Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 19th 2014 Contents A9
Saturday, July 19, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
TBack To School
FOLLOW THE LEADER
Cor. Queen & Henry Sts., P.O.S.
Tel: 625-2904 / Fax: 623-2313 0719048
AND A WHOLE LOT MORE
A contempt hearing against Pub-
lic Services Association president
Watson Duke for allegedly breach-
ing an injunction against staff of
the Immigration Department has
been adjourned to allow his lawyers
additional time to prepare his
Although Industrial Court pres-
ident Deborah Thomas-Felix said
the court was required to adjudicate
over contempt proceedings expedi-
tiously, she nevertheless granted the
union extra time to obtain evidence
and source witnesses.
Earlier in yesterday s hearing, the
union s lawyer, Douglas Mendes,
SC, had said because his clients faced
the prospect of jail if found guilty,
they were entitled to as much time
as needed to present their defence.
Mendes said he would only be
willing to expedite the trial if Labour
and Small and Micro Enterprises
Minster Errol McLeod, who obtained
the injunction and initiated the con-
tempt proceedings, was willing to
withdraw his request for imprison-
ment of his client.
Mendes also said his client s
defence was also being delayed by
some missing pages in a report pre-
pared by the Caribbean Industrial
Research Institute (Cariri) for the
department s office in Port-of-
He said the report was vital to
the testimony of acting Chief Immi-
gration Officer Gerry Downes and
as such he could not continue his
cross-examination of the senior
While testifying last week Friday,
Downes admitted there had been
issues with toilets, ceiling tiles and
hanging wires at the office, but
claimed steps had been taken to rec-
tify them since an inspection of the
building on July 4.
In response to Mendes s query
about the document, lead attorney
for the State, Russell Martineau, SC,
assured the court he would look into
the issue and rectify it.
Martineau was also able to tender
the statements of two witnesses,
Derek Ali and Keon Brewster. Ali is
the lawyer who prepared both the
injunction and contempt proceed-
ings for McLeod, while Brewster
served the documents on Duke and
Permanent secretary in the Min-
istry of National Security Carl Fran-
cis is also expected be called as a
The case has been adjourned to
next Tuesday and Wednesday.
Chandroutie London and her husband Kenrick
London will not face trial for allegedly murdering
and burying their one-year-old son at their home
Yesterday, the charge against them was dropped
after state attorney Anju Bhola told Justice Norton
Jack that the State would no longer be prosecuting
The couple s lawyers applied for the discontin-
uation because the Londons are already serving
double life sentences for the murders of their five-
month-old daughter Vidya and Chandroutie s sister
Meena Sookoo, 22.
Bhola said the notice to discontinue the proceed-
ings, signed by Director of Public Prosecutions Roger
Gaspard, had been filed.
The couple was charged with murdering their
son Daniel on a date unknown between January 31,
1995, and March 1, 1995. Daniel was found buried
at their Caratal Village, Gasparillo, home.
Lawyers Richard Valere and Lisa Singh-Phillip
appeared on behalf of Kenrick, while lawyers Wilston
Campbell and Lana Lakhan represented Chandroutie.
A Port-of-Spain man accused
of shooting Marvin Campbell at
a La Brea bar last week appeared
in court yesterday on three
charges, including ones for mur-
der and arms and ammunition.
Ronald Cobham, 42, a labourer
of Nelson Street, appeared before
deputy Chief Magistrate Mark
Wellington in the San Fernando
All the charges stemmed from
the shooting incident on July 11
at Vessigny Village, La Brea,
where Campbell, 40, a supervisor
from Sobo Village, La Brea, was
gunned down while working at
Cobham was charged by Cpl
Darell Blackman of the La Brea
Wellington transferred the mur-
der charge to Point Fortin Court
for July 22 and the other charges
to the Siparia Court for the next
Duke's lawyers given more time
Labourer on murder charge
Couple will not face
trial for son's murder
In April 2003, Chandroutie, 40, and Kenrick
London, 51, were found guilty and sentenced to
death for the murder of their five-month-old
The police found the baby's body on
December 2, 1997, in a latrine pit at the couple's
home. They then faced another trial for the
murder of Chandroutie's sister, Meena Sookoo,
22, for which they were also convicted and
sentenced to death.
Sookoo was poisoned by the couple, who
performed occult practices on the corpse at a
cane field in Couva between November 28 and
The Londons appealed, but the Court of
Appeal affirmed both death sentences and they
were sent to Death Row.
In 2008, however, Justice Nolan Bureaux,
following a constitutional motion filed on behalf
of 52 Death Row prisoners, including
Chandroutie and London, ordered them to be
removed from Death Row and their sentences
commuted to life imprisonment.
THE EARLIER CASES
Convicted murderer Chandroutie London leaves
the San Fernando High Court after an appearance
earlier this month. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Kenrick London is all smiles as he leaves the San
Fernado High Court yesterday.
PHOTO: SASCHA WILSON
McLeod obtained the injunction after immigration staff refused to
work for almost two months because of health and safety conditions
at the department's main offices in Port-of-Spain and San Fernando.
The action left the department virtually crippled, and led to public
outcry from citizens who were unable to renew their passports, even
for urgent overseas travel.
Last week, the minister filed the contempt proceedings against
Duke and immigration officer Purdy Babwah, alleging that the two,
along with other members of staff, encouraged and participated in
industrial action, which they were barred from doing under the
injunction granted on July 3.
ABOUT THE CASE
Links Archive July 18th 2014 July 20th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page