Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 31st 2014 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, July 31, 2014
The Appeal Court will deliver its
decision on August 8 on the High-
way Re-route Movement (HRM) s
application for an injunction to stop
the Debe to Mon Desir segment of
the Point Fortin Highway.
Appeal Court judges Rajendra Nar-
ine, Gregory Smith and Prakash Moo-
sai have been asked to overturn the
ruling of High Court judge James
Aboud who refused the HRM s initial
request in May.
During an appeal hearing earlier
this month, Russell Martineau, SC,
head of the State s legal team, opposed
He cited the group s unwarranted
delay between the filing of its sub-
stantive lawsuit in August 2012 and
the application, which the HRM
sought during a case-management
conference last September.
Martineau submitted the injunction
would lead to cost overruns on the
project because of agreements with
third party contractors.
He has also asked the court to pro-
nounce on the behaviour of the
group s leader, environmentalist Dr
Wayne Kublalsingh, who was arrested
on several occasions for attempting
to block vehicles and machinery at
the construction site.
State attorneys also have filed a
cross-appeal, in which they are asking
the court to strike out portions of
Aboud s judgment, in which he is
alleged to have made final rulings on
key issues of the substantive case
which is yet to go on trial.
In response, lawyers representing
the HRM contended they did not
delay in seeking the injunction as
their application was in response to
increased activity at the site.
Senior Counsel Fyard Hosein
denied his client, Kublalsingh,
engaged in illegal activity, saying he
was exercising his constitutional right
Hosein also argued that Aboud s
rulings on the key issues were only
provisional and his opinion might
change after hearing more detailed
submissions during the trial.
The State is being represented by
Deborah Peake, SC, Kelvin
Ramkisson, Gerald Ramdeen and
The HRM legal team includes
Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, SC, and
JENSEN LA VENDE
With the murder toll increasing
almost daily, the family of one mur-
der victim, who was only identified
yesterday, is calling on the nation
to pray, saying their tears would not
be in vain.
The murder toll, according to a
T&T Guardian tally, is now 253, 40
more than for the corresponding peri-
od last year.
Speaking to the media yesterday
at the Forensic Science Centre, St
James, relatives of Leroy Wells said
he was a sickly man who lived at
Chaguanas and Fyzabad with relatives
and used to sell slippers and other
items to make ends meet.
His sister Kemba Wells said: "Last
time I see him I gave him a jersey
and my daughter give him money.
He said he coming back but he didn t
"On Sunday police come and say
he s in forensic. They said they find
the body and it was decomposed. I
said, How it decomposed if he miss-
ing two days?
"What really going on in this coun-
try? Why we have to be burying our
children and then forget them? Why?
God don t sleep and you see these
tears, they will never be in vain.
"My brother wasn t well, he had
heart problems. He couldn t work."
Wells s body was found in Sea Lots
on July 25 after people living at Pio-
neer Drive reported they heard several
gunshots around 7.30 pm. Shortly
after, the body of a man was found
lying in the road with gunshot
Another female relative of Wells
was heard in the background yester-
day calling on the nation to pray.
She said all races needed to get up
and pray because there was too much
bloodshed and called on people to
"pray like you never prayed before."
In an unrelated incident, the rel-
atives of Nicholas Selby, who was
killed in Diego Martin on Tuesday
night, said he was killed after he
sought to make peace.
Police said around 10.30 pm gun-
shots were heard at La Puerta Road,
Diego Martin, and residents found
the 26-year-old Selby in a track with
gunshot wounds. He was taken to
the St James Medical Complex where
he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Relatives described Selby as "a cool
person" who was liked by all but said
he and another man had a disagree-
ment and he had gone to meet with
some people to "reason out the sit-
uation" in an attempt to avoid blood-
The 51-year-old man who
was allegedly held last
weekend with over half-a-
million US dollars in cash
appeared in court yesterday
charged with possession of
a Tec-9 automatic gun and
75 rounds of ammunition.
appeared before Senior Mag-
istrate Indrani Cedeno and
was granted $250,000 bail
for the weapon and ammu-
No charges were laid
against him for the cash. He
will re-appear in court on
The money, amounting to
US$500,000, was seized
from a car in San Juan by the
Northern Division Task Force
Police said Beresford-
Cooper was allegedly held
with the gun, ammunition
and cash around 12.15 am
after Northern Division Task
Force police, co-ordinated by
Senior Supt David Abraham
and headed by Insp Mark
Maharaj and Sgt Harewood,
stopped a blue Nissan Navara
pickup in Nicholasville, San
After searching the car they
found the gun and ammuni-
tion in a suitcase in the back
seat with the cash beneath.
The winning number
drawn yesterday on Crime
Watch was 271262.
If your unique number
found at the back of your
yesterday s T&T Guardian
is 271262, you now have
until 5 pm today to claim
your jackpot of $11,000
Come to the T&T
Guardian s head office, 22-
24 St Vincent Street, Port-
of-Spain, by 5 pm, walk
with your copy of the T&T
Guardian newspaper (com-
plete newspaper) containing
the winning number on the
back, and photo identifica-
tion. The presentation of
your prize will be done
"live" on Crime Watch
Also, tune into Crime
Watch live tonight from 6
pm, on CNC3, for today s
draw. If the number drawn
matches the number on the
back of your today s T&T
Guardian, then you win
today s jackpot.
For more information
please call 623 8870 ext.
2383, Monday to Friday, 8.30
Members of the Malick Folk Performance Dance Company perform during Emancipation Day celebrations hosted by the Ministry of Food Production at the
ministry's head office, St Clair, yesterday. PHOTO: MARYANN AUGUSTE
Man in US$.5m
bust on gun,
Murder victim's family calls for prayers
Nicholas Selby, 26, who was shot
dead at La Puerta, Diego Martin, on
Ruling on Re-route
injunction August 8
Links Archive July 30th 2014 August 1st 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page