Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 20th 2014 Contents A7
July 20, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
Principal of the St Michael s
School for Boys Kelvin Nancoo
claims that more than four years
ago allegations of rampant
"abuse, incompetency and mis-
management" were reported to
the authorities at the home, but
it was swept under the carpet.
Nancoo said when the report
was made and nothing was done,
he tendered his resignation as a
member of the Anglican board
after eight years of service.
At that time, Calvin Bess was
head of the Anglican Diocese of
T&T. Anglican Bishop Clyde
Berkley is now head of the Diocese.
The chairman of the board of
management of the St Michael s
home is Deacon Eric Thompson.
Alison Salandy is manager of the
Nancoo said what pushed him
to resign from the board was when
a member "told me nothing will
change and nobody is going to
remove those responsible..."
Everything was unearthed on
Tuesday when Attorney General
Anand Ramlogan revealed that he
had asked the Acting Commis-
sioner of Police Stephen Williams
and the Director of Public Pros-
ecutions Roger Gaspard to launch
a criminal investigation into the
operations of the home after he
read from a report into the death
of inmate Brandon Hargreaves,
who was found dead at the home
in April 2014.
Hargreaves report showed sex-
ual abuse of inmates by supervisors
and violents fights among inmates.
"I told them years ago that it
would come back to haunt them.
And it has," Nancoo said.
"If there is a tribunal and they
want me to speak, then I will. I
have expressed my disgust on
many occasions to those in author-
ity, but it was pushed under the
Yesterday, after being told of
reports reaching the Sunday
Guardian that files at the home
were being destroyed as an inves-
tigation was launched, Deputy
Commissioner of Police Glenn
Hackett said he would dispatch a
team to deal with the issue.
Berkley refused to answer ques-
tions about the report, but said he
welcomed the investigation and
"a press release on the matter will
be issued soon."
carpet for years
St Michael's School for Boys...
Eighteen people on their way to the
Ministry of Community Development
family day had to be treated at the
Chaguanas Health Facility yesterday
after the maxi they were travelling in
skidded off the road.
The cause of the early morning
accident is yet to be determined, but
the Sunday Guardian understands
that the prevailing weather conditions
and wet roads may have played a part.
The accident occurred shortly after
9 am yesterday, near the Mid Centre
Mall, along the Solomon Hochoy
Reports are that a maxi driver was
heading South with 17 passengers on
board when he lost control and ran off
the road. There were no serious injuries
In another vehicular accident, Lindon
Jackson, 33, died when he lost control
of the vehicle he was driving and
slammed into a parked car.
Investigators said at around 6.30 pm
on Friday, Jackson, of Wallerfield Road,
Wallerfield, was driving his car west
along the Old Valencia Road, when he
crashed into the vehicle.
Jackson was taken to the Sangre
Grande Hospital but had already suc-
cumbed to his injuries.
National Security Minister
Gary Griffith believes the criminal
element is courting the media to
create a negative public percep-
tion of patrolling soldiers.
Griffith, in a telephone interview
with the Sunday Guardian, said
the law-abiding citizens living in
the Laventille area were pleased
that the patrols kept them safe
from the criminal element that
was running rampant in the area.
"The presence of these soldiers
mean the law-abiding citizens can
cross the streets, walk in their
neighbourhoods without a threat
from the criminals. But the pres-
ence of the soldiers are also curbing
the criminals business, their liveli-
hood," Griffith said.
He believed that those criminal
elements then took stories of abuse
to the media in order to tarnish
the image of the patrolling soldiers
in the public s mind.
"Because to date, we have had
no reports of violence against civil-
ians by the soldiers. Not one...but
stories all over the media," he said.
To ensure that reports were easy
to make, Griffith said a hotline was
being established under the remit
of the National Security Operations
"This will ensure that anyone
with a complaint against soldiers
or police can call directly to the
NSOC for investigation," he said.
He said there had been thou-
sands of soldier foot patrols and
no official report of abuse made
to any office other than the media.
"If a report does come in, it will
shut down that soldier, it will not
shut down the entire operation,"
Griffith said he met with Chief
of Defence Staff, Brigadier Kenrick
Maharaj, and Acting Commissioner
of Police Stephen Williams on sev-
eral occasions and they shared the
same confidence in the joint
"I should also point out that
even if two soldiers are on patrol
without a police officer present,
they are not acting independently,
they are part of a wider operation
and at all times, we are aware of
their locations," he said.
The Sunday Guardian attempted
to reach Maharaj and Williams on
several occasions on Friday, but
Maharaj has not yet made any
public statement since the reports
of soldier abuse were ventilated in
When the Sunday Guardian
attempted to reach Williams again
yesterday, a woman answered his
mobile phone and directed the
paper to call back in 30 minutes.
There was no answer when the
Sunday Guardian tried as direct-
Hotline to report soldiers, cops
...Griffith claims criminals tarnishing their image
18 injured as maxi crashes
This damaged maxi taxi is being loaded onto a wrecker to be towed away after it
capsized on the Uriah Butler Highway in the vicinity of Mid Centre Mall,
Chaguanas, yesterday, after the driver lost control. PHOTO: SHASTRI BOODAN
Anglican Bishop Clyde Berkley
Links Archive July 19th 2014 July 21st 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page