Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 10th 2014 Contents A6
Sunday Guardian www.guardian.co.tt August 10, 2014
AZEE SHIPPING &
TRADING CO. LTD.
Tradezone Compound, El Socorro
Ext#1, San Juan.
HAVE BEEN CHANGED
The NEW numbers are as follow:
We apologise for any inconvenience
caused by this change. 0808046
Leaders of the political parties
comprising the People s Partnership
have started discussions on how
seats will be allocated for the next
general election, now months away.
This has been confirmed by the
PP s campaign manager Rodney
Charles, who said talks had begun,
but a formal negotiating process had
not yet been put in place. Charles
told the Sunday Guardian that the
parties would reach an accommo-
dation on the seats to be allocated,
and that the loss of the Movement
for Social Justice from the original
coalition government would not lead
to a grab for additional seats.
In an interview with the Sunday
Guardian, Charles also confirmed
that some members of the Govern-
ment were unlikely to return to the
electorate. He said the PP expected
to attract new candidates.
He said: "We expect that there
will be a mixture of the present Gov-
ernment and some new, vibrant
faces. But, as I said so far, we have
not had any seat allocation and as
a result, it will be premature to talk
about who will be going in which
Charles statement comes in the
wake of suggestions from UNC
insiders that certain ones including
Fuad Khan, Winston "Gypsy" Peters
and Nizam Baksh are all going to be
out of the PP s lineup for the next
The Sunday Guardian understands
that former T&T cricket captain
Daren Ganga is expected to replace
Baksh as the representative for
Asked if he had political ambitions
and was interested in running in the
next general election, Ganga was
cautious. He said the suggestion that
he would replace Baksh in the safe
seat was news to him, and that he
had had no formal offer from the
PP.He said, "Yes, I have heard the
rumours but they are baseless. I have
no formal offer and therefore I can t
comment on something in which
there is no formal offer. What I can
say is that at this time my focus is
some commentating, and I also per-
form my role as sport ambassador."
Asked about Ganga as the next
candidate, Charles reiterated that
the UNC had not reached that stage
in election preparation but opined
that Ganga fitted the demographic.
"Daren Ganga fits the demograph-
ic of the kind of candidates we are
looking for: young, vibrant people.
We need the children of the UNC
to come forward," Charles explained.
For his part, Nizam Baksh told the
Sunday Guardian that he had no
intention of bowing out of politics.
He said his age ought not to be a
"I can beat many a young man in
many things right now. I don t see
age as a factor, and I too am a child
of the UNC. I intend to run again
as long as my constituents want me,
and I have been getting a lot of sup-
port from them," Baksh said.
He acknowledged that there had
been suggestions that Ganga might
replace him, but he was not con-
cerned about those rumours.
Charles said the UNC was now
engaged in rebuilding its party struc-
tures and only after that was done
would candidates be selected. That,
he said, was a long way off.
• From page A3
The Sportt report also criticised the Central
Audit Unit (CAU) report and sought to clarify some
of the details made public after Persad-Bissessar
tabled its findings in Parliament on July 24, 2014.
The board denied the CAU findings that eBeam
was "selected mainly because of the company s
president/CEO Mr Adolphus Daniell s track record
as an educator."
The board instead pointed its finger at Mollen-
"The former CEO (Mr John Mollenthiel) informed
the board that the Ministry of Sport (MOS) did
the appropriate due diligence in the selection of
the eBeam Interact Ltd," the report states.
"Mr Mollenthiel stated that Ashwin Creed
advised that the only reason that Sportt was being
asked to enter into this contract was that the con-
tract sum was in excess of the financial limit of
the PS of the MOS," the board states.
The board stated that it was only by December
2013, one year after the contract with eBeam was
already signed and the second payment became
due, that the board saw the contract.
"The board expressed concerns that Mr Mol-
lenthiel signed such a contract," the report said.
The board said it sought legal advice and "refused
to support payment of the second instalment for
approximately four months after Mr Mollenthiel
made his initial recommendation for payment."
This was done, the board said, even though by
then Creed had approved the payment of the
second $17 million.
That second payment, according to the docu-
ments, was paid only after the legal direction to
Be viewing CNC3 tonight for more
PP looking for 'young, vibrant' candidates
...for upcoming general election
• From Page A3
The breakdown of the scope of works shows
Reno Energy charged the Life Sport programme
$20,300 to remove all weeds and knott grass from
the fields and an additional $30,400 for services
and supplies "not limited to weed killers and fer-
tilizers." Reno Energy charged a further $14,250 to
clean and maintain the playing surface.
According to the company registration, one direc-
tor of Reno Energy also had a secondary company
which was contracted to provide meals to 65 par-
ticipants and charged $91,000 for meals for 20
days. This catering company, named Jolene Legere,
is not listed on the Companies Registry.
• Meanwhile, Kadeem and Associates provided
invoices for training at a cost of $970,000 but was
also invited by Life Sport to send a quotation for
the supply of uniforms, sports equipment and team
kits. That quotation came in at over $2 million.
• A further 38 caterers earned over $3 million in
Thirty-three of those caterers earned $86,450
for providing 65 breakfasts and lunches over the
course of 19 days.
Former Sportt CEO 'regretted'
signing eBeam contract
Sportt's board of directors said Mollenthiel's
admissions to the CAU investigators revealed
fresh information to them.
The board says that Mollenthiel made four
admissions to the CAU that they learned for
the first time during their joint interview with
• That he had signed the contract "mainly to
avoid delays in the implementation of the
numeracy and literacy programme."
• That he was told that the contract should
• That he regretted signing the contract.
• That he felt he had been "set up."
"Had the board been so aware, all efforts
would have been made to ascertain the
person(s) who instructed Mr Mollenthiel that
the contract should be 'loose' and to ascertain
who had set up Mr Mollenthiel and address
those matters," the board noted.
However, in several e-mail exchanges
between Mollenthiel and the board members
of Sportt, Mollenthiel praised eBeam's ability
In one e-mail dated December 5, 2012,
Mollenthiel justified the sole selection of
eBeam for the hefty project.
"Holistically, I am not aware of any other
programme like it available locally," he said in
that e-mail to the Sportt chairman.
The series of e-mails also reveals that the
$17 million payment made to eBeam on
December 6, and expected again by
September 2013, was not part of the original
The original agreement sought that $34
million as part of a two-year contract, with a
first-year payment of $18.5 million and a
second-year payment of $15.5 million.
The documents do not show when that
agreement was altered.
The CAU's interim report, cited by the
Sportt board, noted that it found the contract
with eBeam to be more favourable to the
company than to Sportt.
The Sunday Guardian attempted to contact
Mollenthiel on two mobile numbers listed on
Mollenthiel did not respond to several calls
and texts from the Sunday Guardian.
BOARD IN THE DARK...MOLLENTHIEL NOW CLAIMS 'SET-UP'
The Tabaquite Recreational Grounds which was one of the grounds refurbished by
Life Sport contractor Reno Energy. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Attention readers! Remem-
ber to keep your Saturday, Sun-
day and Monday T&T
Guardian papers. Tune into
Crime Watch live tomorrow
from 6 pm, on CNC3, for the
There will be one winning
number worth at least $1,500
cash. If the number drawn
matches the number on the back
of either your Saturday, Sunday
or Monday T&T Guardian
papers, then you win tomorrow s
The jackpot for last Friday
stands at $1,500 cash. Remem-
ber, if no one claims this prize
on Monday by 5 pm, the jackpot
will roll over to $3,000 for the
Monday night draw.
Keep reading your Guardian
and watching Crime Watch for
your chance to win!
Read! Watch! Ca$h! Mega-Mondays Draw
Caterers earn over
$3m in one month
Links Archive August 9th 2014 August 11th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page