.
However, he hastened to add, "I do believe that
such a change in policy should be well thought
out. I am happy that the minister is looking at a
way to discuss this change in policy with the stake-
He dismissed suggestions that the policy change
would create friction within the health sector.
"I think at the end of the day the great majority
of all doctors are supportive of any measures that
will improve their skills and abilities and, by exten-
sion, their abilities to provide the best healthcare
for the patients.
"So while there may be little hitches in the short
term, I think in the long term this is something
that will benefit patients," he said.
Bodoe said he was confident doctors would be
in agreement with such a move.
He declined to say if the policy change was con-
nected to growing complaints from patients who
access public healthcare. He said in the SWRHA
he could not identify deficiencies at any one level.
"Of course there are complaints, but there are
moves to address these and strengthen the system,"
Bodoe said. (RR)
Six policemen accused of
setting prisoner Jameson John
on fire at the Princes Town
Police Station on Christmas
Eve were positively identified
over the weekend. But all the
officers have been released
from police custody pending
Police sources said yesterday
that five of them were positively
identified during identification
parades at the Barataria Police
Station on Saturday, but no
charges have been laid yet.
John, 18, of Moruga, had
reported to police that seven
police officers doused him with
a flammable liquid and set him
on fire at the Princes Town
Police Station on Christmas
Eve. He was taken into custody
during the investigation of a
series of house break-ins in
The Professional Standards
Bureau of the police service
investigated the matter and led
to the detention of officers on
John, who is being represent-
ed by attorney Petronella Bas-
deo, also reported the incident
to both the police and the Police
Complaints Authority (PCA),
but the PCA investigation is
The investigation was
launched after John suffered
burns while in custody at the
Princes Town station on
December 24. He was taken
from the station to the San Fer-
nando General Hospital, where
he was treated for burns to his
torso, leg and genital area.
The police claimed John had
spilt methylated spirits on his
clothing while tending to a foot
wound at his home and sus-
tained the injuries later when
he was passing by lit scented
candles at the station and his
clothing caught fire. But John
and his mother denied their
claim. His mother said he was
only wearing underpants when
the police poured a flammable
liquid on him and set him
Sgt Deodath Seepersad of the
Professional Standards Bureau
is continuing investigations.
Port-of-Spain Mayor Raymond Tim Kee, left, and acting Port-of-Spain Market
administrator Usha Maharaj chat with vendor Mohan during a tour of the market
yesterday. PHOTO: SHIRLEY BAHADUR
Cops accused of setting prisoner alight released after ID parade
Tim Kee upset during PoS market tour:
Refurbishment will be costly
Links Archive July 5th 2014 July 8th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page